Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Along the lines. I too have had the dead battery syndrome. Maybe because they weren't properly charged before I stored. So I have new pd4655, but probably didn't get enough on the batteries. Seelevel read 12.4 and I added 5 watt solar on propane tank cover directly to batteries. AS in store mode. 2 weeks later, Seelevel reads 11.4.
Now on shore power for 4 straight days, water level checked all cells. I will be storing 4 weeks to next trip. I think I'd prefer to disconnect negative terminal this time. BUT,
I see 2 harnesses leaving the battery compartment. Each has a connection to one battery or the other grp24.
I assume one is inbound from PD4655 and the other is the one I need to disconnect. For the prize, which one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455314141266.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	257192  
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quick reply: My AS is almost never in "use" mode. Not on the road, not when hooked to shore power. Only when I go to pick her up out of the storage unit or putting her back in.

Am I being told that I'm never charging my batteries?
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You are only charging your batteries when the switch is in USE mode and you are connected to grid power.

Also, while you are towing, but only if your tow vehicle is set up right. Contrary to what has been said in one of the posts above, the USE/STORE switch does not change the tow vehicle charging.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
You are only charging your batteries when the switch is in USE mode and you are connected to grid power.

Also, while you are towing, but only if your tow vehicle is set up right. Contrary to what has been said in one of the posts above, the USE/STORE switch does not change the tow vehicle charging.

Then there is absolutely NO reason that it should be called "store" mode. The relabeling shall begin!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Here's how it's going to look!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455340774.465508.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	257209
Old 02-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Then there is absolutely NO reason that it should be called "store" mode. The relabeling shall begin!

The switch does not change the charging of the tow vehicle, but it does not allow the trailer to charge the batteries if in the OFF position.

From your picture in the last post when my switch is in use the light is red. When it's in store mode it's clear.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
From your picture in the last post when my switch is in use the light is red. When it's in store mode it's clear.

Right. That's a black and white photo that appears to have the light on.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Santa Barbara , California
I'm a newbie with a 2016 Bambi. I'm not an electrician. Most times I can't spell the word. Anyway here is my issue. My AS is parked right next to my business so every morning I go out and plug in a Solar panel and charger I got from Renogy. I charges most of the day at around 30 watts and somewhere between 11.5 and 13 volts. At the end of the day my battery readout says I have 12.6 to 12.8-9 volts which I understand is full charge. The next morning I come in and check the voltage and it has dropped to the low 12s or high 11s. This seems weird to me. I have been told not to run it below 11.6 so it's almost discharged every am. Everything I can find to turn off is off except propane detector. Is this normal or does anyone think I have a leak or short or whatever. All help appreciated. Thanks
Steve
SB Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Putting a batteryMinder on my batteries tomorrow because of these issues.
Rocket53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

UPDATE: De-winterized and went on the first trip. Batteries were so dead I had to hook up the umbilical just to get the power Jack to raise. After a two hour drive, batteries back to 12 and holding steady. Returned to storage and went back a week later to check... 11.9v. Go figure! So great to be on the road again.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
UPDATE: De-winterized and went on the first trip. Batteries were so dead I had to hook up the umbilical just to get the power Jack to raise. After a two hour drive, batteries back to 12 and holding steady. Returned to storage and went back a week later to check... 11.9v. Go figure! So great to be on the road again.
Are you batteries the original ones, and are they still under warranty? You might consider asking the dealer for replacement batteries IMO, if the facts warrant.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #52
Rivet Master

I might ask. They're holding a charge now though so I would guess a bench test would reveal them to be in fine condition and unwarranteeable. (If that's a word).
Old 03-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
After charging, leave one cable unhooked until you need to use, you will know if battery are goog.. My batteries will go south in about 1.5 weeks...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #54
Rivet Master

I don't think I've ever touched something electrical and not gotten shocked. It's a risk / reward thing!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #55
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You need a battery disconnect switch to kill the parasitic drain when you store the coach. The marine supply stores sell them. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I notice a lot of late-model owners are reluctant to keep the battery in "use" (ON or Charging) mode when stored and hooked up to shore power.
If your Airstream is a later model (mine is a 2008) it is likely equipped with a multi-stage power supply and will "taper" or "trickle/maintain" charge your battery if it's kept in "use" (ON) mode, just fine. Check your battery water level every few months or so.

Only if you do NOT have a multi-stage power supply would it make any sense to disconnect the battery when hooked up to shore power.

The "store" position has almost no valid use other than to remove it from shore power re-charge circuit because of a defective or single-stage power supply when the coach is not being used for any purpose. (And even then, I cannot figure out why a propane detector should be continually powered when the vehicle is disabled in storage and no one is around to hear the detector.)

(I agree that a battery minder hooked up to a disconnected battery is a good idea for those with older, single-stage chargers/pwr-supplies.... but again, if the battery is disconnected and no shore power...then there's no propane detection going on either.... so why would it be req'd to be powered if no one is around simply because the battery is connected?) (Ans. NOT)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I notice a lot of late-model owners are reluctant to keep the battery in "use" (ON or Charging) mode when stored and hooked up to shore power.
If your Airstream is a later model (mine is a 2008) it is likely equipped with a multi-stage power supply and will "taper" or "trickle/maintain" charge your battery if it's kept in "use" (ON) mode, just fine. Check your battery water level every few months or so.

Only if you do NOT have a multi-stage power supply would it make any sense to disconnect the battery when hooked up to shore power.

The "store" position has almost no valid use other than to remove it from shore power re-charge circuit because of a defective or single-stage power supply when the coach is not being used for any purpose. (And even then, I cannot figure out why a propane detector should be continually powered when the vehicle is disabled in storage and no one is around to hear the detector.)

(I agree that a battery minder hooked up to a disconnected battery is a good idea for those with older, single-stage chargers/pwr-supplies.... but again, if the battery is disconnected and no shore power...then there's no propane detection going on either.... so why would it be req'd to be powered if no one is around simply because the battery is connected?) (Ans. NOT)
The Use/Store switch is useful for folks who boondock and are not connected to shore power. When they leave the trailer, they can simply select Store and know that all their loads are disconnected. I have a 2015 Classic and Airstream still only supplied me with single-stage converter - so the Store/Use switch is also used to isolate the converter when connected to shore power.

Now, given there's utility in the Store/Use switch, if I had to choose where to connect the propane detector I would probably keep it connected to the batteries. Why? Because although the probability of having an LP leak is low, the consequence is fatal, so connecting the detector directly to the batteries avoids the case where someone is in the trailer and left the Store/Use switch in the Store position, or there was a failure of the battery disconnect relay. Either way, when the consequence is fatal, the detector should be powered from the most reliable source.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post

Airstream is still using the single voltage 'dumb' power converters to charge their OEM Interstate batteries.

To my knowledge, they have NEVER used a multi stage converter in any trailer except for a few selected 22 Sport models.

Every Airstream trailer I have worked on, including a new '16 FC 28 still use the Parallax converter with the 13.6 VDC constant output.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #59

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
The Use/Store switch is useful for folks who boondock and are not connected to shore power. When they leave the trailer, they can simply select Store and know that all their loads are disconnected. I have a 2015 Classic and Airstream still only supplied me with single-stage converter - so the Store/Use switch is also used to isolate the converter when connected to shore power.

Now, given there's utility in the Store/Use switch, if I had to choose where to connect the propane detector I would probably keep it connected to the batteries. Why? Because although the probability of having an LP leak is low, the consequence is fatal, so connecting the detector directly to the batteries avoids the case where someone is in the trailer and left the Store/Use switch in the Store position, or there was a failure of the battery disconnect relay. Either way, when the consequence is fatal, the detector should be powered from the most reliable source.
Re: Boondocking: Most newer trailers with a store/use switch require 12v to keep the fridge running, and putting it in Store cuts that off.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Airstream is still using the single voltage 'dumb' power converters to charge their OEM Interstate batteries.

To my knowledge, they have NEVER used a multi stage converter in any trailer except for a few selected 22 Sport models.

Every Airstream trailer I have worked on, including a new '16 FC 28 still use the Parallax converter with the 13.6 VDC constant output.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
Thanks for the edjamacation, Lew.

Those owners who have older single-stage converters might like this option:
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Mag...tructional.pdf
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote