Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hitchcock , Texas
DC Power Problem

On my 1979 AS, the battery is fully charged with clean terminals and tests good. With the univolt converter unplugged (no shore power), I can only run one light in the trailer. When a second light is added the trailer loses all dc power, not just the circuit for the light that was energized but the entire dc system shuts down. If the converter is plugged in all dc circuits become hot again. Does anyone have any idea how to diagnose this problem. Thanks in advance.
Highway Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I had a problem like that once with a '75 23'. Finally found it was an intermittent connection on the fuse panel where DC power from one source came across the board on a pop rivet from the other side of the board. The rivet was loose.

Can't say if this is your problem, or not, but it's a place to start checking. I found mine with a volt meter tracing out where I had power, and where I did not when it was out.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bad battery ?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Hitchcock , Texas
Thanks Steve, I will start doing some voltage checks tomorrow. The battery load test good but I guess it wouldn't hurt to hook up a different battery just for kicks.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Hitchcock , Texas
Battery Quick Disconnect

I believe that the battery quick disconnect in the battery compartment was the culprit. Cleaned it very good inside the contacts and so far all dc systems are working on battery power only. It appears that the cabled may have gotten very hot at one time so I am going to replace them.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Glad you found the problem. I would recommend you replace that old connector set with something like this: SMH SY175 Series 2 AWG 175A Breakaway DC Power Connector

Don't believe you can buy the original from Airstream as they don't use it now days.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hitchcock , Texas
Thanks

Thanks Steve.