Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Damaged battery symptoms

Over the winter, my batteries drained dead. Now it looks like they will start to charge but the charge seems to be lost rapidly. So my question is will a damaged battery act like this. I wonder also if some general symptoms of damaged batteries that a person should be on the look out for? And dont say a dead battery.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
THe plates are most likely sulficated. ie; damaged. significant loss of capacity. If it is not too bad over charging can over come some of it. ultimately you need to replace it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Three questions.

How old are the batteries?
Have you checked the water level in them?
What method are you using to charge them?

It sounds like it may be time to replace them.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Three questions.

How old are the batteries?
Have you checked the water level in them?
What method are you using to charge them?

It sounds like it may be time to replace them.
Dave
The water got low and has now been topped off, they were being charged by the univolt, but I gave them a couple hours with the 3 stage this afternoon and the initial charge deminished fairly quickly. Oh, they are about a year and a half old.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
...... it looks like they will start to charge but the charge seems to be lost rapidly. So my question is will a damaged battery act like this.
Is this what a damaged battery will do or should I be looking for a short somewhere in the coach?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Hmmm - must be battery week on the forums. Without trying to insult anybody's intelligence I am guessing that you topped off with distilled water only, yes? If so good. If not - the batteries are already done.

Nothing kills a battery faster than 2 things:
1, letting them sit discharged for long periods of time and
2, Letting the water drop below the top of the plates.

Either of these things will go a long way to ending a battery's life. And if you have a univolt, I am sure that this is what contributed to the low electrolyte levels in your battery. They are evil!

BTW, I tried using mine for a yard light transformer. 8 lights 10 watts each for a total of 80 watts had that Univolt so hot after a day that I am surprised that it didn't catch on fire!. Boat anchor really is about all it's worth.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thanks, great information but still not what I asked

Quote:
....... my question is will a damaged battery act like this.
As good as all this side information is, it doesnt anwser my question. Is this what a damaged battery will act like or does it suggest other issues?

Old 05-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
As good as all this side information is, it doesnt anwser my question. Is this what a damaged battery will act like or does it suggest other issues?
Rodney,

I think so. I noticed this winter when I pulled the batteries when storing the trailer that the liquid level dropped below the first plate. I refilled with distilled water and put them on the charger. First glance the batteries were at 50%. I got them up to 100%. This spring I checked them again (I had them stored in the garage) only to note they dropped to 50 again. Back on the charger, they go back to 100% (based on the charger's meter) within 15 minutes.

I installed them last week back in the trailer. Went out to bring it home yesterday and the electric jack wouldn't operate. The master disconnect was in the off position so I know nothing other than the propane sensor was working. Plug the trailer into the tow vehicle and I have enough to use the jack. My feeling is that batteries are damaged.

I'm just going to have to do better in checking these more frequently during the summer. It's just a struggle to pull them out due to the smallness of the battery compartments.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yup. Me too...me too.

One of the reasons I'm looking at batteries and converters is that I damaged my batts last year. Let them go totally dead 2x. Though they still work, they don't last 1/4 as long as they did. I couldn't leave the Safari plugged in because the converter cooks it. So, as I finally get around to replacing the damaged batts, I'll also be investing in a new converter that can allow me to keep the Safari plugged in. I love the 6v idea, but don't want to mess with my battery box, and since I have a generator, I plan on going the dual 12v AGM route.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like your battery may have a shorted cell that is draining the voltage whe you stop charging. You might pull the battery and take it to a good battery store. They can test it.

I noticed that the battery in my Trade Wind was not holding a charge for as long as it did 2 years ago when i bought the trailer. The heat of the desert can be tough on batteries. I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a Lifeline AGM. I could have bought several RV batteries for what the lifeline cost me, but since we camp without hookups most of the time, I wanted the best I could get (that would fit in my trailer).

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thanks guys, thats what I needed to know.