Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
LI Lion 1300

I installed 4 Lion 1300 batteries and they were used almost exclusively on a 3 month travel. Before our trip, one battery, out of the box, would not charge. Contacted Lion and they sent a replacement before I returned the bad battery. Excellent customer service! Replaced bad battery and we hit the road. Very happy with these batteries. Also, made in the USA! Tired of all the Made In China stuff!
cctx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Charging at cold can be stoped with a disconnect switch. The gotcha is that you can't always know when it's going below freezing. We've had at least 10 nights so far this trip that *should* have been above freezing and it wasn't ( frost on the window is a pretty good indicator .....). Yes, that a 6 month trip, so not a whole lot of days. Depending on a disconnect switch while out and about would not work for us.

Bob
Bob, Rather than disconnecting the entire battery bank with a disconnect switch to prevent charging in freezing weather, why not put a switch in the converter charge wire to inhibit the converter charging when you need to. That way you'll have your batteries in freezing weather. Likewise disconnect your solar charger under the same conditions. I've done both but for different reasons. The toggle switch fits behind the faceplate on the converter in the area near the circuit breakers. (at least on my '06 Safari)
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Guess I missed that about blowing the fuse on the 7pin connection? Are you saying you need another DC-Dc converter to charge while driving? Seems odd the trailer pigtail would not function same as with the OEM batteries? What am I missing and what do I need?
Hi

With my truck, you are at 11.5V at the trailer end when pulling about 18A. The truck likely is up around 13.5V so that's a 2V drop. To get to 30A your battery would need to be at 9V. The fuse may or may not blow at that point.

With any "normal" battery voltage, your fuse is pretty safe. No that's not the same as 100% safe.

With lithiums, the DC/DC converter in the system is in the charge line from the alternator. There is only one of them. It's only purpose is to convert from the lead acid world to the lithium world. Your converter / charger is a very different device. Solar controllers are a different sort of beast.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The Lion rep, was advertising these to a potential "customer" who was asking about using in his SOB trailer, as being "drop in" replacement for his 12V Deep Cycle batteries, without any modifications?...

Lion Energy Safari UT1300 for $699.99
I just watched the Lion video showing the design of these batteries. A couple of things stood out in my mind. 1) the “prismatic” cells used to make up the battery, and 2) the ability to adapt the terminal posts.

I don’t know how this prismatic design compares to BattleBorn batteries.

Also, the Lion website lists the price of these batteries as $999, and currently I can’t find them listed on the Costco website.
SallyForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyForth View Post
I just watched the Lion video showing the design of these batteries. A couple of things stood out in my mind. 1) the “prismatic” cells used to make up the battery, and 2) the ability to adapt the terminal posts.

I don’t know how this prismatic design compares to BattleBorn batteries.

Also, the Lion website lists the price of these batteries as $999, and currently I can’t find them listed on the Costco website.
You can find them on line, cheaper than $999. The Costco deal is an in-store offering...I have seen it a few times over the past year in different stores. Here is the listing of locations/dates for Lion energy to take advantage of the pricing. https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-schedule.html They are $600 each at the "in-store" display.

Anyone know about this 100A [U]Ampere Time Li battery from Walmart[/U] for $349?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ampere-Ti...d&gclsrc=3p.ds
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:03 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKSmith View Post
Bob, Rather than disconnecting the entire battery bank with a disconnect switch to prevent charging in freezing weather, why not put a switch in the converter charge wire to inhibit the converter charging when you need to. That way you'll have your batteries in freezing weather. Likewise disconnect your solar charger under the same conditions. I've done both but for different reasons. The toggle switch fits behind the faceplate on the converter in the area near the circuit breakers. (at least on my '06 Safari)
Steve
Hi

Sure, you can wire the converter / charger, the solar, and your DC/DC ( or charge wire) all to a switch. Then you need to remember to throw it every time it might freeze.

Do you *need* to disconnect solar because of a nighttime chill? It depends a bit on just where you are and what season it is. Yes, even in those regions it would be a bit unusual. More likely if you are up there early ( before June 21 rather than after ...)

Let's see, last night it was 35 degrees according to the weather guy. The battery is at 41 degrees. A couple days ago he also said 36 and it was at 31. We've been in this same forecast is this / reality turns out to be that mode for just about two months at this point. We spent about 6 weeks in the same mode last spring.

At some point you get into the "to many switches" problem. One switch for each source, a full disconnect to store the vehicle, battery heaters switches... theres a lot of things to play with for various situations. If you play with them every night and again every morning, that's a lot of chances to miss this or that.

Further complicating things: is the magic temperature 35, 30, 25 or something else? The battery spec sheets don't all agree on much of anything so they are not a lot of help. The BMS guys seem to also be a bit variable in their numbers ( if you can even get at those numbers ). If the number is 35, then you probably shut off at 40 or when the weather guy says 45 or maybe 50 ( he's been off by 10 degrees, but not by 15 degrees so far this trip ....).

If I'm going to run this system for a decade or more, the hassle savings from a BMS I can trust is a pretty big deal.

Fun

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #27
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I wouldn’t buy a lithium battery without a BMS for both extreme cold and heat.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Ampere Time Li battery reviews from Wallmart?

Not sure if anyone has experience with the Li from Wallmart?

Anyone know about this 100A Ampere Time Li battery from Walmart for $349?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ampere-Ti...d&gclsrc=3p.ds

Seems to me, this one is pretty inexpensive for a pair? Wondering about specs vs Lion; others...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:26 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
The Lion UT1300 has an internal bms that will prevent overcharging and has a 34° charging cutoff to prevent charging a too cold battery.
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote