Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2024, 08:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , NY
converter running when main breaker off

We upgraded our 2008 Airstream Classic last fall with lithium (300 Ah), solar (400 Watts on the roof + portable panels), 3000 watt inverter and a new converter. We used the trailer 2 weekends in October, a total of six nights and everything worked great and as expected. We did some interior upgrades in November – mostly painting and again, everything worked as expected – needed to run the furnace and lights.

We brought the trailer back from storage late last week and did not hook up to 30 amp as we had solar to keep the batteries charged. Yesterday PM I noticed the batteries were down from 300 Ah. I hooked up the 30 amp + surge protector and then rearranged some things in the back storage. When I stepped back into the trailer, the batteries were back up to 300 Ah – which I thought was odd. I then realized that the converter was running, but the main breaker was still in the off position. The 110 outlets did not have power. I unhooked the 30 amp power. I then repeated plugging in the 30 amp, waiting for the surge protector to turn on the power and each time the converter would turn on with the main breaker in the off position. The converter was on the same circuit as the bedroom, but the converter would turn on even with the “bedroom, converter” breaker in the off position. When the “bedroom, converter” breaker is off, there is not power to the bedroom outlets.

I don’t know if last fall the converter would run with the breaker thrown – the two times we moved into a campsite, there was a lot of activity in the trailer which is normal when pulling into a campsite which could have masked the converter running unexpectedly.

I am certain that prior to out upgrades, the converter would not run unless the main breaker was in the "on" position.

I don't think the converter should run with the main breaker in the "off" position, but not sure how concerned I should be.

Thoughts, comments are welcomed and appreciated.
Wyokirk is offline   Reply With Quote