Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Send a message via Skype™ to trmiller
Converter Question.

I have a 1983 Excella 31'. I've read a lot of these threads and i just want to make sure i am doing whats best for our Airstream. When the unit is parked for a period of time say a month without usage, should I hook the trailer up to 110 volts? How about the battery, its a single battery, should it be disconnected? I do hear the converter and its pretty warm to the touch under the front couch. What is the best way to let the trailer sit for a month or so without doing any harm to any of the electrical system or battery.. Simply want to make sure its safe and ready when the next trip comes up. Thanks for any input.
trmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
converter battery combo

the older a/s converters have the capacity to overcharge the batts if no load is on the batts. So, for a month of storage in warm weather, you should turn the converter off once the batt is at a full charge. The open circuit life of a well battery at full charge should exceed 30 days at which time the battery should have a refresh charge. In cold, you would want to protect the battery-probably remove it to someplace out of the weather if it is going to sit, unused for a month or longer. Very hot weather will also shorten the open circuit life of a "normal" battery. A trickle charger will keep the batt at a happy charge, no matter and should be enough to keep the battery from freezing in cold weather. The converter puts out large currents in regard to a slightly discharged, unused state. ol bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
You should be fine with 30 or 45 days without power. However, there are usually "phantom" loads on the battery. Propane dectectors and the like that are "on" all the time. These will drain the battery over the course of several days.

If there is no switch that disconnects the battery completely I would install one, or disconnect the positive cable from the battery upon storage.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Ok don't see any switch on the converter box. Just where it plugs into wall. Should I just unplug the converter box?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
hidden switch?

some of the 80's trailers had a switch hidden under the curtains on one side or the other. If not, just switch off the circuit breaker to the converter. Unplugging it works, too, but is a little inconvenient.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
TnVolGuy

1983 31' Excella
Cordova , Tennessee
Yes hit the breaker and out it went. I keep my airstream hooked to 110 volt so I can run fans and keep the windows open during the day due to our fine Tennessee heat in the summer. Keeping everything else off including lights should save my battery I assume. I really enjoy this forum. So much knowledge out there. It's helped me a lot. Thanks so much!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If you value battery life and service capability, invest in a modern converter, one that does multiple stage charging and has a maintenance mode that will keep your batteries at full charge during storage as well as provide a technique to inhibit sulfation.

That will make sure your batteries get a full and complete charge and are properly maintained during storage. That means both a lot better battery service when in use as well as optimum battery life.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi trmiller,
If it were 1983 like your configuration, the answer is to turn off the Univolt, converter or whatever they were called that year. They were horrible power supplies back then and would cook your batteries. They were also not voltage regulated then and just a bunch of problems.
With a modern converter/charger, all of that has changed. You can leave your Airstream connected to AC power and not worry about overcharging. We don't even sell trickle chargers in any quantity because our Powermax units do it all these days. Iota, PD and a few others do it well and there is no reason to not keep it connected all the time. Don't keep an old Univolt connected all the time, they will ruin your batteries unless you stand over them and cycle it off and on with knowledge of the state of charge at all times.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote