Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Converter power cycling when using generator.

Hey folks. Got a puzzling one that just seems to have started.

I run the 45 amp Progressive Dynamics converter. It is about 3 years old. Recently when running off of generator power with the converter in "boost mode", every minute or so the converter will stop sending the amps to the batteries. I can tell as we have a battery monitor. It is giving it ~42 amps for about a minute and then suddenly drops to zero for about a minute. This cycle continually repeats itself.

If I switch the converter to "normal mode" then I get a steady ~22 amps. This means running the generator twice as long. Not good.

Any ideas why this might be the case? A problem with the converter? Bad connection somewhere?

Thanks
-tim
Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Was the converter's fan running while it was charging? I wonder if it's overheating and has some sort of auto-resetting temperature protection.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Was the converter's fan running while it was charging? I wonder if it's overheating and has some sort of auto-resetting temperature protection.
The fan does come on right before it cuts off. Any idea why it might be overheating?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
The fan does come on right before it cuts off. Any idea why it might be overheating?
The reason I guessed overheating in the first place is that it's running pretty close to its rated capacity (42A out of 45) so I figured it was likely to be generating some heat. If you're out somewhere using a generator you probably don't have ready access to something like a canned-air "duster" to blow potential dust out of it just to see if that makes a difference. It might just be that the thermal protection circuit is more sensitive than it should be.

Any word from Progressive Dynamics? Per their site, service is 269-781-4242 or email at service@progressivedyn.com

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Check the connections to see if there is something loose. Maybe just reseating the connections will help.

Have you always manually overridden the charge wizard to boost mode over the last three years of travel when connecting to the generator?

Do the batteries look in good shape? Water in the cells if wet cell battery. What is the voltage of the batteries before you started?

I checked the instructions. The Charge Wizard should switch to auto mode if on boost when the batteries have reached sufficient charge. I would assume it would switch to lower voltage and amps not try to start again in Boost. Maybe the unit Charge Wizard confused. Maybe disconnecting the batteries for a few minutes will reset it. If you purchased from BestConverter give them a call.

The manual button has been provided to allow the operator to temporarily override the con-verter (not recommended) or to verify the converter is operating properly. For manual operation, Press and Hold the button. The indicator light will soon remain “ON” indicating Boost Mode. Continue to hold the button and the light will blink rapidly indicating the converter is in the Normal Mode. Continue to hold the button until the light blinks slowly indicating the con-verter is now in the Storage Mode. After the manual button is released the converter will stay in the selected mode. When the battery charge status changes, the converter will return to the automatic mode of operation to prevent damage to the battery.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Yeah. I think it is time to go digging under the gaucho and see if it is dirty and/or something is loose. It is a pain to get under there. I'll have to limber up a bit.

I sometimes have to manually switch it up to boost mode but not always. And it doesn't seem to have the issue when on 120v.

Batteries are looking good. Down 200 amp hours and still above 12v.

I emailed PD. Will report back on what they say.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Make sure it is well ventilated. I had the same problem with a PD9160. I had to add a fan to remove warm air from the compartment. Worked fine after that.

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote