Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2024, 12:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
Converter in 2024 not set to Lithium from JC

Even though there was a sticker on the electrical panel that stated our trailer was set to lithium from the factory, it was not.

We had AGMs installed by the dealer on delivery as their costs for lithium was quite high and I was going to upgrade to lithium later. Knowing that it was preset to lithium (according to the sticker), I didn't need to worry about that part, or so I thought.

I installed lithium after only a few short outings. I never paid much attention to the battery readings on the SeeLevel until I had bigger money invested in batteries. I didn't obsess over the #s after install, but we never saw 14.2 - 14.4v. Seemed like it was always 13.2 and maybe an occasional 13.5.

Thinking we had a WFCO converter, I went through the process of trying to get it to self detect. After that failed, I pulled things apart and found we have a Progressive Dynamics PD9360, and a green LED. No auto detect (thankfully) but getting it to switch over was a PIA. The micro switch button is on the side facing away from you.
After trying for 20+ min to find the button in that tiny hole using a mirror and a flashlight, I gave up.

We had an appt at Woodland in Grand Rapids for a broken bathroom mirror, and I asked if they could see if they could switch it over. They had to pull the converter out to get to the button, and even then, it was hard to find. Per Dennis @ PD, early ones have been known to have the board shift, which causes the button to be up and to the left in that hole (at ~ 10:30 position).

All this is to say, don't believe the sticker on your new 2024 AS that it is set to lithium. Turn the lights out and plug into shore power and verify you have a blue light (green for flooded, white for AGM). The LED only stays lit for 30 seconds so maybe have someone else else plug it in while you look.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
It is possible that it did come from the factory set to lithium, but when you installed AGM’s instead at the dealership they switched it back to lead acid. They should have, because the lithium charging profile is not right or good for lead acid batteries.

Anyway, all’s well that ends well.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
The delivering dealer did not switch it. They are the ones who gave me advice on draining batteries for auto detect. They had no idea that AS started installing PD converters.
It was set to flooded from the factory at PD (factory default) and never set to Lithium at JC even though they installed a sticker showing it was.

Maybe JC didn't or doesn't know they come from PD set to flooded.

I just want folks to not take that sticker for granted.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Ha! Well, that will teach me not to expect both Airstream and the dealer did something right! What are the odds of that?

If misery loves company: when I did my lithium upgrade the tech also failed to switch the new PD lithium compatible converter into lithium mode. I had to pull the board and toggle the switch myself.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carmel , Indiana
Well at least you don't have the WFCO auto sensing converter.
Mr Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
After reading what others have or had to go through to get theirs working correctly (send in units or replace boards) very happy we don't have that.

Hopefully people don't take for granted their AS is set for lithium just because a sticker says it is. Trust, but verify.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
We just took delivery of a 2024.5 27í globetrotter with solar and lithium. While traveling home, pulled into campground with 58% remains according to smartshunt and when I plugged in I was only getting 6 amps charge. Did not seem right and when I investigated I was getting the green light signifying lead acid profile vs. blue signifying lithium. The good news is to switch profiles there are two screws holding it down via slotted feet. So, you only had to remove one screw and slide the unit 1/2 ď to flip up on front and access back panel that contains recessed button. Taped to the back of the converter is a little tool that allows you to hit that button. Paper clip would work too. All well now. 15 minute job to fix.

2024.5 Globetrotter 27
2021 F150 Powerboost Limited
kmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
Awesome! Glad you checked and got it changed over.

I wish I was the only one who had this problem, but I suspect it is much more widespread.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Carmel , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayer View Post
We just took delivery of a 2024.5 27í globetrotter with solar and lithium. While traveling home, pulled into campground with 58% remains according to smartshunt and when I plugged in I was only getting 6 amps charge. Did not seem right and when I investigated I was getting the green light signifying lead acid profile vs. blue signifying lithium. The good news is to switch profiles there are two screws holding it down via slotted feet. So, you only had to remove one screw and slide the unit 1/2 ď to flip up on front and access back panel that contains recessed button. Taped to the back of the converter is a little tool that allows you to hit that button. Paper clip would work too. All well now. 15 minute job to fix.
We have the 21 GB. Our converter is under the fridge behind a blind wall. Next to impossible to get to without removing the fridge. Question on the 24 where was your converter?
Mr Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
We have the 21 GB. Our converter is under the fridge behind a blind wall. Next to impossible to get to without removing the fridge. Question on the 24 where was your converter?
On our 27, the power distribution panel / circuit breaker box is under the fridge. Once you remove the panel cover (4 screws) you can then remove the panel itself (another four screws). With panel removed, you can easily see the converter but you canít see the backside of it which is where the led indicator and mode switch is without going through the other process I mentioned above.

2024.5 Globetrotter 27
2021 F150 Powerboost Limited
kmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:55 AM   #11

2022 16' Bambi
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Our '23 Bambi came from the dealer with lithium batteries and the WFCO switch in the "lead acid" position.
Lou_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Olive Branch , Mississippi
I had the exact same issue with mine. It was set to lead acid from the factory. In addition I had mounting issues. Mine was in the blind hole, but was mounted so poorly that it was resting on the wires and had approximately a half inch under the fan to pull fresh air in. On top of that, the ground cable that comes from the converter to the grounding block under the beds was so loose that it was intermittently working. All in all very poor workmanship. Did anyone else have these issues? This is a brand new airstream ...
os1r1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:51 AM   #13

2022 16' Bambi
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by os1r1s View Post
I had the exact same issue with mine. It was set to lead acid from the factory. In addition I had mounting issues. Mine was in the blind hole, but was mounted so poorly that it was resting on the wires and had approximately a half inch under the fan to pull fresh air in. On top of that, the ground cable that comes from the converter to the grounding block under the beds was so loose that it was intermittently working. All in all very poor workmanship. Did anyone else have these issues? This is a brand new airstream ...
Ours came with the converter leaning into the cabin because half the face mounting screws were missing. The solar charger was loose on the ground among the tangle of wires in front of the water tank. The heater didn't have one of the ducts attached and the aluminum cutout from an unused duct attachment point was bent into the fan and preventing the fan blades from turning. Just about none of the grommets that are supposed to protect wires from sharp edges where wires pass through walls or the floor are actually in the right place to protect the wires. Metal shavings all over the place. The grey/black tank flush port valve is the wrong way around so the tank can't be flushed.
Lou_ is offline   Reply With Quote