Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Converter/Generator Question

92 Excella 25'

Beginner question: I'm trying to learn more about the relationship between a generator and a converter. I'm getting a new converter and deciding between a 45-amp and 60-amp. I read a post on here somewhere (can't find it now) from a guy who said the PD 45-amp converter worked well with his particular Honda generator, but the PD 60-amp did not. What's the deal with this? Is this common? Are certain converters restricted for use with certain generators? Do the two have to be coordinated together or balanced with each other?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A 1000 watt generator will work with a pd9245, but a pd9260 will cause it to overload was reported in another thread. I have a Honda EU1000i and a PD9245, so I do not have a problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
92 Excella 25'

Beginner question: I'm trying to learn more about the relationship between a generator and a converter. I'm getting a new converter and deciding between a 45-amp and 60-amp. I read a post on here somewhere (can't find it now) from a guy who said the PD 45-amp converter worked well with his particular Honda generator, but the PD 60-amp did not. What's the deal with this? Is this common? Are certain converters restricted for use with certain generators? Do the two have to be coordinated together or balanced with each other?

Thanks,
Doug
A converter, like any other electrical appliance, places a load on the generator.

If the load becomes excessive for the generator rating, then the generator will fail or quit.

A good rule of thumb is never load a generator beyond 80 percent of it's capacity.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
92 Excella 25'

It sounds like one more reason to go with the 45-amp unit which will allow use of a lighter, smaller, less expensive generator. Am I missing something here? Any good reason to go up to a 55- or 60-amp unit to replace the original 50-amp Magnetek?? The trailer is stock and I don't plan to add a lot of electrical appliances to it.

Thanks for the good feedback.
Doug
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
92 Excella 25'

It sounds like one more reason to go with the 45-amp unit which will allow use of a lighter, smaller, less expensive generator. Am I missing something here? Any good reason to go up to a 55- or 60-amp unit to replace the original 50-amp Magnetek?? The trailer is stock and I don't plan to add a lot of electrical appliances to it.

Thanks for the good feedback.
Doug
Doug.

Instructions can be offered on "how to use".

Suggestions can be made as to "what to use".

Only you can decide and program your useage desires.

A 45 amp converter draws 540 watts.

A 55 amp converter draws 660 watts.

A 60 amp converter draws 720 watts.

Add an efficiency factor of about 25 percent to those numbers.

That's the power consumption only if the converter is operating at 100 percent, which they never do for more than a very few minutes.

That amount of power consumption is far less than a coffee pot or toaster.

When in doubt choosing a generator, don't under rate what you may do. Time will tell you that you forgot something. Then your stuck with a generator that's inadequate.

If you want to enjoy, plan accordingly, but always add a "safety" or reserve factor, especially when it comes to using electricty.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am the one who has tested both the PD 9245 and the PD 9260 with a Honda 1000 inverter generator. Although the 9260 would seem to take less than the 1000 watt capacity of the Honda, there is another factor that is poorly understood about switching power supply converter/chargers and that is their power factor. It is a semi complex thing to explain and I am not good enough at doing that. But.....

Normally we think of watts = volts x amps. When power factor gets included, the "effective wattage" seen by the Honda of the 9260 is more than the rated 1000 volt-amp rating of the machine. If you look close at the Honda specs, it is rated at 1000 volt-amps and not watts, and there is a technical difference which is the cause of this issue.

Again, I am sorry I cannot explain it better but, trust me it is the cause of the 9245 working and the 9260 not working with the Honda 1000.

BTW, if you have a Kill O Watt meter, it has a button for watts and volt amps. On a resistance load such as a heater they will read the same, but on a thing like a switching power supply they will not. From memory, when I did the investigation I found the 9260 had a watt load of maybe 700 while the Volt-amp load was 1100. The 1100 was over the rating of the Honda.

It is only a problem with the Honda 1000, not the 2000.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote