Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Converter Fuses Blown

I have a MagneTek 7455 Converter/Charger.

It came with our 2002 Bambi and has been trouble free since the trailer was new. The trailer has a single battery - we are now on our 2nd battery - an AGM Group 31 - it is now in its 5th season and has also been trouble free.

The trailer has been "awake" from its winterized mode for about a month - plugged in on shore power and working normally.

We dropped off the trailer a week ago for servicing - the safety valve on the oven needed to be replaced - have no idea whether this is part of the story or not - just seems an odd co-incidence ....

We picked the trailer up yesterday and spent last night in it - our first camping night of the season - we had shore power.

This morning I realized that the battery was not being charged - in fact, by the time I realized it the battery was pretty much dead. After checking all the fuses - I eventually found that the 2 30 amp fuses on the converter itself had blown. I replaced the two fuses and all seems normal - or close to it - as I type the voltmeter is reading 13.2 volts - which seems a bit low - it usually reads 13.6 volts when plugged in to shore power.

I'm a bit mystified wondering how or why these fuses might have blown - and if there is still a problem that needs to be found and rectified. Any advice or ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would check the wires that go under the propane cover to see if they might be cut and shorting out. When the tech was turning the gas on and off for testing a wire may have shorted to the frame blowing the fuse.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes. Look around for a burned spot. 30 amps will definitely leave a mark if it shorted.

As for the 13.2 working on a very low battery not is not out of the question. That should come up after 8 to 10 hours. If at that time you unplug the shore power and the voltage drops below 12 I would say you have a shorted cell in the battery.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Thanks to you both - just returned back to the trailer from an evening out - voltmeter is back to 13.6 volts - I will check the wiring for a burned spot tomorrow morning and see if anything turns up.

Much appreciated,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote