Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Langley , British Columbia
Converter failed again

I have a 30ft 2018 classic. The stock WF-9855 converter failed after 6 months, it was replaced with the same model by my dealer Seattle Washington Airstream Adventures Northwest under warranty on Oct 18, 2018. Last week it was billowing smoke after connection to shore power. I disconnected from shore power, there was oil leaking from the base of the converter (capacitor blown?)

I contacted the dealer to see if they could send us a new unit that I could pop in myself. We are currently in the Canadain Rockies and don't want to travel all the way to the dealer. Because we are just out of warranty they couldn't do that even though the converter has a 2-year warranty.

I emailed WFCO about the issue and got no response.

So I've ordered one from amazon but it will take about a week.

My question now is, if I unplug the converter, can I plug in to shore power and use it bypassing the converter. My solar is charging the batteries fine, but I'd like to run the big stuff on shore power.

Thanks for any help,
Roland
rmroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think you can plug in. There should be a dedicated circuit breaker in the electric panel to the converter that can be switched off. May also chose to put the trailer in "store" mode, the effect is to isolate the batteries.

This all said, my experience is with a 2013 model. Assuming the trailers haven't changed too much.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Roland

Do you have a 30ish amp 12V battery charger you can connect AS batteries to?

I had one fail during a week long camp and just did the get by with such a setup. Chargers are avail at retailers and auto parts companies pretty common item. Now I carry it just cause.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not see any reason not to unplug the converter and run on shore power and solar battery charging. I might go so far as to disconnect the DC end of the converter also just to be sure. But if the battery power is working now it should be okay. I would try to keep track of the state of the battery charge.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My plug in comment was meant to mean, plug trailer into a 30 amp shore service. By all means unplug the broken converter, its really not necessary as you have solar.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Langley , British Columbia
I've pulled the converter plug and the breaker is switched off. Shore power is coming through and the solar is charging the batteries. All should be fine until the new converter comes.

This forum is awesome, thanks so much to all of you!!
rmroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Our converter took a dump last week and is the same one you have. Have an appointment at JC this week coming so will have it replaced with the same I'm sure. On other threads the Boondocker 1260CL was recommended and that is what I will get when our replacement takes a dump, which sounds like a sure thing. Bestconverter.com
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote