Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Confirming that converter is getting charge from tow vehicle

How can I confirm that, when hooked up to the tow vehicle, the converter is actually charging the batteries on the trailer?
carver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
How can I confirm that, when hooked up to the tow vehicle, the converter is actually charging the batteries on the trailer?
It would be the TV alternator thats doing the charging.
If the battery voltage is close for both while TV running you can be pretty sure it's charging. Increase rpm watch for voltage change, use a voltmeter at both batteries.
Our Volt Minder plugged into the AS's power port is very close.

Bob
Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I would suggest in simple terms, since it will indeed be your TV alternator charging, that a voltmeter across the batteries reading around 14v is going to show your alternator is charging. If the voltmeter is in the 12.5 plus or minus then they are not being charged.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Davin , West Virginia
We were wondering if our batteries were being charged while towing. We're pretty sure now: After getting a late start on our trip to Chattanooga Sunday, we decided to park and sleep at the Pilot East of Knoxville. With the temp reading about 25 or so, we stopped an hour before arriving to light up the furnace. I wasn't sure if the battery would get us through the night, but it almost did! Woke up just before daylight to a dead battery and decided to fire up the generator (in the back of the truck). Ran on that for a couple hours, then unplugged/shut down the generator, started the truck, and left the thermostat on 50 for the rest of the trip. When we arrived lights were bright, blower was still running nice and strong. I'm thinking we would have run the battery completely dead again with no charge from the truck, since we stopped at sam's club, the mall, a music store, etc., making a 2.5 hour trip last about 5 hours.

I did wonder something, though: As I was getting ready to plug the camper into the generator, I looked at the tow wiring and decided to unplug it for some reason it. I don't know if it would have hurt anything or not....
Hillbilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The TV battery would be part of the system when plugged into the AS, voltage carried thru the charge wire.

POI....I would unplug TV when stopped and furnace running....all your batteries could very well be dead in the AM...no start.

I leave the reefer lit while towing...I'd be a little leery of doing so with the furnace.

Bob
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The real charge from the tow vehicle is hard to measure. The voltage measurements mention in the other posts will confirm that there is some charge, but just how much is a question. The only real way to know is with an ammeter in the charge line. I have done just that with several combinations of rigs I have owned. I use a shunt type ammeter on the trailer batteries and can read the tow vehicle charge that way.

In general, you will find it hard to get much more than a 4 to 6 amp charge in most cases, due to the voltage drop and the relatively small wire sizes used on the tow vehicle, as well as the resistance in the umbilical cord and plug, and the wiring to the trailer batteries.

I have measured this on several combination of TV's and trailers and there is general confirmation from others posting here that the actual charge rate is lower than you might like or expect.

My highest charge amp measurements I have ever seen have been with my 2012 Grand Cherokee and my 2014 Flying Cloud 20'. All new stuff, batteries in the front of the trailer and so on. I have seen up to 11.5 amps of charge from the Jeep to the trailer when the batteries are low.

Just some actual numbers for you to consider.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Thank you everybody for the information.

>>ron<<
carver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
okotoks , Alberta
You might need to get it checked out , on my first trip , my battery's went dead , the trouble was they were not getting charged from the truck , truck was brand new 2013 ford eco boost

The reason was they didn't install the fuse and relay for charging , they were in the glove box of the truck , easy fix

You might just need to open your truck manual , find out which fuse and relay and see if they installed , if you can't figure it out , any rv tech should be able to go to back of you TV and plug a tester in and see if you getting a charge , if not then you can de snag it back to the fuse box
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote