Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Change from group 24 batteries to Trojan T105s

Good day all. To anyone that has made the change from standard 12v group 24
batts to the trojan T105's. What terminals on the battery did you go with and did you change the standard auto cable terminals to lug type? The trojan web page shows an auto type terminal with a bolt that extends out the middle of it but will the auto cable terminal fit flush so the bolt can be used as a connection between the two batteries? Any advice would be welcome thank you all. Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Trojan T105 batteries have four different terminal types: Embedded high profile, embedded low profile, embedded automotive, and embedded universal. Regular automotive-style clamp-on connections will work on everything but the embedded low profile. Screw-on connections will work on the embedded low profile and embedded high profile. As long as you specify the right post type, you'll do fine.

The biggest difference is T105s are 6v batteries, so you have to go from parallel to series connection to get 12v out of them.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Trojans are taller and wider than group 24, check your space carefully, if they will fit you will get more amp hours and they could last twice as long.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You will need a 1-1/2" spacer between the top of the battery box and the hinged cover to be able to place T-105's (or Lifeline GPL-4CT) golf cart batteries inside.

Many have done this mod by removing the hinged cover, adding the spacer made of suitable material (I generally have an aluminum 'picture frame' made at a local metal shop) with rivets from under the top of the old box, and then re-positioning the hinged cover and re-riveting it into place.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Trojans are taller and wider than group 24, check your space carefully, if they will fit you will get more amp hours and they could last twice as long.
They are taler, but not wider than the group 24's. Their base footprint is virtually identical.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
T105 Batt change

Thanks, I have already raised the top of the batt. box by 1 7/8". I was hoping not to have to change out the standard auto type terminals and be able to use lug type connections between the two batteries. correct me if I'm wrong but I will connect neg post of batt. (1) to + post of batt. (2) and (+) trailer cable to (+)post of batt (1) and neg trailer cable to neg post batt, (2) and trailer jack to (+) post batt one. Does this sound right?
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sounds right. Auto-type screw-in terminals are available for batteries that have threaded connections that will allow the use of Airstream's OEM terminals.

From my experience, I replace any automotive type terminals with eyelet lug ends, as I have found them to be a much more solid connection.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Thanks to all.