Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
BeepBeep

1991 35' Airstream 350
Louisville , Colorado
Can't find a breaker ?

Hello ,
This is my first post. I live in Colorado and recently purchased a 1991 (454 GM) 350LE that had been stored for 10 years. It's my first RV ( big bite for a starter ) and I have been waking it up system by system. I plugged into a 15 amp home outlet while working on the interior and confirmed that all of the 120v outlets were working just fine. It was getting hot in the coach so I decided to move a small 8 amp portable AC unit into the bathroom and exhaust out the window instead of running the generator and rooftop AC units. All went well. Then I decided to run the generator and crank up one of the rooftops and for some reason that blew the 15 amp breaker in my home. When I reset the breaker everything came back up fine except for three 120v outlets in the rear of the coach. Specifically the one in the bathroom and the two on either side of the queen bed. I checked the breakers on the converter and reset them but the
three outlets are still dead. My manual does not specifically discuss the 350LE but rather references the 345 and 370. Is it possible that there is another breaker stashed away someplace? I've looked everywhere I can think of. The breakers on the generator have been reset. There are no GFI outlets anywhere in the coach except on the inverter which has been reset. Thanks for your help !
Jagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The convertor has no connection to the 110 volt system other than using it as source of power. You are looking for a breaker in the 110 volt panel.

Generally speaking you have to disconnect shore power when using the on board generator. If you blew a house breaker it sound like that was not the case.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The convertor has no connection to the 110 volt system other than using it as source of power. You are looking for a breaker in the 110 volt panel.

Generally speaking you have to disconnect shore power when using the on board generator. If you blew a house breaker it sound like that was not the case.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
You should have a GFI breaker in your 110 fuse panel. Unless a previous owner removed it and replaced it with a regular single pole breaker. There doesnt seem to be much consistency in how these coaches are wired, sometimes same year/same model can have differences from coach to coach. Your coach came with a GFI that controlled at least your bathroom, kitchen, and exterior 110 outlet. They may have tied other outlets to that circuit, who knows. So check in your 110 fuse panel for a GFI and then test your outlets. If you find that you dont have a GFI breaker then you should investigate installing one for any outlets near water source.

I am pretty sure that the transfer switch will over ride the shore power when you start your generator. Typically there is about a 30 second delay for this to happen. When you start your generator make sure that there are no loads on your 110 system. Air conditioners, appliances plugged into 110 outlets and such should be turned off when you start your generator. Its hard on the appliance and the generator if you dont turn them off before starting the genny.

Kicking that 15amp outlet was probably a combination of things. So try again with everything turned off, reset your GFI "breaker"(not outlet) if you find it and see what you get then
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote