Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #161
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Did mine this weekend and it worked perfectly. Pretty easy to install even for me!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I installed mine a few weeks ago and back then confirmed a Honda 2000 starts and runs a 15,000 BTU AC. Today I confirmed that a Yamaha 2000 does the same.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Matteo, I've been following this out of curiosity, although I generally boondock with a small contractor generator that peaks at 3200+ and normally produces 2800 watts.... so my roof AC makes it just fine...

While I am not too concerned about the noise (ours is a quiet gen for a contractor model)... it might be nice to plan a replacement to a Honda/Yamaha/etc type.

But I've got a little Sport that Airstream installed a Carrier-V model onto. What would you recommend for us that do not have Dometic/Penguin ACs ?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #164
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
But I've got a little Sport that Airstream installed a Carrier-V model onto. What would you recommend for us that do not have Dometic/Penguin ACs ?
Hi Boxite. As it turns out, the EasyStart has been installed into just about every model rooftop A/C that is or was available. Last fall, I had a customer with the Carrier AirV model, which I believe is what you are talking about. I made a wiring diagram for him (attached below). I never hear back from him where he ended up mounting the EasyStart, but I presume he was successful. As you can see from the photo, the old Carrier has a very compact assembly. My best estimate would be to mount it to the baseplate under the condenser fan blades, and run the 4 wires into the molded-in electric box alongside the existing compressor & fan wires. The electric box is molded/built in as part of the evaporator airbox sub-assembly (shown opened up in the photo).

There is not doubt that EasyStart will work with just about any 115V A/C since they all use pretty much the same compressor wiring. People have even installed EasyStarts into window shaker A/Cs. Hopefully, this helps you out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161003_100844.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	283155  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carrier AirV EasyStart 364 Wiring Diagram.pdf (142.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #165
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Winter Garden , Florida
Had my dealer install my EasyStart 364 (black box version) into our heat pump. He said the instructions, a combination of Matteo's PDF and contributions from forum members, were fantastic.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Yesterday I had the first test of running my 15,000BTU AC on a single Yamaha EF2000i using my EasyStart 364. Simply Amazing!

This AC had always been problematic. At times I actually turned if off because the compressor sounded as if it were dying during the start cycle. Now the fan is literally half as loud as it was. The compressor start-up is so quite I actually need to listen closely to hear it kick in. With the generator set to "Eco" mode, it went from an idle to around 80% max power for the AC start-up. No where near going into an overload situation.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Installed my "black" EasyStart yesterday, thanks to all the posters and Matteo's Instructions, the install went well. Took me longer than others but I took my time double checking everything and I also had to take a break or two to give my legs a break from crouching on top of the Airstream. Really don't have any tips to add that has not been posted except that a couple of those 5/16" screws that secure the capacitors were hard to get at but with patience I was able to get them out.

Cycled the ac 5 times after install and listened each time as the ac started up, you could tell the difference between the first time and the last, now the ac starts with a smooth "hum" and just gently comes online. Have not tried it with one of my Yamaha 2000s yet but am confident that it will work.

Thanks again to all the posters that helped lead the way!
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #168
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Easy start for a/c

I haven a 1970 Caravel, with a Duo-Therm Dometic A/C unit. I'm thinking of installing the Micro Air Easy Start so that we can run ac on one generator. Had anyone done this on this model ac unit? Will it work, and is it a diy job.
Bigpiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Matteo has said it should work on any Dometic A/C, probably any RV A/C as they are all about the same, with a start and run capacitor. As others have said, it is an easy install. Matteo will send you a diagram for installation if their website does not already have one that applies.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #170
1 Rivet Member

Simi Valley , California
Thanks Larry! Am I correct in thinking this is a much better way to go than a "hard start" unit? Any installation help would be much appreciated.
Bigpiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
This thread has about all the info you'll need, it and a link in it.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Well actually not. I am installing mine as I write this. #1 says Black wire crimped in with the Blue wire connecting the compressor common. There are two blue wires one a dark blue probably #10 wire and another lighter blue probably about 14.

Which one? Other than that easy install. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #173
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpiba View Post
I haven a 1970 Caravel, with a Duo-Therm Dometic A/C unit. I'm thinking of installing the Micro Air Easy Start so that we can run ac on one generator. Had anyone done this on this model ac unit? Will it work, and is it a diy job.
Bigpiba - Your fellow Airstream owners are all too kind. Nevertheless, yes, your classic Duo Therm should work just as well. Duo Therm was a brand name that Dometic used in the past, and it could be a Brisk (high profile) or a Penguin (low profile) model. Either way, you should be just fine with EasyStart. If necessary, feel free to post or PM a photo of the wiring diagram, and I'll draw in where the EasyStart wires. Thanks for your consideration!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #174
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Well actually not. I am installing mine as I write this. #1 says Black wire crimped in with the Blue wire connecting the compressor common. There are two blue wires one a dark blue probably #10 wire and another lighter blue probably about 14.

Which one? Other than that easy install. Dave
NoResults - Post or PM a photo of your wiring diagram and I will clarify it for you by drawing in where the EasyStart wires.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Mine is just like "Troutboy" post #118. I just wasn't sure which blue wire. I am using this as my guide. Picture 1 of 4 on his post.

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Dave, I did not have a light blue wire. The wire you need to cut, should be easy to trace back to the compressor. It goes through the hole at the top, then over the fan motor, and to the compressor. If you have questions, post a pic and I can try and help. Just make sure it goes back to the compressor.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #177
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Dave - I concur with Troutboy. I just reviewed every photo and wiring diagram I have for the Dometic Penguin IIs, and there is only one blue wire, and it is the one you're after. It leads to the compressor, as Troutboy stated. Pic #1 of 4 in Troutboy's post (#118) does point to it as you indicated.

If your electric box has more than one blue wire in it and you're still not sure, please post a photo so we can better assist you. Thanks for hanging in there.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #178
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The only other wires that run thru the blower motor area from the relay cpmtrol board to the compressor area are the activation wires for the reversing valve solenoid on the heat pump models. As I recall, they are purple (2 identical) and not light blue.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Thanks all. The correct wire was Dark blue and heaver than the light blue wires.

Works fine. Thanks for all your comments.

Dave
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Back home, just paid my taxes, literally, and planning (while drying my tears) on my install Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll build an install kit with tools, materials and the easy start. Would like to minimize ladder exercise, lol. Will report results. Thx for all the very helpful posts.