Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #141
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Holy cow, Turk! Nice job and very nice picture guide. You get 5 stars!

Between you, Troutboy, Larry, lewster, and everyone else who has contributed such great photos and details, I can probably leave all of you to take care of yourselves and get back to some design & development work that I'm behind on!

Good news - my colleagues in NJ got the first draft of our short PDF installation guide for the EasyStart 364 IP65 into our new Dometic Penguin II. It also has lots of photos. Yes, we're going to lengthen the harness by 8" from now on so it will reach all the way back to the electric box, in which the connections can be made per the diagram and recipe Troutboy used, all with standard crimp terminals (i.e. no epoxy required). We're also going to drop the wire gauge on the white and brown wires since #12 is more than adequate and #10 is way overkill (since it was meant for use with the 6-ton EasyStart 368). Better yet, we're going to take some tips from you and lewster and make a Penguin II installation kit that we'll sell for a few dollars alongside the EasyStart. It'll have the necessary 3M tape, crimp terminals, duct putty, tie wraps, etc. That'll make it easier for everyone rather than having to shop around like you did.

And I wouldn't worry too much about your tie wraps. Those will probably outlast all of us. I've seen every other piece of plastic go brittle in ancient equipment, long before the tie wraps do.

We're still finishing off the black enclosure EasyStart 364s, and we'll keep selling those to whoever uses the AIRSTREAM coupon until they're gone. Everyone with those can follow the recipe that Troutboy and I documented. When they're gone, I'll change the product photo on the webstore and website, add the installation kit to the offerings, and we'll post the final IP65 PDF installation guide here and on the website.

Once again, great job! Thank you again!
If you need a fool to test the foolproofnicity of the Penguin II installation kit, I'm your man! I will probably get a chance to do my install in about two weeks.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:28 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Nice job on the install! I think the changes Matteo is making will assure that the new 364 is the optimal solution for an EasyStart on a newer Airstream. If my second try with the 366 fails, I will take that path.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Any real reason to buy the flag "faston" connector vs a straight "faston"??

Just got back from Ace Hardware and did not see the flag type at all.
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #144
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
Any real reason to buy the flag "faston" connector vs a straight "faston"??

Just got back from Ace Hardware and did not see the flag type at all.
If you installing the EasyStart 364, then the type of faston you use really doesn't matter. If you are installing an EasyStart 366 like Larry did, then using the flag fastons was preferred since those terminals kept the overall height of the board plus the connections to a minimum, thus allowing it to fit inside the electric box without any interference or short circuits.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #145
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
If you installing the EasyStart 364, then the type of faston you use really doesn't matter. If you are installing an EasyStart 366 like Larry did, then using the flag fastons was preferred since those terminals kept the overall height of the board plus the connections to a minimum, thus allowing it to fit inside the electric box without any interference or short circuits.
Thanks! I have one of the few black 364s, so I should be good then. Need to get a couple more things and I will be ready, probably install in about 10 days when I am off from work for a bit.

By the way, the black 364 was delivered fast and was packaged great!
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Great job Turk.
Thanks for that.
Sure cant wait for the initial turn on.
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
Thanks! I have one of the few black 364s, so I should be good then. Need to get a couple more things and I will be ready, probably install in about 10 days when I am off from work for a bit.

By the way, the black 364 was delivered fast and was packaged great!

I've got the black one too. Got to go on a trip for nex two weeks but will take on install once back.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Hello members
Just traded in my 2015 FC 25 twin for 2017 FC 28 with 2 ac. Quick
question, does anybody run both ac's at the same time using shore power? Or if boon docking, can​ you run them with 2 2200 watt generator s?

Thanks
Let me return to the OP's question.
147 posts later, the answer is Yes, if you have 50 amp service, and No, because even linked, you don't have 50 amp service consisting of (2) 50 amp legs, you'll have enough watts (marginally) but only as 30 amp service.
I searched a bit and you need big generators linked to provide 50 amp service. (2 Honda 7000is's)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Let me return to the OP's question.
147 posts later, the answer is Yes, if you have 50 amp service, and No, because even linked, you don't have 50 amp service consisting of (2) 50 amp legs, you'll have enough watts (marginally) but only as 30 amp service.
I searched a bit and you need big generators linked to provide 50 amp service. (2 Honda 7000is's)

If the OP is open to an aftermarket modification that can add flexibility, we have an Easy Start device installed on each of our two AC units (one 15,000, the other 13,500), and we can run both ACs simultaneously using just two Honda EU 2000i generators in parallel. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
If the OP is open to an aftermarket modification that can add flexibility, we have an Easy Start device installed on each of our two AC units (one 15,000, the other 13,500), and we can run both ACs simultaneously using just two Honda EU 2000i generators in parallel. Joe
Okay, but you have to go through the 30 amp plug and then a dogbone to the 50 amp cable?
Even though you have two generators, it's not like one runs one A/C and the other runs the second. The two in parallel provide (eh) 4400 watts, but into a 30 amp connector (one hot leg).
I responded because this thread took off into the wonders of the easy start, and the OP did not ask that. Reading between the lines, I took his question to be, "With two generators can I run two air conditioners?"
But you are right.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Okay, but you have to go through the 30 amp plug and then a dogbone to the 50 amp cable?
Even though you have two generators, it's not like one runs one A/C and the other runs the second. The two in parallel provide (eh) 4400 watts, but into a 30 amp connector (one hot leg).
I responded because this thread took off into the wonders of the easy start, and the OP did not ask that. Reading between the lines, I took his question to be, "With two generators can I run two air conditioners?"
But you are right.
Not to confuse this thread...but....Perhaps another question for MicroAir could be, can you run 1300AC and a 1500 AC like are on most 27' and up AS's today, with a single 3400W Generator, or do you need to have 2 separate AC's? We are looking at the new 27' AS FC now, and I understand they come with 2 AC's unless you special order?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #152
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not to confuse this thread...but....Perhaps another question for MicroAir could be, can you run 1300AC and a 1500 AC like are on most 27' and up AS's today, with a single 3400W Generator, or do you need to have 2 separate AC's? We are looking at the new 27' AS FC now, and I understand they come with 2 AC's unless you special order?
Gypsydad - This is a good question and my answer is a definitive "probably not". Here's why:

The Airstream 27' EB into which I installed 2 EasyStarts on President's Day last month had one 13.5kBTU and one 15kBTU A/C like you are considering. Check out my full report earlier in this thread at this link. During our extensive testing, we found that with both A/Cs running, and with what I would consider a "typical background" auxiliary load of about 2A (from the refrigerator and from the converter in "float" mode), the total draw by the trailer was about 29A (=13A+14A+2A). If you do the math, that comes out to 120V x 29A = 3480W. Therefore, a 3400W generator would likely be declaring an overload fault at this point. So, even though two EasyStarts would very likely enable you to start both A/Cs, 3400W from the generator isn't enough steady state power to keep them both running.

Please let me know if this analysis isn't clear to you. Thanks for your question!

(Appendix: For all of the electrical purists out there, yes 120VAC x 29Arms is actually 3480VA or apparent power, not the real power in Watts. However, one can approximate VA to be approximately equal to W in this case since the power factors for the 2 fan motors and 2 compressor motors are all reasonably compensated for by their run capacitors. Based on many engineering measurements I've taken over the years, the power factors for most PSC motors are typically 0.90 or higher, so approximating VA to equal W is a safe assumption.)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
One other note, when you look at the picture of everything I removed, you will see a white wire connected to the small brown capacitor. Obviously, you need to disconnect that white wire from the silver capacitor in order to remove the brown capacitor. Sorry I left that out.
Excellent job and photos! Thanks so much for posting this! Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just FYI, this is part of the Commercial Members section of the Community Rules that Matteo has to work within when posting in this and any related thread involving his products.

"Commercial Members may not solicit our membership or advertise except as specifically allowed in these policies or by prior arrangement with Social Knowledge, LLC. This includes: posting prices, directing members to phone for more info or directing members to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages.
Commercial Members may quote prices only in the Commercial Posts Forum.
Commercial Members are prohibited from making direct, emotionally-charged posts to, or about, competitors.
Commercial Members may not post product comparisons.
Commercial Members may not use any section of the forum except the Commercial Posts Forum to discuss their product, service or company unless answering a direct question from another member, and even then may not quote prices outside the Commercial Posts Forum.
"

He has done a really good job of providing support, information, and direction to everyone here, and we wholeheartedly encourage that.

Try not to lead him astray.

The Site Team
Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #155
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Winter Garden , Florida
Order placed a day or two ago, it will be fun to see whether we get the black box or the IP65 box. Either way, our dealer has agreed to install it. We'll be their guinea pig.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #156
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Exclamation The Black Enclosure EasyStart 364s are now ALL GONE!

The black enclosure EasyStart 364s have now been depleted and only the IP65 version EasyStart 364 will be available going forward. The IP65 version now has a longer harness to better facilitate installation into the Dometic Penguin II A/Cs used on the Airstreams, and there is now also an associated installation kit. PDF instructions on how to install the IP65 version are attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStart 364 (original-NLA).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	282455   Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStart 364 (IP65-AN).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	282456  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf EasyStart 364 Installation into Dometic Penguin II (rev 1.02).pdf (701.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #157
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Thanks. Saved for future reference.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, I hooked up my Honda EU2000i and fired it up! The easystart is working perfectly with the heat pump and fans. I did not try the air conditioner yet as the weather is still pretty cold here and I just wanted some heat to work in the trailer.

Thanks for the help Matteo!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
"Well, I hooked up my Honda EU2000i and fired it up! The easystart is working perfectly with the heat pump and fans. I did not try the air conditioner yet as the weather is still pretty cold here and I just wanted some heat to work in the trailer."

Thats great Turk.
You sure know how to stretch out the drama!
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Final result / turk

Ok, I had time today and the weather was in the 70's, so I fired up the generator and turned on the AC. Well . . . . . . . . . it worked perfectly!!!

I ran it through 7 or 8 cycles to get it programmed and it is amazing. When not running it goes into the "Eco" mode but kicks right in when the thermostat turns it on. Am I happy? Absolutely!

Thanks so much Matteo for all your help and for bringing this to our community. I hope you sell a bundle!

Turk

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote