Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #101
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
EasyStart 364 Installation Options for Dometic Penguin II

Given dblee1950's questions and Turk123's pending installation, I figured I should try and summarize the 2 methods of installing the EasyStart 364 into the Dometic Penguin II.

EasyStart 364 in black enclosure: Myself and others have successfully installed this into the electric box. I made a detailed post on this with a PDF document at this link. Black enclosure EasyStart 364s are almost gone though, so soon everyone will be getting the IP65 model. There are still some available though, and I will have an exact count shortly.

EasyStart 364 in the IP65 enclosure: I'd like Turk123s opinion on this since I think he'll still be the first to do it. Rather than run the harness through the existing hole in the plastic condenser airbox enclosure, I'm thinking if we cut a new hole where shown (#1), lie the EasyStart on its side and route the harness through this hole (#2), it should reach the electric box inside of which the connections can then be made with standard crimp terminals (#4). (Then, there will be no need for the epoxy type of terminals.) Then, all you have to do is make the new hole air tight with some duct seal putty (#3). Let me know what you think, Turk123.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Penguin II Black Enclosure ES364 Installation.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	929.8 KB
ID:	281531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Penguin II IP65 ES364 Installation.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	281532  

Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Mount Dora , stevenwilliams
I use the Yamaha 2000 with the Easy Start on my 2014 Airstream 25FB. I hooked up the Easy Start my self, and if you know how to read a wiring diagram, you can too (4 wires). I found space within the large, plastic A/C roof cover using the existing Easy Start wires. Call me if you have any questions. Steve 352/383-3282
sburrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburrw View Post
I use the Yamaha 2000 with the Easy Start on my 2014 Airstream 25FB. I hooked up the Easy Start my self, and if you know how to read a wiring diagram, you can too (4 wires). I found space within the large, plastic A/C roof cover using the existing Easy Start wires. Call me if you have any questions. Steve 352/383-3282
Do you have the 15,000 BTU low profile Dometic Penguin on your trailer?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
For what its worth, Colonial Airstream in New Jersey, even though they have no previous experience, offered to install the MicroAir devices in our new 2016 International before we picked it up. However they warned us that this would void the warranty and recommended to wait until the warranty expired.

I have to make a decision. Do I use our new trailer as a learning experience for the techs at Colonial? On the positive side it would be the most convenient installation and great to have both ACs powered by our generator set.

My second option is AAP in Virginia.

Or just wait for the Turk123 to document his experience.

RC
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #105
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
For what its worth, Colonial Airstream in New Jersey, even though they have no previous experience, offered to install the MicroAir devices in our new 2016 International before we picked it up. However they warned us that this would void the warranty and recommended to wait until the warranty expired.

I have to make a decision. Do I use our new trailer as a learning experience for the techs at Colonial? On the positive side it would be the most convenient installation and great to have both ACs powered by our generator set.

My second option is AAP in Virginia.

Or just wait for the Turk123 to document his experience.

RC

I would totally let them do it. They have no interest in leaving you unhappy, and the install is simple enough that amateurs should be able to do it...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I would not void the warranty.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
EasyStart 364 in the IP65 enclosure: I'd like Turk123s opinion on this since I think he'll still be the first to do it. Rather than run the harness through the existing hole in the plastic condenser airbox enclosure, I'm thinking if we cut a new hole where shown (#1), lie the EasyStart on its side and route the harness through this hole (#2), it should reach the electric box inside of which the connections can then be made with standard crimp terminals (#4). (Then, there will be no need for the epoxy type of terminals.) Then, all you have to do is make the new hole air tight with some duct seal putty (#3). Let me know what you think, Turk123.
I believe they wanted me to turn the easy start so the exiting cable is on the bottom to avoid and water getting in through that gland. If you do that the cable will not reach the electrical box. It is still pretty inexpensive to install in the airbox, so that is where I will go. Maybe Microair will supply a penguin II option that either has a longer cable, or includes a few connectors and heat shrink tube. This is not rocket science and should not intimidate anyone. Hell, I had more difficulty learning to dump the black water

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Turk, are you leaving your configuration as you installed it?
Old 03-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #109
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Turk, are you leaving your configuration as you installed it?
Earlier this week, we ordered a new Dometic Penguin II at Micro-Air for further testing. If by when we receive it, the weather hasn't allowed Turk to have completed his installation, we'll do an install of the IP65 EasyStart 364 per my proposed recipe, take detailed photos, and post them here. I do not know the estimated delivery date.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #110
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Looking forward to your report, Matteo. I'm also working with my local Airstream dealer, getting them jazzed about installing the EasyStart on Rocinante and then doing the same later for other customers who express an interest. I know it's not that hard to do, just don't want to spend time on my roof if I don't have to. I'd also be happy to be their first install, as I have confidence in them.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #111
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Earlier this week, we ordered a new Dometic Penguin II at Micro-Air for further testing. If by when we receive it, the weather hasn't allowed Turk to have completed his installation, we'll do an install of the IP65 EasyStart 364 per my proposed recipe, take detailed photos, and post them here. I do not know the estimated delivery date.
Dang. I'll renew my offer to bring the trailer to your place (In nj) to play with. I have the penguin ii I believe (2014 airstream). Can also bring a Yamaha 2000...
Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #112
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Looking forward to your report, Matteo. I'm also working with my local Airstream dealer, getting them jazzed about installing the EasyStart on Rocinante and then doing the same later for other customers who express an interest. I know it's not that hard to do, just don't want to spend time on my roof if I don't have to. I'd also be happy to be their first install, as I have confidence in them.
Outstanding! Many thanks. Certainly have your dealer contact me if they have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Dang. I'll renew my offer to bring the trailer to your place (In nj) to play with. I have the penguin ii I believe (2014 airstream). Can also bring a Yamaha 2000...
Thank you again, Scott. We really which we could have you stop by with your trailer. Unfortunately, as you and I previously discussed, our liability insurance at the factory won't allow for it. Feel free to stop by anytime for the nickel tour though!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Well it looks like we may have a warming trend next Saturday!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cortland__OH__44410__10-Day_Weather_Forecast_-_The_Weather_Channel___Weather_com.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	281619  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I'm installing my black easy start tomorrow, using the instructions Mateo provided, for in the box installation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Toughest part will be working around the solar panels I installed two weeks ago. That was bad planning[emoji33]
Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #115
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Best wishes for smooth sailing on the install. Pictures, lots of pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I'm installing my black easy start tomorrow, using the instructions Mateo provided, for in the box installation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Toughest part will be working around the solar panels I installed two weeks ago. That was bad planning[emoji33]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #116
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Thank you again, Scott. We really which we could have you stop by with your trailer. Unfortunately, as you and I previously discussed, our liability insurance at the factory won't allow for it. Feel free to stop by anytime for the nickel tour though!
My bad. Forgot that part!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Can Generators Run Both AC's While Boondocking?

Micro-Air Easy Start - or should we say Easy Install

Today I installed the black Easy Start 364 in my 2017 Flying Cloud 23D Bunk. I believe its a Dometic Penguin II. This is a long two threads detailing my experience (needed two threads because of the number of pictures) See picture below below of the unit I installed.

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	281738

I am a decent do-it-your-selfer, and am comfortable with heights, balance, and working with electrical systems and components (despite having an old nickname of “Sparky”, back when I got paid to work on industrial equipment).

This job was very easy for me, in fact it took about 75 minutes total. One of the hardest parts was gaining access to the right spot on my roof, as I installed 600W of solar panels the week before (Yes, bad planning).

So, to start, I got out the ladder that i use. A nice 12 foot step. I like this because I can actually get above the trailer and step over, no acrobatics required:

Name:	IMG_0351.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	281739

This is what the roof looked like before the install. The AC electric box that I needed acces to is right behind the word Dometic in the picture below. When I installed the solar panels, I opted to use square head bolts instead of the big black wing nuts supplied by AM Solar. I figured it would be harder to swipe the panels with normal bolts (I know, if they really want them they will take them).

Name:	IMG_0352.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	281740

So I unscrewed the 4 bolts from the solar panel, cut the two cable ties I had installed, and moved the panel over (all from the ladder), this then gave me decent access to the area I needed to work on. See below for what it looked like:

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	281741

Next job, get on trailer roof and remove the Dometic white cover. This was easy and doable from one side, the side I was on. Note, that this is the awning side, which also gives added safety, as I could sit on my can when working the panel, and have one foot againts the awning (not too much force). It was little tricky as I had to avoid the solar foot mounts, and cable tie attachment points.

The removal of the cover is easy, 4 Phillips head big screws, two on the front, then one on each side near the rear. This is what it looked like after removing the cover.

Name:	IMG_0353.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	281742

While I was up here and had it opened up, I took photos of the nameplate data of the unit, compressor, and fan. Its a good idea to have that if you need info off it later. Next I removed two hex-head sheet metal screws that gave me access to the inside if the electrical box. I also had to cut the foam seal as Mateo mentioned to remove the box cover, it was easy. This is what it looked like after removing the cover (Note I flipped the cover up to avoid having to cut the foam seal twice):

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	281743

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	281744

Next I removed the bracket off the large silver capacitor. Again, a small hex head sheet metal screw was removed, and the bracket slipped off easily. In order to take the capacitor out, I had to remove the brown wire shown in the picture below, so you need to remember to take that off, and put it back in the same place after you move it to the proper place. I also had to remove the white wire shown in the picture above (the one that shows the screw hole location).

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	281745

I then removed the capacitor, which gave me access to the small capacitor that needed to be removed next. I also popped out the small bulb like thing with red wires attached, it just snaps out of a bracket attached on the left side of the box. Once this is popped out, you can remove the bracket, its a small phillips head sheet metal screw. Then disconnect the red wire from the small bulb from the silver capacitor.

The other red wire on the small bulb thing is attached to the small brown capacitor that you remove next. A small hex-head screw holds this in place. Remove it, and the brown capacitor lifts right out. See pic below:

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	281746

Once you have removed the small bulb thing, the small brown capacitor and all associated brackets, you will be left with the open space to install the easy start and relocate the silver capacitor. The picture below shows you the parts that were removed:

Name:	IMG_0358.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	281747

The next thing I did was move and relocate the silver capacitor to the left hand side of the box. I couldn't fit a cable tie in any of the holes in the left side as Mateo did in his install. Instead I used a 3M attachment point for the cable tie, the same used to hold down my solar panel wires to the roof. I also reattached the brown wire i removed earlier as noted in the pic. Then I removed the white wire from the capacitor that has a right angle connector as noted in the pic (you may have removed this earlier as I mentioned it in one of the previous photos). You can check that you have the right one, just trace this white wire and it should go out of the box to the compressor. It all fits in nice:

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	281748

Continued on next post, ran out of picture space....
Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Can Generators Run Both AC's While Boondocking?

Continued install.....

Next was the Easy start install. The night before I broke off the tabs on the box and removed the sheath as Mateo outlines in his instructions he posted. I also had to bend two of the terminals on the existing board in the electric box as he did so that the easy start would get deeper in the box.

I slid the easy start into its new home and it fit nice, with a little room to spare. I followed Mateos instructions as he laid it out in detail, i suggest you read the PDF he posted the link to the thread earlier in this topic. I had them printed and up on the roof with me.

The first connection i made was the one with the end splice and three wires. This might be confusing as you need two blue wires and the black from the easy start. But there is only one blue wire coming from the compressor! Easy, you need to cut this wire and then splice the two cut blue wires with the black easy start wire with an end splice. See pic below for the wire I am talking about. I then used electric tape around that splice. Note this pic shows the wires before I relocated the capacitor, in case you were wondering why it's back on the right side.

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	281749

Next I crimped a terminal fitting onto the orange wire of the easy start, and connected it to the silver capacitor, where the other red wire was connected.

Next, remember the first short white wire I had to remove to move the capacitor (picture way above), I cut that connector terminal off and put a yellow butt splice on it. I extended this wire to reach the new location of the capacitor with wire cut from the easy start (like Mateo did), crimped it together, crimped a terminal connector on it, and attached it to where all the other white wires were attached to the capacitor.

Next, i crimped a terminal connector onto the white wire from the easy start, and connected it to the capacitor where all the other white connections were.

The last connection is the brown easy start wire. First, there was the white wire we disconnected from the capacitor that had the right angle terminal and ran back to the compressor. I cut that connector off, and used a yellow butt splice to connect it to the brown easy start wire.

This is what it looked like when done (it's hard to see the end splice with the black and blue wires, its under the wire bundle).

Name:	IMG_0360.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	281750

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	281752

Then I replaced the electric box cover and resealed the foam gasket with contact cement. Note there were several places where the foam seal was not sealed where it was spliced (thanks AS Factory!) so i used the cement there as well. I also noticed some of the AC fins were bent or damaged, so again thanks AS Factory! What sloppy work...

I replaced the Dometic cover, went down into the AS and she fired up right away!!! Put the solar panel back in place, and let it cycle on and off about 6 times to learn.

Thats it, very simple and easy. I never felt like I was in an awkward position and in risk of falling, and also never felt overwhelmed. Mateo’s instructions were great. I was slightly confused by the blue wire and the white wire install (both of these wires come from the compressor, thats why I detailed them above.

It got up to 80 degrees in Denver today, with full sun out. The AS AC was struggling a bit and running non stop to keep the temp at 70. I have seen other posts where people are asking about 1 or two ACs, and I would go two in anything larger than a 23 based on what I saw today.

If you have questions, shoot me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	281751  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
One other note, when you look at the picture of everything I removed, you will see a white wire connected to the small brown capacitor. Obviously, you need to disconnect that white wire from the silver capacitor in order to remove the brown capacitor. Sorry I left that out.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
That's a great post Troutboy! I have a 2017 23FB, so I should have an ac set up just like yours. I hope the black 364 Easy Starts don't run out too quick....
HD Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote