Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Buhl , Idaho
Best batteries for an Airstream Trailer

I have a '79 airstream 23' trailer that needs new batteries. What are the best type for this application. I don't have solar and will need to recharge from an electrical connection or generator.

Following, what is the best way to care for the batteries? Remove during the winter in Idaho? Leave hooked up and charge once in a while? Seeking some recommendations!!
goodshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Welcome, Sheperd!

In the blue bar at the top of the page hit the search tab. In the drop down use the GOOGLE search box and start with "battery" or your other search phrases.

This subject, including storage, chargers, trickle maintainers are all covered thoroughly in many threads. You'll be reading till Tuesday! But you'll be an expert when you're done!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Unfortunately I have found there is no right answer. It all depends on what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend. I am of the belief that I don't really do alot of camping with out a connection of small honda generator, so the relatively inexpensive marine/rv batteries you can get any where do just fine for $85/batt for a few years. If however you plan on spending a few weeks unsupported than read the post that the search reveals and figure out which way you need to go. Welcome and keep asking questions! Heck, I had to ask where the outlet were in mine!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
I replaced my batteries with two six volt golf cart batteries in series. I get more capacity with only about 10 pound of extra weight. I did modify my box to allow 2 inches of top clearance. This is the best method I can think of to get more watts.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Wxbuoy is correct in that there really is no correct answer.

However, here is what I would recommend: Measure your battery compartment and buy the largest 12v marine batteries that will fit. I don't think that you will need to pay more than about $100 for each battery. Next, replace the converter if it is original. This should cost you less than $200 (from Best Converter) and will insure that you do not ruin your new batteries by overcharging them.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Wxbuoy is correct in that there really is no correct answer.

However, here is what I would recommend: Measure your battery compartment and buy the largest 12v marine batteries that will fit. I don't think that you will need to pay more than about $100 for each battery. Next, replace the converter if it is original. This should cost you less than $200 (from Best Converter) and will insure that you do not ruin your new batteries by overcharging them.

Dan
This is what I did, for now. My preferences may change when I start boondocking more when I retire.

2 Group 29 wet cell Interstate rv/marine batts. Iota 3 stage charger.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Since MT and ID get freezing temps in the winter, I pull the batts out and store them inside on a float / trickle charger.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote