Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
OOOp's

On edit.... found it noted in the fine print...

Bob
I had to use the "Find" feature on FireFox to locate it. It wasn't featured prominently at all.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You'll pardon my cynicism, but NO amount of dollar savings will replace a superior product made in the USA with a 5 year warranty for a Chinese knock-off that will probably be dead in 3 years.

You simply can not duplicate the superior construction of a Lifeline with a cheap imitation and expect the same service! I hope you prove me wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise............

You may think that I am showing bias as I sell the Lifeline brand, but that decision came after 4 months of research and many conversations with many of the major battery manufacturers....a decision that was not reached lightly.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
You'll pardon my cynicism, but NO amount of dollar savings will replace a superior product made in the USA with a 5 year warranty for a Chinese knock-off that will probably be dead in 3 years.

You simply can not duplicate the superior construction of a Lifeline with a cheap imitation and expect the same service! I hope you prove me wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise............

You may think that I am showing bias as I sell the Lifeline brand, but that decision came after 4 months of research and many conversations with many of the major battery manufacturers....a decision that was not reached lightly.
^
X2!

4th Season...going strong.

Bob
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Laramie , Wyoming
I know this may seem like a very silly question but what does AGM stand for?
mgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See explanation at this link: VRLA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I don't know what idiot wrote that entry to Wiki, but most of what he wrote is exactly 180º out of phase with actual facts regarding AGM batteries.

Comparison with flooded lead–acid cells[edit]

VRLA batteries offer several advantages compared with flooded lead–acid cells. The battery can be mounted in any position, since the valves only operate on overpressure faults. Since the battery system is designed to be recombinant and eliminate the emission of gases on overcharge, room ventilation requirements are reduced and no acid fume is emitted during normal operation. The volume of free electrolyte that could be released on damage to the case or venting is very small. There is no need (nor possibility) to check the level of electrolyte or to top up water lost due to electrolysis, reducing inspection and maintenance.[5]
Because of calcium added to its plates to reduce water loss, a sealed battery recharges much more slowly than a flooded lead acid battery.[6][7] Compared to flooded batteries, VRLA batteries are more sensitive to high temperature,[citation needed] and are more vulnerable to thermal run-away during abusive charging.[1] The electrolyte cannot be tested by hydrometer to diagnose improper charging, which can reduce battery life.[8][7]
AGM automobile batteries are typically about twice the price of flooded-cell batteries in a given BCI size group; gel batteries as much as five times greater. VRLA batteries:
Are less reliable[vague] than flooded lead acid [2]
Have longer recharge time than flooded lead-acid.
Cannot tolerate overcharging: overcharging leads to premature failure.[citation needed]
Have shorter useful life.[citation needed]
Discharge significantly less hydrogen gas.

"Because of calcium added to its plates to reduce water loss, a sealed battery recharges much more slowly than a flooded lead acid battery."
FALSE! An AGM battery, due to it's much lower internal resistance, charges in a much shorter amount of time than a comparable liquid lead acid battery

"Compared to flooded batteries, VRLA batteries are more sensitive to high temperature,[citation needed] and are more vulnerable to thermal run-away during abusive charging."
PARTIALLY FALSE! AGM batteries are far less sensitive to higher operating temperatures than a comparable liquid lead acid battery. Yes, they are more sensitive to extreme overcharging (above 15.5VDC at 77ºFº) and they will outgas thru the one-way valve at this condition over extended periods of time, but you will boil a liquid lead acid battery dry in a similar situation.

"Are less reliable[vague] than flooded lead acid"
FALSE! Without data to back up this sprurious claim, it is meaningless. I have several large banks of Lifeline AGM batteries currently on their 9th year of service in RVs and still show 95% of the original capacity. How is that less reliable?

This entry was obviously written either by a moron or a troll working for the liquid lead acid battery industry. SHOW ME THE FACTS!!!!!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
This link was posted merely for the description of "AGM batteries". At the top of this Wikipedia article, a notation seems to imply that the text needs additional fact checking. Perhaps, it would have been clearer and more accurate to just post the two short paragraphs related to "Absorbed Gas Mat", which appear to be sufficient for this discussion. (See below.)

==========

Extract from Wikipedia article previously referenced:

AGM batteries differ from flooded lead acid batteries in that the electrolyte is held in the glass mats, as opposed to freely flooding the plates. Very thin glass fibers are woven into a mat to increase surface area enough to hold sufficient electrolyte on the cells for their lifetime. The fibers that compose the fine glass mat do not absorb nor are affected by the acidic electrolyte. These mats are wrung out 2–5% after being soaked in acids, prior to manufacture completion and sealing.

The plates in an AGM battery may be any shape. Some are flat, others are bent or rolled. AGM batteries, both deep cycle and starting, are built in a rectangular case to BCI battery code specifications.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote