Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #61
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Just a quick note to say that I called battle born on the phone. They were extremely helpful.

Haven't purchased yet as I'm still weighing AGM options. But I'm leaning heavily this way. Likely 200 ah for a modest system.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #62
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
We had a civil war 1964 with Johnson in office?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
Anyone know anything about Battle Born Batteries, makers of LiFePO4 batteries for about 2.5 years and from Reno Nevada? The make 100 AH battery with internal BMS that has high/low temp shutoffs and high/low voltage shutoffs and cell balancing. Advertised price is $899 including ground shipping. Seems like one of the more economical alternatives, so I'm curious if anyone knows anything about them or their product? --Frank
Thanks for starting the thread.

I am very impressed with them. Very willing to work with a customer to find the right setup that works now and will meet the needs later down the road.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another question: self-discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlebornli View Post
Although the battery management system is inside the pack to make sure that the cells are never operating out of spec, the battery state-of-charge can always be monitored externally. There are a number of battery monitoring systems available that range from simple voltage monitors to charge counters.
Hearing about the work the BMS is constantly doing makes we wonder how much power is consumed. What is the self-discharge rate of these batteries, including the BMS power draw?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
I just pulled the trigger on one of their 100aH. Guy I talked to at BattleBorn said they've tested them with the exact Progressive Dynamics 4-stage charger I've been using for 10 years, it works fine -- in fact, he says they've "tuned" their batteries to work with its 14.4v boost mode. And I can manually put it into "boost" mode any time with my remote, it appears.

Will update after I have some experience with the new set-up. Even if I have to replace my old converter/charger at some point, it won't be the end of the world.

Weighing 29# instead of 65# is a big factor for this old lady! Same reason I got aluminum propane tanks and wheels -- I need to be able to pick stuff up!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
We had a civil war 1964 with Johnson in office?
Correction "1864"

You got us. Thanks for your interest in our product and company. If you ever get up here to Reno, please stop by to see us we will give you a tour of the factory.
battlebornli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Hearing about the work the BMS is constantly doing makes we wonder how much power is consumed. What is the self-discharge rate of these batteries, including the BMS power draw?
Great question. The power consumption of the BMS is minuscule as compared to the self discharge of the Li-ion cells themselves - which is already quite low compared to other types of rechargeable batteries. The self-discharge of the cells is about 2% per month.
battlebornli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 AM   #68
DSchell

1966 24' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
So I live in Reno NV and have been planning an LiPo battery upgrade this year. I have read this entire thread, and I am very interested in this battery. I am going to take Sean at Battle Born up on the offer of a factory tour. I eventually want to purchase and install solar panel , charge controller and inverter at some point in the future. We'll see..but the drop in aspect of these batteries has got my attention. I will post my impressions of BB and whether I pull the trigger on these batteries.
dschellenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #69
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Great. Weather is getting better here and I'm itching for a solar/battery project. BB still the frontrunner.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #70

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Brentwood , California
Battle Born Battery Install

I just finished the install of one of Battleborn's 100 amp hour batteries. Could not have been easier.

Sean at BB was super helpful and always responded next day to my emails and questions. There was a little hiccup with FedEx delivering to my house and Sean took care of it for me. Great customer service!

A little background. I bought my 1 year used 2015 27FB Twin and the stock flooded batteries were already fried. The previous owner installed the upgraded PD 4655 converter/charger. After confirming with Sean at BB that this worked with their battery BMS, I decided to take the plunge.

I ruled out transitioning to 6v due to the fact that a battery box modification would have made access to my front storage compartment less than ideal. I also store my rig indoors at a facility and I don't have the ability to plug in while in storage. I am not ready to upgrade to solar or a larger inverter. At this point in my life, I am only really able to get out 3-4 days at a time to enjoy camping with my kids and wife. I have a generator. A large outlay of money for the electrical system is not in the cards right now.

I priced out a couple of options for upgrading from flooded to AGM and in the end it would have cost in the neighborhood of $650 all said and done. The BB battery didn't cost much more, and I'm getting more amp hours than I would have with either two group 24 or 27 agm replacements, and I don't have to worry about discharging below 50%.

I've attached 3 pics: the before, the after, and the battery monitor read-out. The only thing I have left to do is install a couple of L-brackets on two sides of the battery on the bottom of the battery box to prevent it from moving around. The battery barely covers a small portion of the stock battery holder threaded rod, so I only have it in there temporarily b/c it's at an angle. Two of the BB batteries would easily fit in my battery box.

I'll give an update after this summer season on how it performs both in and out of storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	282966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2776.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	282967  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	282968  
camperkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Looks good Kev, keep us posted on how well the drop in works.....
Old 04-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #72

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Brentwood , California
will do!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #73
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I though Lithiums put out ~12.8 volts. is your trailer plugged into shore power? Perhaps your battery monitor is picking up the voltage output from your charger while it is attempting to float your batteries?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #74

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Brentwood , California
Nope, not on shore power, just the new battery.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #75
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I though Lithiums put out ~12.8 volts. is your trailer plugged into shore power? Perhaps your battery monitor is picking up the voltage output from your charger while it is attempting to float your batteries?
Most lithium resting voltages are 13.5VDC.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #76
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Cool thanks! Learning my lifelines rest at 12.8 - had a serious lapse there!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Other than weight saving I cannot see what the advantage of 1 100 amp battle born battery. If discharged to 20% you would use 80 amps. The same as a safe discharge of 2 standard batteries of 81 amp hrs each.

I can understand going to 200 amp hrs of Battle Born batteries but $200 vs $900. for the same useful discharge?

I think the batteries look great just would be great if there was a 160 amp or something in between.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I agree most people go to lithium for increased capacity, but at a similar capacity they will offer substantial weight savings and some have suggested they are cost effective because they last for more charge cycles.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #79
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Other than weight saving I cannot see what the advantage of 1 100 amp battle born battery. If discharged to 20% you would use 80 amps. The same as a safe discharge of 2 standard batteries of 81 amp hrs each.

I can understand going to 200 amp hrs of Battle Born batteries but $200 vs $900. for the same useful discharge?

I think the batteries look great just would be great if there was a 160 amp or something in between.

Dave
Your standard batteries won't last long if you discharge all the way down to 20%. Generally you shouldn't discharge them past 50%.

So that's one advantage. Another advantage is rapid recharge time. If you can supply the power, you can charge a lithium very fast since most will take bulk charge all the way to 99% (can't speak for the Battleborn, but my GBS lithiums will). This is really great for taking advantage of solar.

Also, like Frank stated, the number of cycles reduces the cost if you do the math. I don't know about these batteries, but when I built my setup, I did the cycles and capacity, to determine while the upfront cost was more, the overall cost per amp hour was cheaper. Becuase I'd be replacing my AGM's before the lithiums.

Technomadia bought GBS cells back in 2011 if memory serves me correctly. They're still running that battery bank. And last time I read an update they'd only lost about 18% of capacity.

Those are all great advantages over traditional and AGM.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #80
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
If I recall correctly technomadia was postulating that the loss of capacity was due to running the batteries at high temps, i.e. outside ambient in summer. If that's true you may want to move that battery inside. Also would help with charging while freezing.