Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Battery stopped taking a charge

Everything was working fine when I camped with my Overlander two weeks ago. I was boondocking for five days, and I still had an okay level left in my battery when I came home.

I plugged in for about twenty four hours before I took off last week, and when I left on Friday afternoon, I had a full charge. I was at a campground with full hookups, so I plugged in. When I unplugged in to leave three days later, my battery was totally dead. It didn't charge at all while traveling to the next stop on our caravan, and same thing happened at the next campground. I had nothing without being plugged in.

The converter sounds like it is running properly, and it's fuses are okay. I am figuring (hoping) it is one of those fuses in my battery box. They are a pain in the butt to check, so I haven't done it yet, but I will check them out in the morning. Any other suggestions, if this isn't it?
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Did you check the battery voltage with everything disconnected? From what you describe, it sounds like the battery might have gone bad. I would definitely check the battery thoroughly before doing much more troubleshooting on other things.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Age of battery? Method of testing for voltage remaining? Type (brand, age) of converter?

Just the facts, ma'am...
Old 01-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

1977 27' Overlander
eau claire , Michigan
can somebody tell me what that thingy is in the battery compartment. Found it not connected to battery. should it be connected? trailer is plugged to 110.
rangerchief is offline   Reply With Quote