Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Calgary , Alberta
Battery relocation & lithium upgrade complete on 27FB

Hi everyone,

After researching the topic last fall and then buying up the necessary parts over the winter, I was finally able to get the battery relocation and lithium upgrade, along with the other associated bits, completed on our 2019 International Signature 27FB over the last little bit.

I ended up going with three of Lynac Lithium Technology's 12.8V 100Ah – True Series – Low Temp batteries for a total rated capacity of 360Ah. Conor was great to deal with for anyone considering their product and he happily answered all my questions. I am confident they will perform very well for us.

I used 4/0 cable to connect the batteries in the battery bank and then to connect the battery bank to the main fuse (400A T-Class), from the main fuse to the main disconnect switch, from the main disconnect switch to the positive busbar, from the positive busbar to the inverter fuse (100A ANL) which wasn't necessary right now but figured I might as well do it now in case we upgrade our inverter to a higher wattage unit in the future, and also the cables on the negative side from the battery bank to the shunt for the Victron BMV-712 Smart battery monitor, and from the shunt to the negative busbar.

I pulled the cable that ran from both the inverter and DC panel in the front storage compartment to the stock batteries in their location in the battery box inside the trailer - reusing the 4AWG inverter cable and upgrading the DC panel cable to 4AWG with a 60A ANL fuse inline for good measure.

To support the new LiFEPO4 batteries, I decided to upgrade the stock converter/charger to WFCO's lithium compatible WF-8950L2-MBA replacement unit. The installation of this was as simple as the directions indicate... five wires and a few screws on your main board.

I also installed a Renogy 12V DC TO DC On-Board Battery Charger to protect the tow vehicle charging system when connected to the AS while hopefully providing a little top-up while driving as well. I protected this with circuit breaker switches on the input and output side per Renogy's recommendation.

I extended the tongue jack 10AWG wiring and ran it through one of the repurposed external wiring looms to a 30A circuit breaker switch in the front storage compartment so I can turn this off if I want to. I also extended the Zamp Solar port 10AWG wiring to the busbars in the front storage compartment as we have a Canada Proof 180W Portable Monocrystalline Solar Panel "suitcase" that we're going to play around with a little this season as we assess our usage and recharging requirements.

I think it turned out pretty clean and is ready to be upgraded or enhanced if we decide we need more battery capacity, a bigger inverter, and very likely permanent solar panels on the roof at some point in time.

Thanks to everyone who has previously posted on the many threads on this general topic - there is a lot of good information within this community. A special thanks to Ronnie (GMFL) for taking the time to have a phone call with me a few months back to share some of his very valuable experience and provide some great advice.

Cheers,
Dion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_151524.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	393874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_151539.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	393875  

Name:	20210421_151146.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	393876   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_151136.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	393877  

Name:	20210421_151129.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	393878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210421_151117.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	393879  

Name:	20210409_154512.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	393880   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210409_154150.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	393881  

Name:	20210409_105033.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	393882  
qwertyd10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thank you for the writeup and pictures, very nice install. I am just finishing up a solar install on my trailer and am now wanting to get LiFePo batteries, good information.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mission , British Columbia
That looks amazing. Don't happen to have a parts list of what you needed, do you?
flxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Wann do this for me too?
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Nice work Dion. I had wondered about the Lynac product from Thunder Bay Ontario. It seems solid and worth a look. I will definitely consider them when I move forward with my Lithium upgrade from the AGM batteries I installed when I added solar.
Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:31 AM   #6
Winemaker

2014 23' International
2022 27' International
2021 20' Basecamp
Santa Rosa , California
That looks great! I just finished my upgrade on my 27FB International yesterday. I also spent a ton of time researching and getting the parts before starting the hands on work.

I still want to add the labels and do some minor changes (not happy with the tongue jack wires/fuse) but it’s mostly there.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5B0807CA-A46C-42F5-8329-15C0480904FC.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	410774  
WBCCI# 24559
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Talking

Wow, what a great-looking job! Well done!

I am just not that knowledgeable or talented when it comes to electronics. I did the lithium, shunt, and DC/DC charger install as well, but nothing like this. I left the batteries and the shunt in the AS battery box and the DC/DC in the truck.

I will wait for you to post a parts list and perhaps give it a go, or I am just up the road and could make the short trip to Calgary

I would also like to see where are the wiring goes on the Inverter side. Did you also change out any of factory the bus bars over there?
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
A thing of beauty!

Great looking installation and very apparent for the benefit of anyone servicing or conducting future upgrades.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by flxstr View Post
That looks amazing. Don't happen to have a parts list of what you needed, do you?
How detailed of a list are you looking for?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Tongue weight change

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyd10n View Post
Hi everyone,

After researching the topic last fall and then buying up the necessary parts over the winter, I was finally able to get the battery relocation and lithium upgrade, along with the other associated bits, completed on our 2019 International Signature 27FB over the last little bit.

I ended up going with three of Lynac Lithium Technology's 12.8V 100Ah – True Series – Low Temp batteries for a total rated capacity of 360Ah. Conor was great to deal with for anyone considering their product and he happily answered all my questions. I am confident they will perform very well for us.

I used 4/0 cable to connect the batteries in the battery bank and then to connect the battery bank to the main fuse (400A T-Class), from the main fuse to the main disconnect switch, from the main disconnect switch to the positive busbar, from the positive busbar to the inverter fuse (100A ANL) which wasn't necessary right now but figured I might as well do it now in case we upgrade our inverter to a higher wattage unit in the future, and also the cables on the negative side from the battery bank to the shunt for the Victron BMV-712 Smart battery monitor, and from the shunt to the negative busbar.

I pulled the cable that ran from both the inverter and DC panel in the front storage compartment to the stock batteries in their location in the battery box inside the trailer - reusing the 4AWG inverter cable and upgrading the DC panel cable to 4AWG with a 60A ANL fuse inline for good measure.

To support the new LiFEPO4 batteries, I decided to upgrade the stock converter/charger to WFCO's lithium compatible WF-8950L2-MBA replacement unit. The installation of this was as simple as the directions indicate... five wires and a few screws on your main board.

I also installed a Renogy 12V DC TO DC On-Board Battery Charger to protect the tow vehicle charging system when connected to the AS while hopefully providing a little top-up while driving as well. I protected this with circuit breaker switches on the input and output side per Renogy's recommendation.

I extended the tongue jack 10AWG wiring and ran it through one of the repurposed external wiring looms to a 30A circuit breaker switch in the front storage compartment so I can turn this off if I want to. I also extended the Zamp Solar port 10AWG wiring to the busbars in the front storage compartment as we have a Canada Proof 180W Portable Monocrystalline Solar Panel "suitcase" that we're going to play around with a little this season as we assess our usage and recharging requirements.

I think it turned out pretty clean and is ready to be upgraded or enhanced if we decide we need more battery capacity, a bigger inverter, and very likely permanent solar panels on the roof at some point in time.

Thanks to everyone who has previously posted on the many threads on this general topic - there is a lot of good information within this community. A special thanks to Ronnie (GMFL) for taking the time to have a phone call with me a few months back to share some of his very valuable experience and provide some great advice.

Cheers,
Dion
It seems from the install that you moved the batteries well inside under the bed. Have you had a chance to weigh your rig or get a weight at the tongue/hitch. Just wonder if shifting and lowering weight has much of an impact on the tongue weight and if you are still within the 10-15% of recommendations.
Streamside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
It seems from the install that you moved the batteries well inside under the bed. Have you had a chance to weigh your rig or get a weight at the tongue/hitch. Just wonder if shifting and lowering weight has much of an impact on the tongue weight and if you are still within the 10-15% of recommendations.
Yes, I stopped at a CAT Scale a few times when heading out fully loaded last season to make sure I had the WDH hitch setup properly and wasn't exceeding specified capacities of anything. I'm close on the rear axle spec of our tow vehicle and am probably a little over the posted max tongue weight, but there is no issue with being within the 10-15% recommendation for the TW.

I was hoping to reduce the TW a little by moving the batteries into the front storage compartment, but then I decided to buy three of the lithium batteries which pretty much eliminated any of the weight savings gained by switching from the flooded lead acid. I expect it's a little better distribution by being back ~4' from where the original batteries were in the battery box.