Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Battery Questions Before I Forget...

So I have a brand new setup with 2 brand new Trojan 6 volt batteries. System operates as expected and I am very happy with everything at this point. There are 2 things that I need to address before I forget. The first is ventilation for the batteries. I have them currently stored in a battery box near the original battery compartment door. It is not sealed off from the rest of the trailer. It is also not currently vented. I do have a vent kit (which is just a plastic tube. I intend to link this to the Sewer Ventilation Pipe from the grey tank. That way it can gas upwards and out.... Will that work / be safe? Am I currently in serious danger while not being vented? Do I need a battery box 12v fan?

OK next up is refilling the batteries. I have never done this but I have done a small amount of research on this. I would prefer to get one of the kits that pop into each cell and fill simultaneously. Can anyone give tips on this process and which kit works best? Advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks as always for any help!

Chris
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I would think there would be a chance of sparking even with a 12v fan...which could be a bad thing, considering the potential hydrogen gassing issue. Hydrogen gas is lighter than air, so I would think it would go out the vent pipe (but I don't know this for sure). Most importantly, what is your converter set-up? I'm assuming you have upgraded to a new 3-stage converter...that will be less likely to boil your new batteries?
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Chris,

A few points:

• your liquid lead acid batteries WILL out-gas when charged, even when properly charged, so you should vent to the outside and place them in a sealed battery container NOW!

• multi-cell filling systems are fairly easy to use, but some are not that reliable. IMHO, you would be better off hand filling each cell, which also lets you keep track of the water usage of each cell and will allow you to spot a problem (excess water usage in one or more cells) before it becomes a major problem

• If you don't have an automatic 3-stage converter/charger, your Univolt WILL kill your batteries in short order. Better to keep it off and watch the re-charge until it is full rather than rely on it. A 3-stage charging section is a must!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Lewster! Been a long time. I never did get to thank you for all your advice in the past. I want you to know that your help led me to a fully functioning brand new 12v and 110v electrical system in my Argosy. All of the safety precautions are in place (except for this gassing issue) I do in fact have a 3 stage charger as well.

I have never filled battery cells before but I will give it a try. Is it as easy as throwing on some gloves, getting some distilled water and filling each cell to a designated line?
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Lewster! Been a long time. I never did get to thank you for all your advice in the past. I want you to know that your help led me to a fully functioning brand new 12v and 110v electrical system in my Argosy. All of the safety precautions are in place (except for this gassing issue) I do in fact have a 3 stage charger as well.

I have never filled battery cells before but I will give it a try. Is it as easy as throwing on some gloves, getting some distilled water and filling each cell to a designated line?
YEP!

Fill to the bottom of the split ring (very obvious) on each cell and you're done!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote