Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
Battery Placement Retrofit

We are in the middle of restoring our 72 23' Safari and I would like to increase the battery capacity and at the same time, move where the battery is stored.

What I would like to do is replace the battery with a pair of AGM batteries and place them up front under the dinette area. I would put them in the plastic battery boxes and put the charging system up front also.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? I know I am allowed to have AGM batteries in the house and the Lifeline batteries are pretty good at not spewing hydrogen. What about in the RV? How many rules am I violating by doing this?

Should I add a vent to the outside? Are the plastic battery boxes adequate or should I plan on something in addition to them? Are there other places to put the batteries that would be more appropriate?
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I went to a two battery set up. I used 2 group 24. I keep one in the original battery box and the other in a box under my rear gaucho. I could only fit a 24 in there behind the storage drawers. (I also got two Delco AGMs free).

With a battery under the gaucho I would not use anything but an AGM. I am rebuilding the gaucho battery box. The original as well as the new one are vented to the outside and the box is relatively sealed. I also use a glued on piece of cloth that was soaked in hydrated lime then dried. The theory is that it will react with free hydrogen (if there is any) that contacts it. So far (2 years) there have been no problems.

I feel a vent to the outside is a prudent safety measure for the battery that is inside the RV space, even if it is in a container that should prevent hyddrogen escape.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
batteries...

I have 8~Optima group 27 batteries under our sofa and have not had any problems at all.