Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
battery monitor a new thing

first off I know nothing of this subject so please excuse my lack of proper knowledge of what I am about to ask.
We are just starting to embark on a new way of camping- boondocking, and because of this we are starting to learn and prepare.
We are looking into buying a pair of 12v AGM batteries in the 100Ah range and hook them up in parallel. At some point we will be adding solar but not right now. Our charging system is a PD 4045 , and we intend to purchase a Honda 2200i to charge the batteries, at least so far I think that is our intentions. What I am asking y’all is what is a good and proper battery monitoring system, and is there a need to have something else for when we do convert or rather add a solar update at a later time-?
Thanks for any suggestions.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #2

2017 30' Classic
Tallahassee , Florida
For boondocking, you definitely want a good battery monitor to let you know your battery level and when to recharge. There are a lot of good battery monitors on the market. The generally accepted standard is Victron. Victron components are very high quality. The Victron BMV-712 includes bluetooth that will allow you to monitor your battery status from a smartphone using their app. Victron makes a ton of different components for the marine and rv markets including solar controllers for when you get to that point.
Karvi is offline   Reply With Quote