Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Battery Disconnect Switch not working

I normally never bother my battery disconnect switch, but noticed yesterday that the switch is not working. No light, and will not activate the solenoid switch. A little search and have not found any info, so wondered if someone might have a place to start my search? I did find info on the unit that says there are two 5 amp fuses, not certain where they are located, we have a 2015 Classic by the way. Any and all suggestions always welcome
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

. , Ohio
The 5 amp fuses you have referenced will be on the battery disconnect solenoid located on the front end board near the inverter under the front window.
jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Are you sure your batteries are not dead? You need energy to energize the solenoid. I had some bad batteries before and would have to charge up to activate the switch.
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto. What is your battery voltage? The relays do go bad, as many threads here reveal:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...lay&gsc.page=1

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
found them

the fuses were hidden in plain sight. I found both fuses had blown, replaced and everything is working. I am wondering if they were bothered when we had work done at Airstream, console installed covering wiring and the solenoid. I'll keep an eye on it. What is the inline fuse, labeled 1 amp max, that is located in the same area for?
Thanks for the fast responses and help
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

. , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
What is the inline fuse, labeled 1 amp max, that is located in the same area for?
The 1 amp inline fuse is for the LP detector
jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
The 1 amp inline fuse is for the LP detector
Nice to know. Thanx.

"Trailer Trash squatting in a Tin Shed "
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Camarillo , California
My Chassis batter disconnect won't disconnect. I am attached to shore power? Thoughts? Mine baby is 1988 345 MH
Ripley345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm having a weird problem with my use/store switch. I put in the batteries that have been on a trickle charger all winter. Yesterday, I turned on the switch to USE, the red light went on, I could turn my interior light on (just battery, nonshore power) and all was good. I shut off the lights and put the switch in to STORE mode. Tonight, I just picked up the trailer to bring it home in prep for a weekend outing and went to turn on the lights and fridge so attempted to put the switch in to USE mode. I could hear the solenoid click, but the red light wasn't going on. I put it back in STORE mode and tried to go back to USE mode - no luck though I could still hear the solenoid clicking. If I pressed USE mode and slight start backing off, the red light flashes for a fraction of a second but won't stay on.

Earlier in this thread someone talked about 2 5 amp fuses which I assume on a 27FB are under the bed??? I will check them. And I will test the voltage on the batteries (though the propane sniffer is working even though I can't get the power on).

It sounds like the switch itself is bad to me but I'm not sure. Any thoughts are most welcome! Also, if it is the switch is that easy enough to swap out? I assume I'd have to disconnect the batteries to do that and not be connected to shore power.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I'm having a weird problem with my use/store switch. I put in the batteries that have been on a trickle charger all winter. Yesterday, I turned on the switch to USE, the red light went on, I could turn my interior light on (just battery, nonshore power) and all was good. I shut off the lights and put the switch in to STORE mode. Tonight, I just picked up the trailer to bring it home in prep for a weekend outing and went to turn on the lights and fridge so attempted to put the switch in to USE mode. I could hear the solenoid click, but the red light wasn't going on. I put it back in STORE mode and tried to go back to USE mode - no luck though I could still hear the solenoid clicking. If I pressed USE mode and slight start backing off, the red light flashes for a fraction of a second but won't stay on.

Earlier in this thread someone talked about 2 5 amp fuses which I assume on a 27FB are under the bed??? I will check them. And I will test the voltage on the batteries (though the propane sniffer is working even though I can't get the power on).

It sounds like the switch itself is bad to me but I'm not sure. Any thoughts are most welcome! Also, if it is the switch is that easy enough to swap out? I assume I'd have to disconnect the batteries to do that and not be connected to shore power.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

(Not really quoting myself)

I just checked the two 5 amp fuses - they are fine. When I pulled them out, I tried the switch and heard no solenoid (as expected). When I put them back in, I could hear the solenoid but the red light won't stay on.

The batteries tested at 12.71V on my meter. I understand anything above 12.6 is 100% charged. So the batteries are fine (as expected).

So now a few specific questions::

1) most important - let's say I can't get this fixed by tomorrow. If I set up at the camp ground and plug in to shore power, will the trailer run without the use/store switch working properly? I think in will though I would expect the batteries wouldn't charge...

2) How do I tell whether it's the solenoid or the switch itself?

3) are those parts generic (like available at my local RV store) or do I need to order them from AS? Are there specific part numbers for them?

Thanks all!!
Powerless Steve
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
(Not really quoting myself)

I just checked the two 5 amp fuses - they are fine. When I pulled them out, I tried the switch and heard no solenoid (as expected). When I put them back in, I could hear the solenoid but the red light won't stay on.

The batteries tested at 12.71V on my meter. I understand anything above 12.6 is 100% charged. So the batteries are fine (as expected).

So now a few specific questions::

1) most important - let's say I can't get this fixed by tomorrow. If I set up at the camp ground and plug in to shore power, will the trailer run without the use/store switch working properly? I think in will though I would expect the batteries wouldn't charge...

2) How do I tell whether it's the solenoid or the switch itself?

3) are those parts generic (like available at my local RV store) or do I need to order them from AS? Are there specific part numbers for them?

Thanks all!!
Powerless Steve

I feel like I'm talking to myself [emoji23]

Ok - I've answered my own question about whether shore power will work without the switch working. Yes it does. I plugged 20A in from the house and stuff works.

Oddly - the red light in the use/store switch is on permanently (as it would be on shore power whether in use or store position) so that makes me wonder why it won't stay on when in USE with fully charged (12.71V) batteries.

Does that feel more like the switch or the solenoid to you?

I've been told how to test the solenoid on the 12V side of the fuse box which I will do tomorrow.

So I may also have an answer to my second question (though I still welcome your thoughts....).

3rd question I'm still puzzled on.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions most welcome!
Old 04-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Penfield , New York
Hello,
Did you ever find the answer to your problem? Im curios because I am having the same exact problem.

Jim
DreamsInSlvr is offline   Reply With Quote