Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Battery Disconnect Light

I have a question about the battery disconnect switch? I want to be able to place the switch in the "store" position when plugged-into shore power for long periods of time to keep my new AGM batteries from being overcharged. But if I remember correctly, the red light on the disconnect switch stays on while connected to shore power even if I toggle the switch to the "store" position. Am I correct that the red light stays on (even in the "store" position) when plugged into shore power, and if so, how do I know for sure that the batteries are really disconnected and will not overcharge?
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
battery store light

I am a newbie so I don't know much. However I do know that when plugged to shore power the light stays on in either position. But on mine I can't tell whether the solenoid is engaging or disengaging when I toggle the switch! Sorry I can't be more help.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

wlanford,

Disconnect the + cable on both Batt's and check for power from the cable to ground with a test light....

But....

If your coach has the Parallax 7455 series converter my best advise would be to change out the converter for a 3 stage unit. The P-Lax is noted for overcharging when on shore power for extended periods.
When we switched to Lifeline AGM's I went to the IOTA DLS 55a IQ4. Any questions give Randy a call at Best Converter, he won't steer 'ya wrong.

Bob
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I do plan to install a 3 stage converter in the spring. In the meantime, I could disconnect the positive battery terminals as you suggest at each stop, but for my purposes wouldn't it be easier just to use the battery disconnect switch? We will have shore power at each stop. I could easily flip the switch to "use" once a day for an hour or so to keep the batteries topped-off. I will only be in one location for 3-4 days at a time and I don't want to have to repeatedly unhook and rehook the battery cables. Whether I use the battery disconnect switch or unhook the battery terminals, will my Parallax converter in my 2012 25FB harm my new AGM group 24 batteries. And what is the easiest way to tell if the batteries are receiving power from the converter?
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanford View Post
I do plan to install a 3 stage converter in the spring. In the meantime, I could disconnect the positive battery terminals as you suggest at each stop, but for my purposes wouldn't it be easier just to use the battery disconnect switch? We will have shore power at each stop. I could easily flip the switch to "use" once a day for an hour or so to keep the batteries topped-off. I will only be in one location for 3-4 days at a time and I don't want to have to repeatedly unhook and rehook the battery cables. Whether I use the battery disconnect switch or unhook the battery terminals, will my Parallax converter in my 2012 25FB harm my new AGM group 24 batteries. And what is the easiest way to tell if the batteries are receiving power from the converter?
wlanford,

You should be fine....the P-lax does it's nasties on much longer hook OOP's.

If your worried, unplug, the AGM's should be able to keep you up and going between the 120 usages.

A couple basic meters will help keep track of things....
120v plugged into any ac outlet.

12v plugged into a power port.

I'm pretty simple...others get fancy.

Bob
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The battery disconnect in the 'STORE' position does isolate the batteries from the Parallax single stage converter/charger. I've verified this thru correspondence with Airstream and the battery voltage meter on my solar controller. On the rare occasions that we're on shore power for more than an overnight, I switch to STORE after the first night. A simple 12v outlet plug in volt meter would let you monitor your battery voltage. No need to disconnect the battery cables.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I agree with Bob 3-4 days is not a long time for being plugged in, if your batteries are more then 25% drained it can take close to 24 hours for a full charge (that last 10% takes much more time then the rest of the charging time). When most say a long time on shore power (for potential battery problems) they normally mean 2 weeks or more.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS

wlanford,

You should be fine....the P-lax does it's nasties on much longer hook OOP's.

If your worried, unplug, the AGM's should be able to keep you up and going between the 120 usages.

A couple basic meters will help keep track of things....
120v plugged into any ac outlet.

12v plugged into a power port.

I'm pretty simple...others get fancy.

Bob
Hey Robert
What exactly are those meters and where do I get them?
Thanks
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Hey Robert
What exactly are those meters and where do I get them?
Thanks
Mike

Mike,

The TRC is on Amazon. See description on features/price.

The 12v Volt Minder is a state of charge and charge rate meter, the website is down as they switch production back to US.

Fairly simple items but both have served us well.

Bob
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
The battery disconnect in the 'STORE' position does isolate the batteries from the Parallax single stage converter/charger. I've verified this thru correspondence with Airstream and the battery voltage meter on my solar controller. On the rare occasions that we're on shore power for more than an overnight, I switch to STORE after the first night. A simple 12v outlet plug in volt meter would let you monitor your battery voltage. No need to disconnect the battery cables.
With the further caveat that, if the store/use switch is really disconnecting the batteries, a meter plugged into one of the 12V outlets inside the trailer would be reading the output of the converter, not the batteries or the system as a whole. You'd need to run a line to the battery terminals or some connectors between the store/use switch and the batteries to measure the voltage of the batteries while disconnected, and that should also give you the voltage of the overall 12V system when in the "Use" position.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
With the further caveat that, if the store/use switch is really disconnecting the batteries, a meter plugged into one of the 12V outlets inside the trailer would be reading the output of the converter, not the batteries or the system as a whole. You'd need to run a line to the battery terminals or some connectors between the store/use switch and the batteries to measure the voltage of the batteries while disconnected, and that should also give you the voltage of the overall 12V system when in the "Use" position.
Good clarification, DKB.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote