Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #1

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Question Battery disconnect issue

First time posting an issue so bear with me if I fumble around.
I have a 2017 FC 23’. It is my second AS. I purchased my first AS last year—a 2018 FC 19’ (this was a single axle Bambi but with Flying Cloud features).
Wanting a bit more room (and double axle!), we upsized to the 23’ a few months ago.
It’s in great condition, well maintained by the original owner. But there is one thing that bothers me.
Whenever I plug it in to shore power, the battery disconnect switch goes to “use” and I can’t even manually turn it to “store.” (This is unlike my first AS—I had to switch it to “use” when I plugged to shore power and I could toggle it on and off.)
When not plugged in, the switch operates normally.
I don’t know if other AS do this or if it is anything to be concerned about.
I had battery issues where I managed to drain the batteries to the point where they were ruined. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the battery disconnect. I had my power converter checked and it is functioning properly.
Tomjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
The “use” light means you have 12 volt power available. When plugged in that power is coming from the converter. If you press the store button you will disconnect the batteries and they won’t be charged while plugged in.
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Yes, this is normal behavior. As Dolson said, this allows your batteries to be charged when you are plugged in. Unfortunately, AS was not consistent in the way they wired this switch up. In some trailers, the Use switch comes on when you plug into shore power and you can then shut the Use switch off. Other trailers will not allow you to do this. I am not sure why you would want to do this though, as the batteries will not be charged when turned off.

To save your batteries, always remember to turn the switch off, or to Store, when not plugged in. Also remember, this is not a cutoff switch, there is still a small draw on the batteries even when the switch is off. The propane detector and subwoofer both draw a small amount of power and will drain your batteries in about a week.

If you want a true battery cutoff, you will have to install one yourself.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tomjp,

Welcome to Airforums. Ask away and someone should have been there done that info about your question.

Safe travels,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:44 AM   #5

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thumbs up

Thanks so much. I wasn’t sure whether to be concerned or not. All the research I did never touched on my problem. Now I know where to go for answers!
Tomjp is offline   Reply With Quote