Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_13 View Post
It’s likely you’ve already considered this but if you opt to install a disconnect switch for the batteries be certain the wire that supplies power to the trailer breakaway switch on the A frame remains “hot” even with the switch set to off. Otherwise you or the next owner of the trailer will need to remember to turn the battery switch on before towing. While unlikely, if the trailer would become unattached from the tow vehicle, no power would be applied to the trailer brakes from the house battery unless this wire is “hot”.
This was a consideration when I devised my switch using the negative cables. The breakaway switch uses the negative buss bar, and so would not have power. However, neither would the jack, so it's a easy reminder to flip the switch to "1", before connecting.
In general, I leave the switch on until it goes back to storage.
(I have never used the inverter yet!)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Cody , Wyoming
Does anybody use a NOCO Genius G3500 to maintain their Lead acid batteries. I have for the last year or so and it seems to work well.
Greg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg26 View Post
Does anybody use a NOCO Genius G3500 to maintain their Lead acid batteries. I have for the last year or so and it seems to work well.
I use the G7200 version and I do find it does an excellent job of keeping the batteries up. Oddly enough, I have never had to add water to my batteries even while the charger is hooked up full time for winter storage. I bought this charger as it has a battery recovery mode,(desulfation) as I also experienced the issue of completely dead batteries after leaving the trailer with the use/store switch in the store position. The batteries appeared to be permanently damaged based on hydrometer readings after charging with the trailers charging system for 3 full days. 2 days on the NOCO chargers desulfation mode and they were almost fully recovered.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg26 View Post
Yes, in addition to a real battery disconnect.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote