Here's something I've wondered about for a while. Maybe someone who knows more about this subject can set me straight!
In addition to having a meter and low voltage alarm for 110vac in our trailer, I also have a 12v
digital meter that I leave plugged into a cigarette lighter plugged in the trailer just so I can now what goes on.
It invariable sits at around 13.7 - 13.8 volts for as long as we are connected to shore power.
What I'm not sure about is whether this same voltage is being seen across my battery terminals or not at all times - I recall putting a meter across the battery on one instance and did measure the same voltage.
I had the feeling that IF this voltage is always present across the batteries it might not be a good thing on a long term basis, so what I have done is to put those quick disconnect knob terminals on my batteries.
If we are on shore power for just a couple of days, I leave the connected, but if I know we will be on shore power for a week or so, then after a day or so, I disconnect the batteries for the balance of our stay.
Anyone know if this is a worthwhile thing to do for longevity of my AGM batteries or am I just wasting my time?
My trailer is a 2005 classic 30, and the charger is the original "Parallax" that came with it. I'm not sure if that qualifies as what folk call a
"smart" charger of if is just of average IQ! I'm sure I have heard that there are better ones, but wasn't really thinking to change t until/unless it becomes defective.