Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
i see this on amazon for under $100

TMS 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool 11 Dies

I’m going to give one a try. Will let y’all know how it performs
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post

I ordered the $54 model - more to come
Old 03-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I got this one and it is not perfect for non metric sizes, but it gets the job done for less than $40. You just need to use quality lugs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0114QC3OY
Quote:
PENSON CAYQK007010 Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool, 9 Dies, 10 Ton
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I got this one and it is not perfect for non metric sizes, but it gets the job done for less than $40. You just need to use quality lugs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0114QC3OY

Hi, Wayne! What do you mean by "not perfect for non metric sizes"?
The dies state for 12 AWG thru 2/0. Are you saying those dies are not SAE?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
The dies in my kit are approximate for American AWG sizes, they are actually numbered in metric sizes.
I used the closest metric die set that was equal to or slightly smaller than what I needed.
I crimped it hard but not so hard it deformed the lug. Then I turned the lug 1/3rd a turn and crimped again to be sure the contact between wire & lug was as tight as possible.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
I ordered the $54 model - more to come
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. That is the one at the top of my list.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Found this crimper on ebay, the seller seems to have a very good rating. Looking at the jaw(?) it seems to have a very different arrangement than the other hexagon shaped hand held crimpers.
Wondering something like this will provide an air tight crimp?
That's basically a hammer crimp without the hammer. There's lots of variants to that system, some just sit in a vice and you whack it. It seems Airstream does this type of crimp.

Quote:
I’m going to give one a try. Will let y’all know how it performs
The Amazon version has dies in "square mm." There is a conversion chart to AWG. The Amazon's smallest dies are for 6 AWG wire up to 4/0 AWG or 300 mm2.
The problem with the Harbor Freight one at the same price is the dies are not any standard. At first they just put numbers on the dies, but when people complained, instead of making a standard, they just added "AWG" after the number. There's a die marked 7 AWG when there's no 7 AWG wire in the US. However, mechanically, the press seems to work fine.
The biggest complaint of the Amazon or HF hydraulic presses is the dies don't align perfectly so you can get "bunny ears" on a crimp. As someone noted, rotate the crimp 1/3 and crimp again.
Renting a crimper is just as expensive as buying one. It's how I get most of my tools, one at a time.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
....There's a die marked 7 AWG when there's no 7 AWG wire in the US. ...
Hi

Odd numbered wire gages are uncommon, but not impossible to find. Should you ever be in a *very* weight constrained situation (an aircraft is one example) the stuff is out there. Finding it at anything close to a rational price .... forget it. ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
So I gave the Harbor Freight crimping tool a test today. New eyelets on the battery cables. Overall very pleased. Well worth the cost for a non-professional tool that honestly will see only 20 or 30 use cycles in my lifetime.
Well packaged; clean and easy to operate. It does make flat rabbit ears so I took another’s recommendation and rotated each job to ensure a good crimp. First time around I didn’t get a good crimp and it was end user failure (my fault). A few photographs below
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	307621Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	307622Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	307623Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	307624
Old 04-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
So I gave the Harbor Freight crimping tool a test today. New eyelets on the battery cables. Overall very pleased. Well worth the cost for a non-professional tool that honestly will see only 20 or 30 use cycles in my lifetime.
Well packaged; clean and easy to operate. It does make flat rabbit ears so I took another’s recommendation and rotated each job to ensure a good crimp. First time around I didn’t get a good crimp and it was end user failure (my fault). A few photographs below
Attachment 307621Attachment 307622Attachment 307623Attachment 307624

I have no clue why the photos are duplicated. If an admin wants to delete the second set I would be appreciative.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Great Job! I see the heat shrink ready to go on.
I opted for the Amazon version because the dies were marked in some common fashion, in their case, mm2 (square mm). Both were about the same price, and maybe came down the same assembly line. I think the Amazon version has larger dies too. 6 AWG is as SMALL as it goes.
I'm impressed with your crimp.
When I took my batteries apart, I saw Airstream made battery cables using 6 AWG and a hammer crimp. (that's when you put a big dent in the terminal to compress it.) I thought I could do better even if I don't have the crimper from NASA.
Someday, I'll make a crimp and cut it in half to see if it's really a solid mass of copper.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Great Job! I see the heat shrink ready to go on.
I opted for the Amazon version because the dies were marked in some common fashion, in their case, mm2 (square mm). Both were about the same price, and maybe came down the same assembly line. I think the Amazon version has larger dies too. 6 AWG is as SMALL as it goes.
I'm impressed with your crimp.
When I took my batteries apart, I saw Airstream made battery cables using 6 AWG and a hammer crimp. (that's when you put a big dent in the terminal to compress it.) I thought I could do better even if I don't have the crimper from NASA.
Someday, I'll make a crimp and cut it in half to see if it's really a solid mass of copper.

Thanks. To me it’s what works. If I was going to do hundreds of crimps I would have sprung for a professional tool ... I figured this tool was just above a hammer crimp and below NASA.