Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Was at JC in Oct. with bad converter they would "NOT"upgrade.(2016 Trailer).They said it was Diff.size requiring diff. front panel for cabinet!!.Even offered$$$$ to do it.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Was at JC in Oct. with bad converter they would "NOT"upgrade.(2016 Trailer).They said it was Diff.size requiring diff. front panel for cabinet!!.Even offered$$$$ to do it.
I assume you are saying JC would not replace your bad converter with a multi-stage converter like the Parallel Dynamics, Boondocker, or their new WFCO multi-stage converter for "free" on your 2016? Did they replace your bad converter??

There are many converters, and some dealers do install a new mounting rack when they replace the OEM single stage converters with a multi-stage replacement converter as an upgrade. This does cost money typically. Some of us did this ourselves to save money. My friend just paid for the cost of the converter in his 2017 23, around $300~ and the dealer installed as he had bad converter. Did you talk with the warranty folks at AS?
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
They did replace with same oem model. However would not upgrade even if I paid ???
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #64
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
They did replace with same oem model. However would not upgrade even if I paid ???
Hi

The newer multistage converter is a different size than the older multistage converter. There is no "stock" cabinetry that puts the newer multistage into the older trailer.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I called my dealer service guys just now. For your 2016 26U, one of the "recommended" multi-stage converter replacements for the OEM single stage converter is the Progressive Dynamics 4600 for the 30 amp or the 9200 model for the 50 amp. AS dealer I talked with said with installation, it was about ~ $600 for the 30amp and $960 for the 50 amp, since there is more work involved including a mounting chassis, according to this tech. He said the 50A amp was a bit more work, thus the price difference.

I know your in IL, but perhaps you can discuss with your local AS dealer to confirm. and see what they would charge? ..hope this can help you.

The other option I would highly suggest is calling Randy at Bestconverter.com 888-828-1893. He helped many of us and can supply Progressive Dynamics models or Boondocker, or other multi-stage converters which will work, and also discuss your model AS mounting challenges. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The older multistage converter is essentially the same as the newer multistage converter. There are a *lot* of places you can buy other converters from. As you may have noticed, one particular outfit seems to have a cheering section that is devoted to spreading their name around. Consider the accuracy of the rest of what they say as you evaluate their recommendations ....

Bob
Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The older multistage converter is essentially the same as the newer multistage converter. There are a *lot* of places you can buy other converters from. As you may have noticed, one particular outfit seems to have a cheering section that is devoted to spreading their name around. Consider the accuracy of the rest of what they say as you evaluate their recommendations ....

Bob
Aside from your instance that the OEM single stage converters are "essentially the same" as newer multi-stage converters, you bring up a good point UB; I agree. Have you, UB, found any of "their" data to be inaccurate? If so, please do share...

FYI- received good replacement purchase/installation advice from AS service guys in Fairfield CA, AS factory in JC, and also from Randy at Bestconverter. Worked well for me and looks like many others also had a good experience. Today, you can find out a lot about reputation of a company on the Internet, if you care to look.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Testimonials_ep_19-1.html

But, if you know of any issues please share with us; that's what this Forum is for...helping each other out.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:17 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Aside from your instance that the OEM single stage converters are "essentially the same" as newer multi-stage converters, you bring up a good point UB; I agree. Have you, UB, found any of "their" data to be inaccurate? If so, please do share...

FYI- received good replacement purchase/installation advice from AS service guys in Fairfield CA, AS factory in JC, and also from Randy at Bestconverter. Worked well for me and looks like many others also had a good experience. Today, you can find out a lot about reputation of a company on the Internet, if you care to look.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Testimonials_ep_19-1.html

But, if you know of any issues please share with us; that's what this Forum is for...helping each other out.
Hi

The converters have been correctly described as multi stage by their manufacturers for years now. Thus that is *not* the issue. If it's the *only* point of distinction between the "greatest in the world" and "absolute junk" then ... then something is being missed.

Very simply put, there are other parameters involved in a charger. They can make some difference. If you focus on parameters that actually are the same between the chargers, you are completely missing the point.

Bob

Bob
Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Further update ...

OK, I hooked up the battery tender. It charged for most of a day, then switched to maintenance mode. Working as expected.

Still donít know what was at fault. Did the batteries have bad cells? Did the converter run amok?

Apparently there is no way to test the converter, at least at the DIY level.

Looked into a replacement, but for now Iím sticking with the stock charger.

Will be out camping in early February, and battery performance on that trip may settle the question.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote