Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by malligator View Post
I'd like to get back to the OP's questions, because I'm in the same predicament. We are picking up our GT25 next week (woohoo!!!) and, for whatever reason, Airstream has decided to not include batteries so we have to choose.

My assumption is because so many people opt to jump right to lithium so Airstream has decided not to waste time and money on AGM either for cost savings to them or convenience for the buyer.

So...the fundamental question is...when I pick-up my trailer can I buy lithiums without having to do any mods as indicated by Airstream's blog post? I don't want lead acids, and given the choice between AGM and LiFe I'd rather just go lithium and be done with it.

The issue is that Airstreams, as currently designed and built, aren't optimized for lithium. The three charging systems for the battery (all the way back to their sources) are shore power, TV, and solar (if equipped).

Shore power goes through the converter which can now supposedly handle any battery chemistry automatically. Can it? I don't know. I'm not sure what the new converter model is. Not that I don't trust Airstream, but I do plan to verify.

As delivered, the TV connects directly to the 12V bus through the 7-pin. As Richard explains above, that's not optimal for lithium. At best, you won't get much of a charge. At worst, you might damage the batteries.

As for solar, if the solar controller is still a Victron MPPT it can handle lithium just fine. You (or the dealer) has to change a few settings. No big deal so I don't consider this a mod.

So...you can have the dealer put in lithiums at delivery without mods IF...

1. The new converter can actually handle lithiums (either by auto-detect or manual configuration).
2. You follow Richard's advice above and learn to live with poor TV charging or disconnect it.
3. You change the solar controller's settings to lithium.

After that, you can do all sorts of mods to optimize for lithium (Multiplus, DC-DC converter, etc). Or...you can just have the dealer do them prior to delivery which is probably where the OP's $3010 quote comes in.

For us, if the three caveats above are met we plan to buy lithiums and defer the mods for myself (once I feel comfortable with the trailer) or for someone like AM Solar.
Hi

The "drill" on a new Airstream seems to be that you have them put the batteries in. You can't pull the trailer off the lot without batteries. The break away function will not work and that is illegal. One way or the other batteries have to go in before you drive off the lot.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sacramento , California
I would wait until Black Friday, I bought my Solar System and Battleborn batteries on sale. Inverter R Us usually has great sale then? The batteries come with 10 yr warranty and you don’t have to trickle charge them as offend .
dmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
We went with 2 lithium batteries from BattleBorn. And recently, we added 3 more and more solar. We do have a compression fridge and boondock from time to time. Even if we didn’t, I find it a peace of mind to know I can manage without hookups if forced to.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
I am a huge fan of the Battleborns myself, but if I were you I am getting some AGMs at best and then figure it out over time.

Changing from one type of battery chemistry went from something not easily done and possibly requiring changes to other systems 3 model years ago to either automatic or a manual switches (depending on AS model.)

Even if you feel like you need better non-shore power solutions because of an emergency, it won't do you that much more good without methods of charging either battery (solar, a generator, a "solar generator", both or all three) anyhow.

I did it because I almost never had shore power. If you almost aways do, I would save the money.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote