Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Valley Village , California
Question Batteries, Chargers, Inverters and Wire Size

I'm new to the forums and I've spent hours and hours just reading trying to figure everything out. I've never owned a trailer before so most of the how-to's are completely new to me. (I think I've read "electrical 101" over 1000 times... soooo useful!)

My intention is to live/work out of my trailer and I am going to "pimp my ride" from the ground up. I still can't decide about the floor replacement but I think everything else has to be upgraded. (It's pretty trashed and what isn't trashed is just icky to me). I'm trying to learn all I can before I start so I don't wish I had done something differently... when the walls were open for instance.

I have a ga-zillion questions and I need things explained to me in layman's terms... not too techie please.

Sooo... Here goes...
I don't really camp very much and when I do, I've always just used a tent, a cooler and a sleeping bag so I was originally thinking to just use "shore" power... I know... a big mistake! So, I've re-thunk (?) the idea. I think I've finally figured out battery vs. shore power but I'm trying to figure the best way to go about it for my needs.

I don't use microwaves and I don't use a drip coffee maker but I do have a laptop w/ multiple touchscreen monitors. I run everything off my laptop... work, movies, music, on-line television.... everything! I understand when I'm plugged in, it's not an issue but when I'm unleashed...

Will 2 - Trojan T-105's and a Xantrex Freedom HF 1000 Inverter-Charger do the trick if I run my laptop a few hours a day? I can turn off the multiple monitors and just use one. (I was also thinking to maybe add a solar panel in the future but that's another story.)

I don't need a converter too since the inverter has a charger do I?

Since it's not a pure sine wave inverter, will it damage my computer/monitors or will it just affect the quality while it is running off the inverter?

Is there any advantage to using circuit breakers instead of fuses? And for a really dumb question... I don't need both do I? They pretty much do the same thing, right?

I don't have a clue about wire size??? All the charts explaining it go over my head! If someone could just tell me the size I need (if it's one size fits the whole trailer), that would be great!

I'm not quite sure where to put everything. Does this type of battery have to go on the outside of the trailer? Can the inverter be on the opposite end of the trailer. Can they either one go next to the fresh water tanks? Can they be next to each other in the rear by the fuse panel/circuit breaker where the toilet is?

And lastly, I don't have an owner's manual. If anyone has one they could copy (1966 Tradewind... double, I think) I would pay you. Even if you just copy the electric, gas and plumbing pages.

And that's 'bout all I have to say 'bout that.
amalgamator is offline   Reply With Quote