Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Batteries are boiling

I have a 2015 flying Cloud, and we are on our 2nd set of batteries. They are boiling, and we suspect it is the Parallax Converter. The Airstream Service Dept is not interested in trouble shooting, rather they just want to replace the batteries again, and upgrade the converter without verifying the root cause of the over-charging of the batteries. We have an appointment with a servicer recommended by Parallax (not for a couple of weeks). Anyone else had a similar issue, and any ideas how we can get to the bottom of this?
dscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm not sure of the timeframe you are speaking of. Are they boiling when you are using the trailer or are they boiling when you have the trailer home and are not using it?

Unless I know otherwise, if you have a single stage charger/converter like most of us have, prolonged plug in time to your home power when the trailer is stored can boil the batteries. I've done it early in my ownership and I've learned to not keep my trailer plugged in while home and not in use.

On the road and while camping using campground power I've not had this problem. I assume that this isn't occurring due to 12 volt appliances and lights being used.

Assuming that the charger/converter is working within specs and it is a single stage unit, your only answer is to not leave the trailer constantly plugged into power when it is not being used, or consider replacing the charger/converter with a multi-staged smart unit. Those units will throttle down the charger to a trickle charge only that will maintain the battery once the battery reaches full charge, but will not boil it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We do not keep it plugged in at home other than overnight before leaving on a trip. The latest incident were brand new, sealed batteries. Within 4 hours of being plugged in to shore power, they were boiling. I had them in the "use" position at the time, then switched to "store" after the 4 hours and they cooled down.
Any idea why they are boiling, and so quickly?
dscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Can you measure the voltage directly across the battery terminals with a DVM while in the "Use" position and connected to shore power?
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscarlson View Post
. . .
The latest incident were brand new, sealed batteries.
. . .
So you upgraded to AGM sealed batteries? Are you sure your converter is correct for these batteries? My lay opinion is that your converter is not functioning correctly.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Are these lead acid batteries or some other type? Some styles of batteries may have issues with standard single stage chargers. I definitely would try to get a meter on your battery cables and see what kind of amperage you are seeing coming from that charger/converter.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Keep our AS on AC power all the time.. no issue... but we don't have stock converter...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote