Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Batteries and converters

I would like to install a second battery on my 2005 22 foot Safari LS. I was wondering how to mount it, and the best way to wire it with my other battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmst25
I would like to install a second battery on my 2005 22 foot Safari LS. I was wondering how to mount it, and the best way to wire it with my other battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Hi Matt,

IIRC, you have a single group 24 battery up front on the tongue. Problem is that when you add another battery, have potential charging challenges because both batteries are not of the same age and charge retention rate. This leads to uneven charging.

Basically, you need to either get a larger external box fabricated, or go with a sealed, vented box for the inside of the trailer as close to the existing battery as possible. You then connect them in parallel, or (+) to (+) and (-) to (-) with at least '0' AWG cables.

I would also change out your converter to a modern 3-stage unit that will keep your batteries much happier than with the stock converter.

While you're at it, why not look into AGM batteries. They do not out-gas like liquid cell batteries (the kind you have to fill) and last longer with better draw-down characteristics. Plus, they re-charge faster due to their lower internal resistance.

Now that I've probably thoroughly confused you.......try the search function for several of the many posts on selecting the proper batteries for your trailer.

If you can't find answers....just ask away!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If you don't have a proper battery compartment for a second battery, you will need to create one. Folks get all kinds of creative on this problem including using AGM's in unvented inside compartments which is contrary to code.

Easiest is to install another 12v battery just like the one you have and wire it in parallel. Some will try to give you a spiel about 6v in series and true deep cycle - see Configuration for some reality on these ideas.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Never mix old and new batteries, or batteries of a different type. Either of these conditions will cause improper charging, drain from one battery to the other, and premature battery failure. Not great on the charger either.

Best if you mount the batteries side by side avoiding long cables attaching the batteries together.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is there a reason you can't simply go get a plastic battery tray and cover, like in a boat, and put it on the tongue behind the LP tanks?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Is there a reason you can't simply go get a plastic battery tray and cover, like in a boat, and put it on the tongue behind the LP tanks?
Not at all as long as tongue weight is not an issue. I had a single 12v so mounted with such a box, sitting on framework, in a frame made of 3/4 inch angle. I took that loose, turned it 90 degrees, moved it to one side, made and installed another 3/4 inch angle framework next to it. Then installed two 6v Trojan 105s in plastic battery boxes with a hold-down for the whole works.
I also had to move the LP tanks about two inches forward.

Very careful measuring is needed to assure proper fit and clearance.

This setup has worked very well for us. Lots of battery power, no charging problems.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote