Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Batt tender use

I have just relocated (finally) to covered storage with SP. I have always brought the batts home where I kept them on a Batt Tender and to keep an eye on them.

My question revolves around maintaining the connections at the terminals and the store/use switch. My old strategy if I was using the TT in a week or two, would be to leave them installed and simply disc the neg post.

Do I simply connect the Batt Tender and turn off the store/use ( no need to power the TT except on a short term basis while there) or should I disconnect the neg (and pos) too.

Thx
Old 08-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
p.s. Just remembered I have the non smart charger in my power center (Parallax 7355)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Why not leave the trailer unplugged, and run an extension cord from the wall to the Battery tender?

I gave up on Battery Tenders after owning 5 of them, all failed while being connected in my garage. I understand Deltran has a 'lifetime guarantee', but there's a lot of "If's".
By the time you box up the unit and ship it to Deltran along with $10 you can almost buy a new one.
I switched to NoCo Genius 3500.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The best approach for batteries in storage is to disconnect them and leave them alone. A healthy battery will do fine for a very long time this way. If you are storing for years, then yes something else might be worth doing. Best bet then is to recharge them with a proper charger once a year.

You can disconnect by pulling a wire or two. You can also do it by putting in a disconnect switch or solenoid. The switch approach ( done DIY ) is roughly the same price as a trickle charger.

If your batteries are not in good shape, replace them. Costco will sell you a pair for < $200 ( and often much less than $200 ....). Just be sure to get deep cycle / RV batteries.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Why not leave the trailer unplugged, and run an extension cord from the wall to the Battery tender?

I gave up on Battery Tenders after owning 5 of them, all failed while being connected in my garage. I understand Deltran has a 'lifetime guarantee', but there's a lot of "If's".
By the time you box up the unit and ship it to Deltran along with $10 you can almost buy a new one.
I switched to NoCo Genius 3500.
My fault as I was not clear. I'm not connecting the TT to SP, only the Batt Tender via a 6' section of 12-3 SO ?? cord. Also have a C-Tek Multi Use US-3300, but like the simplicity of the BT. Maybe too simple

Since I'm connecting from a wall dupe to maybe a 6' section of 12-3 SO cord (if the batt charger cord won't reach) then to the battery charger to the battery terminals via either the O-rings or clips, if the store/use switch is off, do I need disc the neg (and pos) terminal of the battery? Seems redundant to disc the terminals if the Store/use switch is in the store position. Just wanted to double check.

I just want to keep it simple and prefer to not to have the TT powered up via the store/use switch when I'm not there.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I wouldn't disconnect batteries to use a trickle charger.
With the trailer unpowered, the converter is not feeding the batteries, and the use/store switch (The least understood unit in the Airstream) should be a fail safe.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
My fault as I was not clear.
That's the kinder gentler response.
Mine is usually something like, "You all are answering questions I didn't ask."
Old 08-05-2022, 04:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
MD, Personally I appreciate your responses on this forum. It's an open forum and I take it as much. It's all about reading between the lines...in both directions.

FWIW, great answer. Knowledge and reasoning.

happy trails
Old 08-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
My fault as I was not clear. I'm not connecting the TT to SP, only the Batt Tender via a 6' section of 12-3 SO ?? cord. Also have a C-Tek Multi Use US-3300, but like the simplicity of the BT. Maybe too simple

Since I'm connecting from a wall dupe to maybe a 6' section of 12-3 SO cord (if the batt charger cord won't reach) then to the battery charger to the battery terminals via either the O-rings or clips, if the store/use switch is off, do I need disc the neg (and pos) terminal of the battery? Seems redundant to disc the terminals if the Store/use switch is in the store position. Just wanted to double check.

I just want to keep it simple and prefer to not to have the TT powered up via the store/use switch when I'm not there.
If you have an inverter it may be connected directly to the batteries, so you will need to make sure it is turned off. An inverter can draw 1 amp while on and not doing anything.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks, no inverter but the radio, prop det and sub-woofer are parasitic draws if i don't disc the neg when not on sp.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks bob, always good advice. Historically brought them home, then on a c-tek for a couple of days then unplug. repeat about every 30 days. They're about 5 years old Dekas and holding up. likely will repeat with them, very pleased
Target next year as we rarely boondock except for the occasional WM stop.

Thinking the same process just in storage as it's nearby and easy to top off, disc, repeat depending usage.
happy trails

« Converter fan | Top | - »