Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,258
Batt charging advice asap?

I'm otr in CA and melted the SP connection. Likely some debris on/in the cord end not allowing for a good contact. Weather in mid 90's and running ac. Next am could not disconnect. New cord in hsnd, new as connection due tomorrow via amazon prime.

Running off coach batts and after 1st night, showed 12.46 on the meter.

I connected an 8 am charger directly to the battery, use switch is on. Just to conform this will not affect the powercenter since i have no SP and the charger is hooked directly to the terminal...diagonal posts connected. +/-.

Is this ok or a bad idea. This would allowme to keep the refer and refer fans running on 12cdc and gas. Part due tomorrow so this is a temp fix and don't want to run the batts down to low.
__________________
WashMoBob
CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,258
I realize there are only three wires, one bare copper but since this wiring is before the power center the residential black is hot, neutral (burned) white and the copper is ground.
__________________
WashMoBob
CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I'm otr in CA and melted the SP connection. Likely some debris on/in the cord end not allowing for a good contact. Weather in mid 90's and running ac. Next am could not disconnect. New cord in hsnd, new as connection due tomorrow via amazon prime.

Running off coach batts and after 1st night, showed 12.46 on the meter.

I connected an 8 am charger directly to the battery, use switch is on. Just to conform this will not affect the powercenter since i have no SP and the charger is hooked directly to the terminal...diagonal posts connected. +/-.

Is this ok or a bad idea. This would allowme to keep the refer and refer fans running on 12cdc and gas. Part due tomorrow so this is a temp fix and don't want to run the batts down to low.
Won't hurt anything. Same thing happens when you are driving with the battery switch on. Best to keep those batteries charged.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Won't hurt anything. Same thing happens when you are driving with the battery switch on. Best to keep those batteries charged.
Awesome Brian, thanks. The charger of our host isn't a smart type, so i'll an eye on it so as to not overcharge. Added my c-tek to the tool bag !ist.
__________________
WashMoBob
CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Awesome Brian, thanks. The charger of our host isn't a smart type, so i'll an eye on it so as to not overcharge. Added my c-tek to the tool bag !ist.
I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 amp charger used temporarily on batteries that are in use. Even if it's not a smart charger it will still ramp down as full charge approaches simply because the resistance of the batteries will increase and therefore pull less current. Maybe look at them in the AM and listen for boiling. If you see the charge needle getting down to 2 or 3 amps you are probably close to fully charged.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 amp charger used temporarily on batteries that are in use. Even if it's not a smart charger it will still ramp down as full charge approaches simply because the resistance of the batteries will increase and therefore pull less current. Maybe look at them in the AM and listen for boiling. If you see the charge needle getting down to 2 or 3 amps you are probably close to fully charged.

Brian, thank you for your advice and for my education. It is much appreciated. i wired a home i built but batteries and the 12vdc side has been a learning curve. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
WashMoBob
CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow vehicle batt vs Trailer Lithium batt while driving CaliBamb Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 3 05-27-2018 07:47 PM
Noob needs advice ASAP joe12pack Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 72 05-23-2015 12:20 AM
Need Advice ASAP please - Brake controller question LizGK Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 36 04-05-2014 02:21 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.