Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Batt charging advice asap?

I'm otr in CA and melted the SP connection. Likely some debris on/in the cord end not allowing for a good contact. Weather in mid 90's and running ac. Next am could not disconnect. New cord in hsnd, new as connection due tomorrow via amazon prime.

Running off coach batts and after 1st night, showed 12.46 on the meter.

I connected an 8 am charger directly to the battery, use switch is on. Just to conform this will not affect the powercenter since i have no SP and the charger is hooked directly to the terminal...diagonal posts connected. +/-.

Is this ok or a bad idea. This would allowme to keep the refer and refer fans running on 12cdc and gas. Part due tomorrow so this is a temp fix and don't want to run the batts down to low.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I realize there are only three wires, one bare copper but since this wiring is before the power center the residential black is hot, neutral (burned) white and the copper is ground.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I'm otr in CA and melted the SP connection. Likely some debris on/in the cord end not allowing for a good contact. Weather in mid 90's and running ac. Next am could not disconnect. New cord in hsnd, new as connection due tomorrow via amazon prime.

Running off coach batts and after 1st night, showed 12.46 on the meter.

I connected an 8 am charger directly to the battery, use switch is on. Just to conform this will not affect the powercenter since i have no SP and the charger is hooked directly to the terminal...diagonal posts connected. +/-.

Is this ok or a bad idea. This would allowme to keep the refer and refer fans running on 12cdc and gas. Part due tomorrow so this is a temp fix and don't want to run the batts down to low.
Won't hurt anything. Same thing happens when you are driving with the battery switch on. Best to keep those batteries charged.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Won't hurt anything. Same thing happens when you are driving with the battery switch on. Best to keep those batteries charged.
Awesome Brian, thanks. The charger of our host isn't a smart type, so i'll an eye on it so as to not overcharge. Added my c-tek to the tool bag !ist.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Awesome Brian, thanks. The charger of our host isn't a smart type, so i'll an eye on it so as to not overcharge. Added my c-tek to the tool bag !ist.
I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 amp charger used temporarily on batteries that are in use. Even if it's not a smart charger it will still ramp down as full charge approaches simply because the resistance of the batteries will increase and therefore pull less current. Maybe look at them in the AM and listen for boiling. If you see the charge needle getting down to 2 or 3 amps you are probably close to fully charged.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 amp charger used temporarily on batteries that are in use. Even if it's not a smart charger it will still ramp down as full charge approaches simply because the resistance of the batteries will increase and therefore pull less current. Maybe look at them in the AM and listen for boiling. If you see the charge needle getting down to 2 or 3 amps you are probably close to fully charged.

Brian, thank you for your advice and for my education. It is much appreciated. i wired a home i built but batteries and the 12vdc side has been a learning curve. Thanks for sharing.