Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Basic MPPT Diagnostics/troubleshooting

Thanks all,

I am looking for good FAQ or other resources on how Airstream places their MPPT into the overall solar -> battery -> charger setup.

I had a third panel (stock factory) added to my rig last week, as well as an AGM -> Battleborn update. During the install, I queried why the MPPT controller in the kitchenette area was offline and at the time was told it was from the service technician performing work. The Tech comments on the work order are "CC/CH Added jumper line on converter. Turned solar charger to lithium settings."

Yesterday, back at site, it's still offline and I believe I see a non-float/non-charge level on the upper battery monitor. I believe the MPPT to be out of the loop at this point, with no charge coming off the panels to the batteries.

I have a call to the service location; which naturally will be followed-up on Monday; but I'd rather spare myself driving eight hours return if the issue can be diagnosed and corrected on my own in thirty minutes. To do that however, I need a base education in where/how the MPPT could cease function as well as how it needs to be in place for full system operation.

As an avid boondocker, I also see the benefit of coming up to speed on the electric system as quickly as possible; to help with future in-field updates or corrections.

In addition, if anyone knows what impedance or voltage readings (as appropriate) I should be seeing at the near/far side of the connections of the device, it would also be appreciated to help with diagnostics.

Thanks for your time,

Ian Poulin
WBCCI 8118
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you have access to the MPPT controller, you can use a multimeter to check the incoming voltage. Voltage on the incoming side will vary with sun conditions and I assume that you should see voltage at or above 20v in full sun.

Almost sounds to me like there's a switch or breaker between the panels and the controller which has been left in the 'off' position. Do you have a display for the controller? If not and if you have Bluetooth, does it show in the app?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:38 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Do you have a Victron BlueSolar MPPT? It sounds like either the input to the solar MPPT or the output isn't connected. Can you put a volt meter on both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Thanks all,

I am looking for good FAQ or other resources on how Airstream places their MPPT into the overall solar -> battery -> charger setup.

I had a third panel (stock factory) added to my rig last week, as well as an AGM -> Battleborn update. During the install, I queried why the MPPT controller in the kitchenette area was offline and at the time was told it was from the service technician performing work. The Tech comments on the work order are "CC/CH Added jumper line on converter. Turned solar charger to lithium settings."

Yesterday, back at site, it's still offline and I believe I see a non-float/non-charge level on the upper battery monitor. I believe the MPPT to be out of the loop at this point, with no charge coming off the panels to the batteries.

I have a call to the service location; which naturally will be followed-up on Monday; but I'd rather spare myself driving eight hours return if the issue can be diagnosed and corrected on my own in thirty minutes. To do that however, I need a base education in where/how the MPPT could cease function as well as how it needs to be in place for full system operation.

As an avid boondocker, I also see the benefit of coming up to speed on the electric system as quickly as possible; to help with future in-field updates or corrections.

In addition, if anyone knows what impedance or voltage readings (as appropriate) I should be seeing at the near/far side of the connections of the device, it would also be appreciated to help with diagnostics.

Thanks for your time,

Ian Poulin
WBCCI 8118
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Just to close out this thread - I pulled up all the bedframing, and inside the rats nest of wiring, found that the Victron BT-700 monitor cable had pulled out - the MPPT was installed nicely and out of the way. 'nuff said, asked before I checked.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote