Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Virginia
We upgraded to two Battle Born 100Ah and a Progressive Dynamics Li charger in our 2016 26U FC. Battle Born was very helpful. They will give you part #s for the PD charger/converter and pictures of how to fit the batteries into the Airstream battery box. DJ Mastin of Broken Rivets in Ashland, VA did the work. We later added a Victron Bluetooth battery monitor. We donít worry about our batteries anymore with boondocking and running humidified CPAP.

Jeff
jcooper0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
Lithium batteries and cold weather

There seems to be an oft-repeated caution that Lithium batteries cannot be charged in cold weather. This is only partially correct.

If you have a Lithium battery with a BMS (Battery Management System), the BMS should manage the decision of whether to allow a charge current on the battery based on the temperature.

If you have a charge source, then you also have a heat source. That heat source could be integrated into the battery itself or it could simply be an external heater that brings the batteries up to a safe temperature at which to charge.

None of what I have written here is hypothetical. I have LiFeBlue Lithium batteries in my Airstream and have used them in extreme cold temperatures with no trouble because they have an integrated smart BMS - and they also have integrated heating pads.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Look at the victron converter/inverter.
It supports lion batteries very well
Along with the bmv712 and the colour monitor, the all talk and work well together.
Plus you can monitor all data from inet or your phone
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:30 PM   #24
The Joymobile

2011 22' Sport
MERIDEN , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
We choose SOK 100Ah 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery. We did this for several reasons.
  • Cost – The price of ALL lithium batteries in Canada are based on the US Dollar which means you add 35%. (Example: a Battleborn is $1000US = $1350CDN). The SOK is $620US – we purchased two = $1695CDN landed/delivered.
  • Design – Built-in Smart Battery Management System. 4000~8000 Cycles Life Span, Maintenance Free. Size 10.2″ 7.9″ 8.1″, 26 lbs. Detachable Cover, Replaceable BMS or Cells. Connect in series for 24V or 36V or 48V Battery Bank, or Connect in Parallel for Larger Capacity (2x100ah=200ah). 7 Years Warranty.
Wire Size was our next consideration. Research tells us that the standard 6 gauge battery wire used by RV manufactures including Airstream falls short of requirement. We would be looking at a 10% power loss. Based on distance traveled and amperage the battery wire specification reach was 2 gauge for this installation ($80).
Charger/Converter Upgrade. We have a IOTA multistage system at present. One of the unique design features with the IOTA system is the ability to upgrade (change out) the Smart Charge Controller unit from Lead Acid to Lithium ($35 upgrade).
Safety Circuit Breaker. Baomain ANL-80A Electrical Protection on the positive battery cable between the positive terminal and the kill switch ($11).
Miscellaneous. There will be the additional need for lugs, straps, screws, additional wiring, 1/2◊1 framing etc. ($25+-) This will be determined once we dismantle the Lounge area in Blue Streak and finalize the install plan …. stay tuned ��

If you want to read our journey to install go here married with airstream the-lithium-experiment-introduction/
Dr. Brick,

How did the SOK batteries work out for you? I am looking to upgrade and they are presently on backorder. They are new company and while Will Prowse (and others) speak favorably of them, would like to hear your experiences.

Also, noted from your blog that you have 200w solar on the roof. Curious to know if you're running your Champion generator a lot. When boondocking with a minimal amount of furnace fan use, we use about 60ah per day.

Dr. Joy
JeffofCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeltz View Post
The problem with Lithium is you cannot charge them below freezing or they will be destroyed, almost immediately. Two 6 volt AGM is way better (even better than 12 volt). Spend another week or so reading everything you can on this. If you never expect to be in freezing weather, they may be fine, but you are looking at $4000 plus (you need a different converter as well, I believe).
I might be mistaken, but I believe that battle born now offers a model with an integrated heating system inside of the battery case itself.

6 volt AGMís are great and my current configuration consists of 2 LifeLine units.

But moving to a lithium bank offers an order of magnitude improvement in capability ó I just donít see a compelling comparison between the two if the use scenario consists of extended of grid camping.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanlb View Post
I might be mistaken, but I believe that battle born now offers a model with an integrated heating system inside of the battery case itself.

6 volt AGMís are great and my current configuration consists of 2 LifeLine units.

But moving to a lithium bank offers an order of magnitude improvement in capability ó I just donít see a compelling comparison between the two if the use scenario consists of extended of grid camping.

You are correct, I bought one with the internal heating element. This does eliminate any real concerns with charging at low temps, and makes Lithium an even better option than lead acid.

Between the weight/footprint, amp hours available, much faster recharging, sustained voltage, cycles/lifespan, and reliability, I donít see ever buying a lead acid again. No negatives to Lithium, even considering the upfront cost.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #27
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Dspeltz, You are mistaken. Charging Lithium Batteries (like the Battle Born batteries) at temps below freezing will not “destroy them immediately”. The BMS (battery management system) included with each battery will prevent damage to the batteries when temps are out of range.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
...... No negatives to Lithium, even considering the upfront cost.
Hi

We have roughly 70 years of experience running Lead Acid batteries in Airstreams. That's a *lot* of data. It will be a long time before we have a comparable "database" on Lithiums. The biggest negative is still "what we may not (yet) know".

Yes, I have Lithiums in my AS and I would not go back to lead acids.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote