Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Bambi 19CB - What aftermarket smart-charger are you using?

I'm looking at replacing the charging system this fall to one of the several smart chargers so I dont cook/kill/murder/destroy/ my batteries while it sits plugged in to power at the house, or longer stays at campgrounds.

What charger are you using and can you give me a link/URL to it?

I don't want anything fancy. All I want is the replacement unit that fits in the factory compartment. I don't want any fancy LED readouts or external control boxes. And no higher output amperage stuff. Just the factory rated 30A system.

I have a couple brands in mind, but I want to know what the 'hive' is using in the smaller trailers like mine. I think I have a URL or two I can post in a few minutes of what I -think- I need.

Thanks as usual for suggestions ya'll provide!
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Progressive Dynamics PD4635V Inteli-Power 4600 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard - 35 Amp

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/

These are the ones I'm thinking fits my trailer, but I don't know for sure.

http://www.bestconverter.com/BD-1245...ent_p_521.html
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we replaced our battery with a lion battery
we added solar

we then updated with a few victron parts including the MPPT solar controller and the mutiplus inverter converter

we can now monitor system from on our phones or off the iNet

thisis our DC schematic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS22FB- schematic power DC-V7.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	346142  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I'm looking at replacing the charging system this fall to one of the several smart chargers so I dont cook/kill/murder/destroy/ my batteries while it sits plugged in to power at the house, or longer stays at campgrounds.

What charger are you using and can you give me a link/URL to it?

I don't want anything fancy. All I want is the replacement unit that fits in the factory compartment. I don't want any fancy LED readouts or external control boxes. And no higher output amperage stuff. Just the factory rated 30A system.

I have a couple brands in mind, but I want to know what the 'hive' is using in the smaller trailers like mine. I think I have a URL or two I can post in a few minutes of what I -think- I need.

Most people here have used bestconverter.com to get what they need. Randy will steer you right.
Larry

Thanks as usual for suggestions ya'll provide!
Many people here have used bestconverter.com; Randy will steer you right

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
As a follow up for information I have a WFCO WF-8955PEC-J 55A.

So I will need a 55A or better unit or rated replacement part upgrade. etc

For the boondocker series :

http://www.bestconverter.com/BD-1255...ent_p_522.html

This seems to be the upgrade I need for the smart-charger.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Many people here have used bestconverter.com; Randy will steer you right

Larry

I sent an email, asking what I needed to get the smart charger.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-se...its_c_133.html

I like the desulficate option the 4600 series upgrade kits have and I am leaning towards that option.

My main question is if this part is all I need. I was expecting to have to replace more than just this one component.

The problem I am having reading this website is I dont know what One I have to have. Other than the Lithium option that I dont need I'm not sure what the difference is between the MBA WILDKAT and the 655V because theres a 4 dollar difference in cost..........

But I think the 4655MBA Wildcat is the one I want..............Since I have a the WF 8955PEC factory installed.

I put an order in for the 4655MBA today. I think its the right one, and has a couple extra features that were worth the extra cash.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerMax-11...72.m2749.l2649

Works like a charm......never overheats the batteries, and if you are using the camper, and have everything turned on, it keeps it all going flawlessly.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerMax-11...72.m2749.l2649

Works like a charm......never overheats the batteries, and if you are using the camper, and have everything turned on, it keeps it all going flawlessly.

Well, yeah I'm sure that works fine, but I don't have anywhere to put that.

The unit I ordered replaces the one that is in the trailer now in the factory spot.

ETA!!!

OH! There was a notice put out recently by a couple of MFG of these units that people on amazon and ebay are selling counterfeit / fake copies of these electrical components.

Nothing purchased on AMAZON or EBAY will be covered by the warranty from progressive dynamics.

:: Its related to PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS:

Please Read: We have been notified by Progressive Dynamics, Inc. that many PDI converter products are being sold by unauthorized dealers on Amazon and auction type sites without serial numbers and not packaged in the correct boxes. Progressive Dynamics will not support warranty claims from products purchased on Amazon, Ebay or other similar auction sites. You can be assured from us that your PDI converter is packed in the original view pack box, and will have a serial number traceable back to Progressive Dynamics, Inc. If you have any questions, please contact PDI at 269-781-4241 Here is a link to Progressive Dynamics website and information about these unauthorized products. Progressive Dynamics Service Department

;;;;

Don't assume it's just one MFG being copied and sold fraudulently. I would confirm with the MFG of powermax that these are legit before buying.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Dumb question, I know

I have a new 2019 22' Sport and am wondering what the value is in replacing the smart charger? I am not an electrician, I do understand some of the basics.

Are you trying to extend the life of the batteries (I currently have 2 AGM batteries installed)? I do have factory installed 90 amp panel and am adding a 2nd 100 amp Zamp panel next week. We do quite a bit of boondocking, will this make a significant difference?

Thanks
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
The factory charge system will over charge and damage your expensive batteries over time. As well as any others, if left plugged in to shore power.

Your solar panel system likely has a built in smart change system that won't over charge the batteries.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
This is what my 2018 19CB Panel looks like factory, with the panel cover off. With the dust.

As I make the upgrade and install the new charger I will attach more pictures to this thread for those who may be wanting to do the same thing..

The lower chrome looking thing, is the item I will be replacing. There's three wires on the left, and two on the right that are the connections.

Theres really not much to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_183329_1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	346192  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tabernash , Colorado
Follow Up

Quote:
The factory charge system will over charge and damage your expensive batteries over time. As well as any others, if left plugged in to shore power.

Your solar panel system likely has a built in smart change system that won't over charge the batteries.
JJTX,

Again, I am not an electrician, and I am always looking to do an upgrade. But, have others had this experience where the factory system has damaged their battery? I infrequently have my camper plugged in other than during trips where we are plugged in. (Fewer than 30 days a year). Most often I have removed my batteries and have them on a tender.

This may be an upgrade I choose not to do. I will be watching this thread as you install yours with interest. Thanks for the details.
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You could put the trailer on a timer while it is plugged in. Charge for 1 hour per day.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post
JJTX,

Again, I am not an electrician, and I am always looking to do an upgrade. But, have others had this experience where the factory system has damaged their battery? I infrequently have my camper plugged in other than during trips where we are plugged in. (Fewer than 30 days a year). Most often I have removed my batteries and have them on a tender.

This may be an upgrade I choose not to do. I will be watching this thread as you install yours with interest. Thanks for the details.

I've never used my trailer with out shore power. So mine is connected all the time i use it plus at home. So that in my case will damage the batteries. We may do some camping off grid sometime but for now i need a charger that won't boil my batteries.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You could put the trailer on a timer while it is plugged in. Charge for 1 hour per day.
Right but I would have to buy a timer device whatever that would be.

We regularly go to places where I need A/C in TX. So being plugged in all the time is how it works mostly with us.

When we travel out of state not so much. But in TX, AC is on. Even in DEC.

The unit I ordered will arrive early next week, so I should have some photos to post mid-week.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Well, yeah I'm sure that works fine, but I don't have anywhere to put that.

The unit I ordered replaces the one that is in the trailer now in the factory spot.

ETA!!!

OH! There was a notice put out recently by a couple of MFG of these units that people on amazon and ebay are selling counterfeit / fake copies of these electrical components.

Nothing purchased on AMAZON or EBAY will be covered by the warranty from progressive dynamics.

:: Its related to PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS:

Please Read: We have been notified by Progressive Dynamics, Inc. that many PDI converter products are being sold by unauthorized dealers on Amazon and auction type sites without serial numbers and not packaged in the correct boxes. Progressive Dynamics will not support warranty claims from products purchased on Amazon, Ebay or other similar auction sites. You can be assured from us that your PDI converter is packed in the original view pack box, and will have a serial number traceable back to Progressive Dynamics, Inc. If you have any questions, please contact PDI at 269-781-4241 Here is a link to Progressive Dynamics website and information about these unauthorized products. Progressive Dynamics Service Department

;;;;

Don't assume it's just one MFG being copied and sold fraudulently. I would confirm with the MFG of powermax that these are legit before buying.
The unit is much smaller than the original unit from Airstream.....In my Airstream the converter goes under the bathroom sink, next to the water heater......completely out of sight. It is half the size of the original.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
The unit is much smaller than the original unit from Airstream.....In my Airstream the converter goes under the bathroom sink, next to the water heater......completely out of sight. It is half the size of the original.

Good deal.

My 19 has a lot less space to spare and this upgrade model fits in the factory location in the bottom part of the picture I posted.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I recently installed a Progressive Dynamics 4655VL 55 amp converter in my 2017 FC 19. The factory converter wasn't charging the battery and the fan was running all the time. On removing the faulty converter I noticed a component with three pins on it had broken off of the board. Anyway, I'm super pleased with the new converter. It was a lot easier to install than I thought.
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
I recently installed a Progressive Dynamics 4655VL 55 amp converter in my 2017 FC 19. The factory converter wasn't charging the battery and the fan was running all the time. On removing the faulty converter I noticed a component with three pins on it had broken off of the board. Anyway, I'm super pleased with the new converter. It was a lot easier to install than I thought.

Good to know. Looks pretty simple.