Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Air conditioner transfer switch

I am in Texas and we are having "rolling Black outs" some people been without power for days, but that's another thing

So I started looking at a way to hookup my generator to my furnace in my house, and found a video to do just that, https://youtu.be/wXIWD1r8kc4

But I also seen some place where a guy hooked a transfer switch to one of his AC
(Sob) and when he was on 30 amp he would hook the one AC up to the 15amp supply and the other to the 30amp, would this work? Any thoughts
5150mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Theoretically, it should work as long as the post is wired for a total of at least 45 amps...

I believe Camper Clinic II in Texas used to offer a second A/C installation that had a separate 20 amp plug.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

I believe you are asking if you can hookup your 120v generator to your home furnace.

Unless you are a licensed electrician (assuming you are not based on your question) the answer is stop, think about the unintended consequences, donít do it. (IMO)

Mixing 200-400A residential 240v panel and a separate single phase 120v source is not a trivial matter, no matter how simple it may look in a video or on paper.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I believe you are asking if you can hookup your 120v generator to your home furnace.

Unless you are a licensed electrician (assuming you are not based on your question) the answer is stop, think about the unintended consequences, donít do it. (IMO)

Mixing 200-400A residential 240v panel and a separate single phase 120v source is not a trivial matter, no matter how simple it may look in a video or on paper.
Listen to the raat.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Quakertown , Pennsylvania
Sigh...so tired of the "Must have a licensed professional" for every answer on the net mostly from people the feel unsure about it themselves. It's very possible to educate yourself and learn how to do things safely. Especially in times of emergencies. Yes this also means being responsible, another thing that's frowned apron these days. It used to be people like to share knowledge. It's fun to learn. You can save a ton of money and also become a better more rounded person because of it. In the process you also exercise freedom. Yep even that doesn't seam to be allowed anymore. Stay safe, keep asking questions and trying things. Those who do used to be called Renaissance men.
62rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Wiring in a single phase 120v source to a 240v dual phase panel is not trivial and should be done at the exterior of the home with a proper transfer switch, sub panel and wiring to code.

You will need city to disconnect your power while performing the work.

Thereís some advice to get started.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150mike View Post
I am in Texas and we are having "rolling Black outs" some people been without power for days, but that's another thing
Well at least all the Californians that have moved to Texas lately will feel right at home! Although, we prefer our blackouts when it's hot instead of cold.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62rosie View Post
Sigh...so tired of the "Must have a licensed professional" for every answer on the net mostly from people the feel unsure about it themselves. It's very possible to educate yourself and learn how to do things safely. Especially in times of emergencies. Yes this also means being responsible, another thing that's frowned apron these days. It used to be people like to share knowledge. It's fun to learn. You can save a ton of money and also become a better more rounded person because of it. In the process you also exercise freedom. Yep even that doesn't seam to be allowed anymore. Stay safe, keep asking questions and trying things. Those who do used to be called Renaissance men.
I don't think Wulfraat is discouraging anyone from learning or trying to learn things. But wiring in a generator in a safe manner can be a little complicated. No, its not brain surgery. And the OP made it sound like he was using a homemade device to run 120v into his house/main panel to power his furnace which would be an issue. I scanned through the video, and that's not what it was about.

It's also one of those things that CAN be done wrong and dangerous and not to code and still function. Lots of people still use back-feed plugs. At least a few people died in the south last week or so just from CO poisoning from generators.

I find the whole point of this forum the sharing of ideas and educating each other. But that also means sometimes people might say "that sounds a little sketchy, you may want to rethink that". Especially if it's something that could be dangerous.

I wouldn't call myself a Renaissance man...yet, but I'm always learning.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote