Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2023, 02:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
This shouldn't be news? We went thru this "argument" many times several years back...all the AS converter/chargers, pre-2018, were single stage. If you owned a 2017 or earlier model, and used the "stock" converter/charger that came with your AS, it was a WFCO single stage unit. It was/is "notorious" with AS owners of those years, for "over cooking" your batteries, if you left it plugged in. I and several others I know, went thru "brand new" Interstate 12V batteries, that were OEM supplied (from AS) with new AS's back then. First set on my 2014 25' went within first month. With my 2017 28', went inside 3 months. Each time, Interstate replaced for free and told me they had bad cells from being left on charger too long with no sensitivity to state of charge.

The Multi-Stage units (I have Boondocker from Bestconverter.com) can be left plugged in, and they will charge appropriate voltages, then revert to "tend" mode; will not overcharge/over cook your batteries; I have left plugged in 4 months at my place in Austin during winter, prior to winterizing; never an issue. If you have an older AS, (pre 2018) and have not had any issues...count your blessings!
I had a similar experience. 2017 AS with the single stage converter. After a replacement and they didn't last too long, I upgraded to a Bestconverter model and never had issues again. I also replaced the lead acid with the AGM and they have been going strong for 5+ years. I leave my AS plugged into shore power at home all the time with never any issues. happy camper
Old 02-01-2023, 03:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
This shouldn't be news? We went thru this "argument" many times several years back...all the AS converter/chargers, pre-2018, were single stage. If you owned a 2017 or earlier model, and used the "stock" converter/charger that came with your AS, it was a WFCO single stage unit. It was/is "notorious" with AS owners of those years, for "over cooking" your batteries, if you left it plugged in. I and several others I know, went thru "brand new" Interstate 12V batteries, that were OEM supplied (from AS) with new AS's back then. First set on my 2014 25' went within first month. With my 2017 28', went inside 3 months. Each time, Interstate replaced for free and told me they had bad cells from being left on charger too long with no sensitivity to state of charge.

The Multi-Stage units (I have Boondocker from Bestconverter.com) can be left plugged in, and they will charge appropriate voltages, then revert to "tend" mode; will not overcharge/over cook your batteries; I have left plugged in 4 months at my place in Austin during winter, prior to winterizing; never an issue. If you have an older AS, (pre 2018) and have not had any issues...count your blessings!
This does not explain why my 2008 left the factory with a 3-stage WFCO 8955.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I misquoted him? I did a Copy/Paste. The section on the Battery disconnect was much farther into the article and totally separate than the discussion of the converters. He even enclosed photos of the single stage vs. the three stage converters and the issues of swapping them.

I encourage anyone to read the link.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...28528-9999.pdf

I'll get back to my battery.
OK,, my bad… I now see where I missed that first comment on page 1. Sincere apology.

But this still doesn’t explain the 3 stage WFCO my 2008 came with from the factory….with a front batt switch …mechanical…NOT solenoid as he states.

(Unless it left the dealer-lot modified from a single-stage…?? I suppose the original owner could have ordered it that way from the dealer..??)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #24
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
I wonder if airstream used different converters on some models and or 30 / 50 amp service?
My 2017 23D had a WFCO 8955 three stage unit, I was concerned after reading about fried battery's so called WFCO with the model and serial #s, they confirmed it was a three stage unit.
You could do the same, call the manufacturer with the model number and see what they say.
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I swear by the Lifeline AGM. I got 10 years out of the first pair and am going on year 3 with the second pair. I have a Parallax 7455 55 amp converter.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:50 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RXLA View Post
I swear by the Lifeline AGM. I got 10 years out of the first pair and am going on year 3 with the second pair. I have a Parallax 7455 55 amp converter.
You sir are a lucky man.
The P-lax 7455 is an unfettered beast of a converter, it ruined a lot of batts in it's day, 2 sets in the first year on 'Cloudsplitter'.
You do NOT leave it unattended.
In fact it's replacement was the first 'upgrade' we did.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As I recall, my parallax came out on day 5 after buying my 2007.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post
I wonder if airstream used different converters on some models and or 30 / 50 amp service?

My 2017 23D had a WFCO 8955 three stage unit, I was concerned after reading about fried battery's so called WFCO with the model and serial #s, they confirmed it was a three stage unit.

You could do the same, call the manufacturer with the model number and see what they say.

My 2017 delivered with the 3 stage
WF 8955PEC, it may have been equipped with solar equipped units, although that’s a guess, but mine was.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
This does not explain why my 2008 left the factory with a 3-stage WFCO 8955.
Yea, you surely got a "one off" somehow? I would call and complain! My understanding is WFCO/ Airstream did not offer multistage units until 2018 model year. Not sure WFCO had a multistage unit back then, but their newer units are 3 stage with Li detection also. Did you buy your 08 AS new??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Yea, you surely got a "one off" somehow? I would call and complain! My understanding is WFCO/ Airstream did not offer multistage units until 2018 model year. Not sure WFCO had a multistage unit back then, but their newer units are 3 stage with Li detection also. Did you buy your 08 AS new??
No, I did not buy it new…BUT…the PO gave me all the paperwork, which included an early Warranty-Claim on the converter and the invoice/repair-order shows “removed WFCO and replaced with same”. this was in 2009. I replaced it again in 2018. What came out was an 8955 which is what I replaced it with.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I guess I was lucky. Back in 2010 when I inherited the trailer I took it to Inland RV In Corona (Andy Rogozinski was still running it) and they replaced the axles, converted the vacuum disc brakes to electric/hydraulic and replaced the original battery cooker univolt with the Parallax. Andy said that was what Airstream was using at the factory at that time. I think it must have a float charging feature since the AGMs are lasting. When the Parallax fails I’ll go with a three stage converter.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:25 AM   #32
Terra Nova Photography

2007 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Maintenance free flooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Since my old Interstate gp. 24 are due for replacement, and Interstate batteries went the way of the Passenger Pigeon, (Bought by Clarion/Brookfield Canadian investment group.) I've been down the battery rabbit hole.
I want to replace my trusty Interstates with another battery, not lithium.
So, it appears the Die Hard Gold is a flooded lead acid deep cycle while the Die Hard Platinum is a AGM battery, somewhat more pricey but not off the charts. The form factor is the same Group 24 I have now.
I hear AGM's don't do well freezing, but I'm in Florida.
Can I use the AGM with my old single stage charger? (My current [/pun] batteries lasted 6 years, so I'm pretty cautious about charging. I may add a solar suitcase, no more.
The plan is to pull the old batteries and drop in the new, same "great" wiring by me.

What say you?
At a battery specialty store here in San Diego I found maintenance free flooded batteries. I was able to get the lower price of flooded without having to worry about constantly replenishing the water. That battery box is in probably the most inconvenient place unless you remove the propane cover and tanks.
BobCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Orientation

Make sure any battery you install in an interstate can be completely sealed as they are tipped on their sides during installation
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote