Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2023, 07:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
AGM to BB Lithium on a 2023 Flying Cloud?

Hi, pretty sure i've already toasted my AGM batteries on our 2023 Flying Cloud (solar option) and am switching to heated Battle Born Lithium batteries.

I am looking for some confirmation that the converters on the 2023 model year automatically recognize the lithium batteries and will regulate its integration with the new batteries on its own. Plug and play?

The person handling our delivery indicated that some 2023's have equipment requiring a switch to be thrown, but most supplied don't have that requirement any longer. Ours was the later.

(not sure on my "converter" terminology)
BHage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Panhandle , Florida
Post the size and model of TT and a pic of the converter. The front of my converter has the make and model number. With that, someone on here will be able to help you.
jlt220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:55 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
From Airstream Website

Model Year 2023 Update
New for model year 2023 is the option for customers to choose their own house batteries at the dealership upon delivery.

Note: The Classic and Pottery Barn Special Edition model come standard with lithium batteries). The REI Co-op Special Edition Basecamp includes lithium batteries with the upgraded solar package.

Battery Flexibility
This update provides flexibility which enables each Airstreamer to choose the best battery chemistry for their specific need. Planning to stay at campgrounds that offer shore power? Lead acid or AGM batteries will be perfect. Looking to venture away from the grid and need more battery capacity? High-performance deep cycle lithium-ion batteries are your go-to. With this update, we’ve upgraded to a multi-stage auto-detecting power converter, making it seamless to drop-in different batteries (by chemistry) and doesn’t require any physical changes for the power system to adjust.
BHage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
West Olive , Michigan
I’m in the same arena… going to sell my AGM batteries and purchase the heated BattleBorn LiFEPO4 batteries. I have a 2023 FC that I’m picking up this week… weather pending.
Spartanfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:15 PM   #5
Retired Bubblehead

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Just a quick note to say "Congratulations" on your and BHage's new Flying Cloud 25s. You might consider having the dealer install the lithium batteries for you. A friend who bought a Globetrotter 27 last year strongly recommended we try to negotiate the lithium batteries when we got our FC and we were successful in getting a discount. Good luck!

Embrace the pandemonium, keep calm, and carry on!
Rey.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
The WFCO Converter will have a suffix of -AD- in its model number if it is designed to sense lithium batteries.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t take advantage of having just such a newer WFCO converter in our 2023 International 23FBT as my life is more complicated.

1. I would need a larger inverter (which begat #2)
2. I would need more batteries / amp hours than would fit in the existing battery box (which begat #3)
3. I would need a shunt to monitor available Amp Hours / SOC

I ended up with 400 Ah of lithium batteries, a 3000 watt inverter charger, a smart shunt, an empty battery box and an empty wallet. But, my wife is happy, so — so am I.

I’ve met a few people at rallies with the newer WFCO converter who have just swapped their 2 AGMs for 2 Lithium and are very happy, and I have read where others have had issues.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Texas
My Experience with the WFCO auto adjust to Lithium

2023 Flying Cloud. I had two 100 BB batteries from the dealer. The WFCO 8955 is supposed to adjust to the lithium automatically, if you do the following: Drain the lithium batteries to below 12v with no 110v connected and then the WFCO will detect the batteries and set itself to lithium once you reconnect to shore power . Good in theory. Ours either would never register the change or would not hold the change as no blue light was ever present (which shows lithium charging). I am replacing my WFCO with progressive dynamics 4655 which is made for lithium. Per the WFCO tech advisor "you may need to send it in for a soft ware update".
Escape21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #8
Fata Morgana

2023 30' Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
2018 26' Flying Cloud
Zeeland , Michigan
Battleborn versus SOK lithium batteries

I had researched lithium batteries extensively before deciding on SOK vs BB for the following MAIN reasons:
1) The SOK is definitely a better built battery. This is based on a number of reviews written by electrical engineers/experts. The SOK battery case is not plastic like the BB but rather is metal. This allows you to be able to open the SOK case and replace any individual cell if that unlikely necessity were ever to occur.The BB case cannot be opened and none of the cells could ever be replaced if ever needed.
2) Most cheaper to buy the SOK. It cost me $2,200 for 412 Ah (includes being heated and Bluetooth) while 400Ah BB would have been well over $3,000.
3) I would have to buy 4 of the 100Ah BB to match 2 of the 206Ah SOK. In addition those 4 BB what have taken up way too much room inside my Airstream. I installed the 2 SOK inside my front storage locker directly behind the battery box; plus 4 BB would have weight significantly more than the 2 SOK.
4) The SOK owners who have posted on this website have all been very pleased with the SOK performance as have I.

Mark F
tusocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
I don't have either SOK or Battle Born batteries, so I don't have a dog in the fight between the two. Battle Born is a premium battery with very good customer support. SOK is well received on the DIY Solar Forum. If I was buying off-the-shelf batteries, between those two I would lean toward the SOK, simply based on bang for the buck.

The first point I would like to make is about battery warming. Most of the built-in warming solutions will warm only when a charge current is available. Should the battery's temperature go below the Low Temperature Disconnect, you'll have to wait for the sun to come, warm the battery above that threshold and then you'll get charge current going into the battery.

If the battery is very cold, you could be waiting a couple of hours before it gets a charge.

The second point is that many of the "Lithium" converters aren't optimal. They don't provide an ideal charge profile. If you've got campground queen, the concern is ensuring you're not overcharging LiFePO4. If you're boondocking and using a generator then you want a converter that charges as quickly as possible and most of them simply don't. A converter that is programmable is, in my opinion, a better way to go.

I had an IOTA Engineering DLS-45 with the IQ4/LiFePO4 module. It was a safe converter. It wouldn't overcharge, but it just didn't charge very fast. I don't think I ever saw a full 45 amp charge.
2019 Nissan Leaf SV+
HRTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
I had never heard of SOK. I like the metal cases and the vertical format of the 206AmpHr models. Seem to be another solid choice.

We have 4 Renogy Smart Lithium 100AmpHr batteries in our 2022. The WFCO panel autodetects any battery type. Our model is the WF-8955-AD-J-WAGO. I spoke to WFCO and they confirmed the "AD" means autodetect and it works with any battery - as others have noted.

We have a season in and so far the whole system has worked well, both with the solar panels and shore power charging the batteries. We have 3 90 watt panels and if there is sun, the batteries stay charged - even with the electric only fridge running.

I really like the feature of bluetooth on the batteries and solar controller - you can see exactly what is going on with the state of charge, charge to the batteries, etc.

The one issue we had with the Renogy is that our battery box, in a heavy storm while driving, let some moisture in where the bluetooth cable plugs in and it caused the power to flicker. I fixed the box to be waterproof and it is fine now.

Another factor in deciding on batteries is the cell type. I like this site for an overview. https://www.dnkpower.com/cylindrical...ion-batteries/

Renogys use pouch and prismatic cells.
Battleborns use cylindrical I believe.
Not sure what cells SOK uses.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote