Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Braunfels , Texas
AGM Optima

We have a 2019 FC 25th FB. We upgraded last year to AGM Optima $600.00 to replace our lead acid factory batteries. We were told by our dealer that the batteries could be switched out lead acid for AGM with no other upgrades. We had a lot of other warranty work done on the trailer and it sat at the dealer for 4 months. When we picked it up they told us the batteries had been charged and were just fine and holding a charge. We took the trailer this weekend for a test run and we had it plugged into shore power for 3days and everything worked fine. This morning getting ready to leave, I unplugged the shore power and back my TV to hook, pressed the electric jack, no power...no reading on the panel inside the trailer. Plugged the trailer into my TV and got power to hitch up and the panel read 10.2. My question is are the batteries dead(still under warranty), should three days of shore power been enough to sufficiently recharge the batteries? Thanks so much
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My guess is that the dealer let your trailer sit for months with no power and the batteries drained and they are damaged. Have them tested and replaced. I am not an Optima fan, I prefer Lifeline AGMs.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Three days is long enough to charge your batteries a few times.

I think Richard has the most likely explanation.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:31 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtom View Post
We have a 2019 FC 25th FB. We upgraded last year to AGM Optima $600.00 to replace our lead acid factory batteries. We were told by our dealer that the batteries could be switched out lead acid for AGM with no other upgrades. We had a lot of other warranty work done on the trailer and it sat at the dealer for 4 months. When we picked it up they told us the batteries had been charged and were just fine and holding a charge. We took the trailer this weekend for a test run and we had it plugged into shore power for 3days and everything worked fine. This morning getting ready to leave, I unplugged the shore power and back my TV to hook, pressed the electric jack, no power...no reading on the panel inside the trailer. Plugged the trailer into my TV and got power to hitch up and the panel read 10.2. My question is are the batteries dead(still under warranty), should three days of shore power been enough to sufficiently recharge the batteries? Thanks so much
They are discharged for sure, they may or may not be serviceable.
Ideally they need to be removed, fully charged 8-10hrs, rested for 2hrs and tested.

If the converter is working properly 3days is plenty.

First, ck the circuit breakers, and make sure the fuse on the converter is good.

Which Optima? The most often used is only 85ah and not the best choice for an RV application. The cylindrical cell configuration wastes a lot of space lowering capacity.

Bob
🇺🇸