Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
two more cents: I did power wheelchairs and scooters for 15 years-retired. I converted to all sealed batteries (agm) because public transportation did NOT allow lead acid batteries on board due to the HYDROGEN gas given off that could cause explosion.Keep them vented to the outside. Keep the batteries in a battery box!! Also the going up and down ramps and hill can cause spilling. Good reason for AGM's Another was the didcharge sin wave (not applicable to trailers) was taht the discharge was fllatter in the agm and did not affect the computers of the wheelchairs.
One has to USE the batteries, the more aned harder they are used, the longer they would last. 2-3 years. if use in the house 1 or 2 times a day, maybe 1-2 years. think of boondocking.
charging- all of the newer chairs came with the fractional chargers; this too 110 and gave small bursts of electricity to charge the batts and took about 8 hours to charge a 80% discharged batt.
This is another use for the batteries and could food for thought for your camper.
aand yes they do cost more.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I converted to all sealed batteries (agm) because public transportation did NOT allow lead acid batteries on board due to the HYDROGEN gas given off that could cause explosion...
'tandem...

agms ARE lead acid batteries and they CAN vent battery gases and DO that occasionally.

the water is ABSORBED into a GLASS MATRIX/mat, instead of a freely floating POOL of water, but they still have water inside.

it's true they don't SPILL water and can tolerate positions that FLOODED LA batteries cannot.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
... there are many warnings on various threads an AGM must have a 3 stage charger...
not from ne1 USING agms. unless they are just repeating vendor babble...

need examples of vendor babble echo on any of a dozen parts issues ?

Quote:
...that leads me to wonder whether an AGM is more sensitive to overcharging...
CONTINOUSLY PLUGGED IN (as in for weeks and weeks) without a 12v draw there can be issues in HOT weather.

and simply left on LOW voltage trickle charging for weeks n weeks in COLD weather the batteries can be chronically UNDER charged.

Quote:
...So, is it absolutely necessary to have a 3 stage charger before converting to AGM's, or do you just have to be more (or the same) careful?...
clearly it is NOT "absolutely necessary" and in many ways one can be LESS CAREFUL with agms since monitoring electrolyte levels isn't done

AND the agms can accept higher BULK charge voltage without boiling or overheating.

so the notion of 'careful' is STILL a part of owning/using agms, but the parameters 2b 'careful' about shift.

a/s has been supplying agms with the solar package and p-lax C/C for a long time.

while they aren't rocket scientists, they have thunk this out.

MOST of the p-lax bashing here is akin to the gym tire bashing.

with the same NON-DATA to support the failures and fueled by an occasional vendor supplying incomplete technical info...

then a few folks showntell their aftermarket upgrades (which may NOT be upgrades) and how LIFE is so much better post oem.

and the "i need one of THOSE, my oem is crap" syndrome hits...

without ANY real understanding of the primary issues (b.bank size, pv panel size, wiring needs and EXPECTED usage n storage style)

we tend to believe that changing a part of to something with a few more features, means THINKING LESS about the issue...

when most of the time it just means ADDING new issues to think about, understand and monitor.

it is the WACK A MOLE game played with money and parts...

and as i teased about new C/C coming (which u found), unless the oem p-lax DIES today,

there is no need to tear it OUT a few weeks before the trayla goes into hybernation.

Quote:
...Is a smart charger the same as a 3 stage charger? ...
basically NO and explained elsewhere, but the term is often misused to confuse...

'smart' relates to add ons that can exercise the battery while in storage and reduce the risk of sulfation...

also explained in other threads.

br' has given u ALL the essential info WITHOUT vendor hype. your task is to really understand each TERM used in the explanation.

and most of the terms have good explanations recorded here already.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks 2air. That's a lot clearer.

I'm trying to get answers about the interaction between solar and converter charging systems, but that's even more off topic than even I may be able to tolerate.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
...I'm trying to get answers about the interaction between solar and converter charging systems...

the wiring FROM the pv panels comes INTO a separate charge controller gizmo...

it is NOT a 3 stage charger (the red/yellow/green lights are LEVEL indicators)

the unit a/s uses is VERY BASIC and does NOT include mppt technology...

but not everyone NEEDS mppt, again it depends on panel size, b bank and usage.

here is a picture of the gizmo (it is NOT made by zettler)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/439986-post6.html

the gizmo maker changed owners and is back in biz, they've got a website and tech support too.

the key is it's a 25 AMP unit matched to the panel output MAX.

go read in this section...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/

the 'sticky' there is a nice idea but FULL of incorrect or misleading info on the factory system or customized upgrades.

stickies imo SHOULD be concise, edited, accurate and NOT vary from the focused topic, then CLOSED to new posts...

so instead use the LONG list of threads in gen/solar...

RANK the threads by replies or views and READ the bigger threads in the section...

or use any of the most reliable vendor sites for detailed info and MORE confusion....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have an aftermarket solar system with a 3 stage charger that was installed by the dealer. I'll look up the name later, maybe much later. I haven't traced the wiring and I doubt it is temperature sensitive. It works well so long as I remember not to park under a tree.

It does have the pretty green/yellow/red lamps and a voltage read out which reads the same thing as the lamps. I think it's 96 watts.

Gene

Gene
Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
I have an aftermarket solar system...
and how many planets were included in the deal, did u get the FULL gravity edition ?

u may wanna channel carl sagen for help with that or his earthly voice, artstream...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tem-38227.html

cheers
2air'

Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Everyone should look at the Deka battery, they are offered in Flooded, GEL and AGM. I have them in my bass boat and they are great....plus they are USA made.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
and how many planets were included in the deal, did u get the FULL gravity edition ?
Pluto is still a planet in mine and strangely, Kansas is missing, though I believe it may be in Uranus.

Gene
Old 10-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Pluto is still a planet in mine and strangely, Kansas is missing, though I believe it may be in Uranus.Gene
Gene, Abbott

2air, Costello

all around.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Who's on first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gene, Abbott

2air, Costello

all around.
Not sure how to take that—I always got those 2 guys mixed up. I hope 2air is the short, fat one.

Gene