Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Advice on new batteries.

Hi. I bought a used 2017 Flying Cloud last year. I need to replace the batteries - not ready to upgrade to Solar at this point. But asking here for some advice on decent replacement batteries. (Solar system wonít be in budget for a year or so, unfortunately).
Muntjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muntjac View Post
Hi. I bought a used 2017 Flying Cloud last year. I need to replace the batteries - not ready to upgrade to Solar at this point. But asking here for some advice on decent replacement batteries. (Solar system wonít be in budget for a year or so, unfortunately).
Hi Muntjac, lots of discussions here on batteries. Have you tried the search feature just above the posts? Just put in something like "replacement batteries" and you'll get a lot of links.

You should also search on battery care as well; charging, maintaining, types of batteries, etc.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have budget constraints: Head over to Costco and see what they have on sale this month. You want a deep cycle RV battery. They normally have *something* on sale or soon to be on sale in the $70 to $80 range. It's purely a cost thing, brand does not matter. If they last for a couple years, you did fine.

Longer term, as the budget allows, people will be going to lithium if they run on batteries much. The prices of various lithiums have pretty much eliminated any "bang for the buck" in the AGM world. Indeed they make fancy lead acid's questionable as well.

Are there some niche areas that this or that will continue on? Sure. If you camp out full time in weather that's below 20F all day / all night *and* depend on batteries ... lithiums are not a great thing. Indeed, any battery is not a super idea in those conditions. Indeed, an AS is not a super idea in these conditions ....

Once you get the budget to the point you are looking at solar, lithium may come along for the ride. With the cheap-o batteries, retiring them in a year or three is not that big a hit.

Basic math:

Two 80AH batteries from Costco $160. Gives you 80AH usable capacity.

Cheap lithium plus converter $700. Gives you 100AH usable capacity.

Two cheap lithiums plus converter $1,200. Gives you 200AH usable capacity.

Two Lifeline GPL-27 AGM's at $350 each, $700. Gives you 100AH usable capacity.

Lithiums likely last 4X longer than lead acids. They also charge *much* faster. BMS protects them from various damage. No water levels to check or fuss with. Much lighter weight. Lots of little side benefits. It's not just about capacity.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Hi Muntjac, lots of discussions here on batteries. Have you tried the search feature just above the posts? Just put in something like "replacement batteries" and you'll get a lot of links.

You should also search on battery care as well; charging, maintaining, types of batteries, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you have budget constraints: Head over to Costco and see what they have on sale this month. You want a deep cycle RV battery. They normally have *something* on sale or soon to be on sale in the $70 to $80 range. It's purely a cost thing, brand does not matter. If they last for a couple years, you did fine.

Longer term, as the budget allows, people will be going to lithium if they run on batteries much. The prices of various lithiums have pretty much eliminated any "bang for the buck" in the AGM world. Indeed they make fancy lead acid's questionable as well.

Are there some niche areas that this or that will continue on? Sure. If you camp out full time in weather that's below 20F all day / all night *and* depend on batteries ... lithiums are not a great thing. Indeed, any battery is not a super idea in those conditions. Indeed, an AS is not a super idea in these conditions ....

Once you get the budget to the point you are looking at solar, lithium may come along for the ride. With the cheap-o batteries, retiring them in a year or three is not that big a hit.

Basic math:

Lithiums likely last 4X longer than lead acids. They also charge *much* faster. BMS protects them from various damage. No water levels to check or fuss with. Much lighter weight. Lots of little side benefits. It's not just about capacity.

Bob

This is so helpful - thanks so muchÖ.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The biggest factor is how you are going to use the trailer.
If you will only be camping with electric hookups cheap ones from Costco are all you will need.
If you will be camping without hookups a lot then you start getting into solar and lithium batteries.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
So I bought interstate wet cell in 2018. The original batteries were toast after a year due to the AS being on the lot and dealer letting the batteries run down. My new batteries have lasted me 4 years; no problems. Care for them and they will care for you.

So lithiums are nice, and yes they will last me 4X longer, but the cost is considerably more. Not sure I will have the AS 16 years. Yes it would be nice for boondocking. But I have a generator that I can use. And I seldom boondock.

So I agree with the last post.

My next batteries will probably be AGMs only because I don’t have to watch the water. If I get 8 years out of them, I’m good. And you can get pretty good AGMs for about $400. Don’t have to spend $700 on Lifelines.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Yep Costco interstates are the best bargain. Check water level and charge completly before installing and may get up to 5 years.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
So I bought interstate wet cell in 2018. The original batteries were toast after a year due to the AS being on the lot and dealer letting the batteries run down. My new batteries have lasted me 4 years; no problems. Care for them and they will care for you.

So lithiums are nice, and yes they will last me 4X longer, but the cost is considerably more. Not sure I will have the AS 16 years. Yes it would be nice for boondocking. But I have a generator that I can use. And I seldom boondock.

So I agree with the last post.

My next batteries will probably be AGMs only because I donít have to watch the water. If I get 8 years out of them, Iím good. And you can get pretty good AGMs for about $400. Donít have to spend $700 on Lifelines.
Hi

Right now you can get the same capacity lithium for $500 compared to low end AGM's at (maybe) $400. I'd bet the stock converter in the trailer will need to be replaced anyway .....

Bob
Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Basic math:

Bob
The lifeline GPL27T each has 100AH. That means if you are using two, you should have 200AH usable capacity. Am I missing something?

Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You donít want to discharge AGM batteries below 50% so with two 100ah Lifelines, you have 100 amps useable.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
You donít want to discharge AGM batteries below 50% so with two 100ah Lifelines, you have 100 amps useable.
Ah. Thank you. I learn something new every day!
Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
And, since lithium batteries can be discharged to 10% or less without adverse effects, with 200 amps of rated power you have 180+ usable amps.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How far you can discharge lithiums is very much a "that depends" sort of thing. The practical answer is that the BMS stops you at some point. Past that point, you get nothing out. Does this mean that you can only get 90AH out of your 100AH batteries? Does it mean that your 100AH batteries are "really" 110 AH? That depends a lot on just who made the batteries and how they set up the BMS.

Even coming up with a magic voltage on LiFePO4's is not simple. There are subtly different ways to make the cells. Some cut off at one voltage, others seem to be happy over a different range.

Simple answer is to check with the manufacturer who is supplying your 10 year warranty. If they are ok with discharge to the point the BMS cuts off, I'd suggest that is a pretty good sign.

Bob