Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2020 25' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 9
750ma Battery Tender Question

I just replaced my batteries and I would like to put a trickle charger on them to prevent them from quickly draining (again). Couple of questions for all the experts out there. I already have a Battery Tender 750ma charger that I used with my motorcycle. I would like to leave the Battery Tender quick connect wires permanently attached to the batteries for easy attachment.

Would that 750ma be enough to keep the batteries charged on my 2020 25’ Flying Cloud? Also, would it be okay to leave the batteries connected “as-is” in the AS battery box and just hook the Battery Tender to them… much like you would a car? I don’t think hooking a battery tender up to them would hurt any existing connected wiring / components in the AS but I just want to check first.

BTW… Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.
Larry_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,300
A 750 mA charger will work pretty well. With the switch in store I have about 200 mA in parasitic load and about 400-700 in the Use position, nothing on. If you have wet cells in store mode, it will consume a small amount of water so you will want to check level once a month.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,478
Images: 1
750ma Battery Tender Question

I use a batteryMinder for my cars lead acid and run it at 4amps. The batteries will take the current they want. The lowest setting on my unit is 2amps. BatteryMinder is great product.

Make sure to buy one with a desulfate feature...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,704
Mine is 4 amps...up and down...Months at a time
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,049
Images: 1
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_M View Post
I just replaced my batteries and I would like to put a trickle charger on them to prevent them from quickly draining (again). Couple of questions for all the experts out there. I already have a Battery Tender 750ma charger that I used with my motorcycle. I would like to leave the Battery Tender quick connect wires permanently attached to the batteries for easy attachment.

Would that 750ma be enough to keep the batteries charged on my 2020 25’ Flying Cloud? Also, would it be okay to leave the batteries connected “as-is” in the AS battery box and just hook the Battery Tender to them… much like you would a car? I don’t think hooking a battery tender up to them would hurt any existing connected wiring / components in the AS but I just want to check first.

BTW… Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.
Yes..That is exactly what the tender is made for. Consider at least the 2a version.

What style batt's?
Are they in the AS without a draw?

Our BB Lithium's stay in the AS, isolated without a draw all Winter.

I used to completely charge our Lifeline AGM's.
Leave them in the AS, isolated, without any draw all Winter without charging. Still OK at Spring get ready.
I use a 6v Battery Tender on our '53 Ford, 12hrs/day/365 with standard wet cell that is also disconnected, ck bi-monthy.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
greenflag's Avatar
 
2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 269
I leave my batteries hooked to Battery Tender for a couple of months at a time
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 163
All batteries have a self-discharge rate - refer to manufacturers specifications to know the specs of your battery .
Then after that , as batteries age , they can have an increase of their discharge rate .
Next is any parasitic load the battery may have on it connected to whatever it is used for - disconnect the battery / batteries .
Depending on size of battery bank , 750ma may not be enough - especially if not disconnected .
__________________
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
Ctmchristo's Avatar
 
1973 29' Ambassador
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 6
Smile JohnTF I need your help

JohnTF, everything you have done to your excella is what I want to do to my 29ft ambassador. Wanted to ask you in what order did you do those mods? I’ve just completed the cleaning process and kind of stuck where to move next? Any chance we could jump on a call? My email is jessemermuys@yahoo.com if your willing to help out that would be so much appreciated!
__________________
The Aluminum Falcon
Ctmchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
2020 25' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 9
Thanks for the input

Well, I ended up buying a Battery Tender 4a model just to be on the safe side. Attached the quick connect rings to the batteries and plugged her in. Seems to be working fine.

I am a little surprised by how quickly the batteries will drain down compared to other toys I've owned in the past. I was talking to the service manger at our local AS dealer on Friday and he basically said the same thing. Apparently dead batteries are pretty common with AS's compared to other models. He suggested installing a battery disconnect attached to the battery box. I may consider it but, now with the battery charger, it probably isn't necessary.
Larry_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745
 
guskmg's Avatar

 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,292
All Airstreams have high parasitic drains. The best answer is isolation switches of the heavy duty marine variety. I have one on the battery bank, solar system, and the inverter/charger. AGMs and Lithiums will last a long, long time islateded. Flooded batteries will last all winter. However, for best battery survival I would recommend a good trickle charger with battery type selection and a de-sulphater function.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #11
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,675
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_M View Post
Well, I ended up buying a Battery Tender 4a model just to be on the safe side. Attached the quick connect rings to the batteries and plugged her in. Seems to be working fine.

I am a little surprised by how quickly the batteries will drain down compared to other toys I've owned in the past. I was talking to the service manger at our local AS dealer on Friday and he basically said the same thing. Apparently dead batteries are pretty common with AS's compared to other models. He suggested installing a battery disconnect attached to the battery box. I may consider it but, now with the battery charger, it probably isn't necessary.
Has Airstream stopped installing the Zamp connector for external solar at the battery box? (It's just an SAE quick-connect, *should* be wired reverse of the SAE standard... mine was wired to the standard, so I use a reversing patch cord for the solar rather than for the smart maintainer.) That came on mine (not as an option) and I use that to plug in my smart trickle charger.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #12
New Member
 
Graham , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Battery Tender 750ma

I use the 750ma BT connected permanently to my single battery Bambi. If battery falls below 70% charge due to not being plugged in, BT will flash “not charging”, the battery must be charged from another source to that threshold before BT will charge. It can take the BT over a day to reach 100%. Otherwise the BT does an excellent job maintaining full charge with is best for lead acid battery health.
LDDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,675
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDuffy View Post
I use the 750ma BT connected permanently to my single battery Bambi. If battery falls below 70% charge due to not being plugged in, BT will flash “not charging”, the battery must be charged from another source to that threshold before BT will charge. It can take the BT over a day to reach 100%. Otherwise the BT does an excellent job maintaining full charge with is best for lead acid battery health.
That length of time to 100% is a function of the battery chemistry as much as of the low charger output... a much higher-amp "smart charger" will still take 18 hours or so to really get to 100% charge, because it drops way back to low amperage for that "topping" charge.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
Lafitte's Avatar
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 134
12v

I use one of these ,charges Both batteries.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....T%2BL._AC_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake ......which I also keep handy
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Tender Question EB25 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 8 06-24-2015 09:15 PM
Battery Tender Solar Question mrpettit Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 11 12-25-2014 10:35 AM
Battery Tender Hookup for two parallel batteries Tater Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 0 11-29-2010 04:28 PM
Deltran Battery Tender Gene Wissink Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 0 10-13-2010 05:57 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.