Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Grove City , Ohio
750ma Battery Tender Question

I just replaced my batteries and I would like to put a trickle charger on them to prevent them from quickly draining (again). Couple of questions for all the experts out there. I already have a Battery Tender 750ma charger that I used with my motorcycle. I would like to leave the Battery Tender quick connect wires permanently attached to the batteries for easy attachment.

Would that 750ma be enough to keep the batteries charged on my 2020 25’ Flying Cloud? Also, would it be okay to leave the batteries connected “as-is” in the AS battery box and just hook the Battery Tender to them… much like you would a car? I don’t think hooking a battery tender up to them would hurt any existing connected wiring / components in the AS but I just want to check first.

BTW… Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.
Larry_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
A 750 mA charger will work pretty well. With the switch in store I have about 200 mA in parasitic load and about 400-700 in the Use position, nothing on. If you have wet cells in store mode, it will consume a small amount of water so you will want to check level once a month.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
750ma Battery Tender Question

I use a batteryMinder for my cars lead acid and run it at 4amps. The batteries will take the current they want. The lowest setting on my unit is 2amps. BatteryMinder is great product.

Make sure to buy one with a desulfate feature...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Mine is 4 amps...up and down...Months at a time
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_M View Post
I just replaced my batteries and I would like to put a trickle charger on them to prevent them from quickly draining (again). Couple of questions for all the experts out there. I already have a Battery Tender 750ma charger that I used with my motorcycle. I would like to leave the Battery Tender quick connect wires permanently attached to the batteries for easy attachment.

Would that 750ma be enough to keep the batteries charged on my 2020 25’ Flying Cloud? Also, would it be okay to leave the batteries connected “as-is” in the AS battery box and just hook the Battery Tender to them… much like you would a car? I don’t think hooking a battery tender up to them would hurt any existing connected wiring / components in the AS but I just want to check first.

BTW… Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.
Yes..That is exactly what the tender is made for. Consider at least the 2a version.

What style batt's?
Are they in the AS without a draw?

Our BB Lithium's stay in the AS, isolated without a draw all Winter.

I used to completely charge our Lifeline AGM's.
Leave them in the AS, isolated, without any draw all Winter without charging. Still OK at Spring get ready.
I use a 6v Battery Tender on our '53 Ford, 12hrs/day/365 with standard wet cell that is also disconnected, ck bi-monthy.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I leave my batteries hooked to Battery Tender for a couple of months at a time
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
All batteries have a self-discharge rate - refer to manufacturers specifications to know the specs of your battery .
Then after that , as batteries age , they can have an increase of their discharge rate .
Next is any parasitic load the battery may have on it connected to whatever it is used for - disconnect the battery / batteries .
Depending on size of battery bank , 750ma may not be enough - especially if not disconnected .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Sacramento , California
Smile JohnTF I need your help

JohnTF, everything you have done to your excella is what I want to do to my 29ft ambassador. Wanted to ask you in what order did you do those mods? I’ve just completed the cleaning process and kind of stuck where to move next? Any chance we could jump on a call? My email is jessemermuys@yahoo.com if your willing to help out that would be so much appreciated!
Old 09-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Grove City , Ohio
Thanks for the input

Well, I ended up buying a Battery Tender 4a model just to be on the safe side. Attached the quick connect rings to the batteries and plugged her in. Seems to be working fine.

I am a little surprised by how quickly the batteries will drain down compared to other toys I've owned in the past. I was talking to the service manger at our local AS dealer on Friday and he basically said the same thing. Apparently dead batteries are pretty common with AS's compared to other models. He suggested installing a battery disconnect attached to the battery box. I may consider it but, now with the battery charger, it probably isn't necessary.
Larry_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
All Airstreams have high parasitic drains. The best answer is isolation switches of the heavy duty marine variety. I have one on the battery bank, solar system, and the inverter/charger. AGMs and Lithiums will last a long, long time islateded. Flooded batteries will last all winter. However, for best battery survival I would recommend a good trickle charger with battery type selection and a de-sulphater function.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_M View Post
Well, I ended up buying a Battery Tender 4a model just to be on the safe side. Attached the quick connect rings to the batteries and plugged her in. Seems to be working fine.

I am a little surprised by how quickly the batteries will drain down compared to other toys I've owned in the past. I was talking to the service manger at our local AS dealer on Friday and he basically said the same thing. Apparently dead batteries are pretty common with AS's compared to other models. He suggested installing a battery disconnect attached to the battery box. I may consider it but, now with the battery charger, it probably isn't necessary.
Has Airstream stopped installing the Zamp connector for external solar at the battery box? (It's just an SAE quick-connect, *should* be wired reverse of the SAE standard... mine was wired to the standard, so I use a reversing patch cord for the solar rather than for the smart maintainer.) That came on mine (not as an option) and I use that to plug in my smart trickle charger.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Battery Tender 750ma

I use the 750ma BT connected permanently to my single battery Bambi. If battery falls below 70% charge due to not being plugged in, BT will flash “not charging”, the battery must be charged from another source to that threshold before BT will charge. It can take the BT over a day to reach 100%. Otherwise the BT does an excellent job maintaining full charge with is best for lead acid battery health.
LDDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDuffy View Post
I use the 750ma BT connected permanently to my single battery Bambi. If battery falls below 70% charge due to not being plugged in, BT will flash “not charging”, the battery must be charged from another source to that threshold before BT will charge. It can take the BT over a day to reach 100%. Otherwise the BT does an excellent job maintaining full charge with is best for lead acid battery health.
That length of time to 100% is a function of the battery chemistry as much as of the low charger output... a much higher-amp "smart charger" will still take 18 hours or so to really get to 100% charge, because it drops way back to low amperage for that "topping" charge.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
12v

I use one of these ,charges Both batteries.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....T%2BL._AC_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1