Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
50A Airstream and Lithium batteries

I had posted the following on a different thread thread and it was suggested I start a separate one:

I have a new AS Globetrotter on order. According to what I've read on this thread and what the salesman told me it comes with a multistage charger (I'm assuming it is a WF8955). The new AS is 50 amps.

In my current AS I have replaced the old converter/charger with a PD-4655 model. Recently the lead acid batteries were removed and I installed a Battleborn Lithium-Ion battery. I plan to transfer the lithium battery to my new AS upon arrival.

So my question for those of you who are far more qualified to discuss this issue than I, should plans be made to replace the converter/charger? What are the pros and cons?

I'm glad someone understands how these things work!

Thanks!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Does anyone know that make and model of the converter/charger used in 2018 AS in general, or the GT specifically?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Does anyone know that make and model of the converter/charger used in 2018 AS in general, or the GT specifically?

Thanks!
According to the AS manual https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf
page 5-9

Automatic Micro-Controller Operation
The power converters 3-stage switch mode is fully
automatic. The converter senses which mode it needs
to be in by checking the condition of the battery. The
three modes include:
Absorption Mode: During this mode the converter
output is in the 13.6 VDC range. This is the mode
that the converter will function at normally. This mode
provides the 12 VDC and the current required by the
trailer.
Bulk Mode: In this mode, the output voltage of the
converter will switch to 14.4 VDC range for a maximum
of four hours. If the converter cycles between
“Absorption and Bulk modes”, there could be a shorted
battery cell or other issues.
Float Mode: If the trailer has not been used for a
period of time and the shore power has been left
plugged in, the converter will automatically go into
float mode with a voltage of 13.2. When the converter
senses a demand, by turning on lights, the converter
automatically returns to absorption mode.

parts breakdown is here, but it doesn't say the model
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
According to the AS manual https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf
page 5-9

Automatic Micro-Controller Operation
The power converters 3-stage switch mode is fully
automatic. The converter senses which mode it needs
to be in by checking the condition of the battery. The
three modes include:
Absorption Mode: During this mode the converter
output is in the 13.6 VDC range. This is the mode
that the converter will function at normally. This mode
provides the 12 VDC and the current required by the
trailer.
Bulk Mode: In this mode, the output voltage of the
converter will switch to 14.4 VDC range for a maximum
of four hours. If the converter cycles between
“Absorption and Bulk modes”, there could be a shorted
battery cell or other issues.
Float Mode: If the trailer has not been used for a
period of time and the shore power has been left
plugged in, the converter will automatically go into
float mode with a voltage of 13.2. When the converter
senses a demand, by turning on lights, the converter
automatically returns to absorption mode.

parts breakdown is here, but it doesn't say the model
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf
Thanks for supplying this information.

So for those of you who are well versed in electrical systems, would this work with a lithium battery?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
All I could find on these batteries is this from this site:

https://www.altestore.com/store/deep...teries-p40844/

FAQs:
- What are the charging parameters? Bulk/Absorption : For your Bulk/Absorption stage, the ideal voltage is between 14.2v-14.6v. This range will allow the battery to fully charge any higher then this and the built in BMS will send the battery into a protect mode.
Float: Our batteries do not need to float so setting your Float voltage to 13.6v or lower will essentially turn it off.
Equalization: Equalization is not recommended for our batteries. Most chargers will allow you to shut this feature off or use a setting that does not use equalization. If you cannot turn off this mode then you will need to adjust the voltage to below 14.6v

Temperature Compensation: Temperature compensation is not needed with our batteries and in some cases, may trigger the built in BMS to go into protect mode. For this reason, we recommend that temperature compensation be shut off or set to 0.

So basically only the bulk mode charge at 14.4 would charge your battery. The absorption(13.6) and the float(13.2) are useless. I cannot find anything else to indicate what the charging profile should be. So going by this information it would appear that this charger would work. But this is contrary to the normal method of charging lithium see: https://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm

I not sure if others that have these systems can verify this or not. Personally I would install a proper charger designed for lithium or one that you can customise the charging profile.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi Hans,
The 8955 is a 30 amp service power center. I think you will be getting something else if you have 50 amp service coming. I'm going to check with Airstream to be sure but you should also check with your dealer too since they are the one delivering and might have something up their sleeve during the transition from Parallax to WFCO. I will never understand Airstream thinking but then again I don't get paid to so...
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Hi Hans,
The 8955 is a 30 amp service power center. I think you will be getting something else if you have 50 amp service coming. I'm going to check with Airstream to be sure but you should also check with your dealer too since they are the one delivering and might have something up their sleeve during the transition from Parallax to WFCO. I will never understand Airstream thinking but then again I don't get paid to so...

Thanks for your response. I have a call into the salesman and he said he will check and let me know the model no.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Hi Hans,
You are correct in that it is not a 8955 unit. The converter/charger for a 50A service is WF-8930/50. Shown below is a picture. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4311.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	303060